Define "Speed"

Discussion in 'Amphetamine' started by Anabolic Monkey, May 1, 2006.

1. Anabolic Monkey

Anabolic Monkey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I know there are different types of amphetamines.... meth, dex, but what exactly is speed? would it be considered any type of amphetamine? would adderall be considered speed? as crystal meth?

2. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I think it depends on your area. I always thought speed = methamphetamine, but some say speed = amphetamine.
    Just slang, really.

3. klaatu

klaatu Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Around these parts speed was always defined as "Distance covered divided by time taken" as opposed to "Velocity" - which as any fule kno is a vector and depends on direction.

On the drugs front though "speed" always meant Amphetamines.

:D

Klaatu

4. Sitbcknchill

Sitbcknchill Retired Platinum Member & Advisor Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    111 y/o from U.S.A.
    Yeah speed is slang in drug terms so different people tend to use it to call out different substances sometimes....As Klaatu mentioned, speed referrs to amphetamine salts or sulphate.....note that some also use the term to describe methampetamine....but 90% of the time the person is probley talking about amphetamine rather than methamphetamine...

5. Dogears

Dogears Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Speed can either meam methamphetamine or any amphetamine that induced "simple" stimulent effects, as oppsed to aphetamines like methylone or MDMA that induce epathogentic effects and stimulation.

6. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I have always referred to amphetamine as speed. In the states though, if someone is talking about speed, they are probably referring to meth.

7. xpr´k

xpr´k Newbie

Reputation Points:
    speed where i live is whatever the chemist cooked up as amphetamine salts excluding methamphetamines, its sold as a powder which is snorted or bombed.
    Meth is very rare in my country and i think in the whole of europe for that matter, which i hope will never change.
    Ive seen the addictiveness of speed in several of my classm8's in highschool and that shit is allready extremely addictive and destructive to your body.
    Meth is totally out of the question for me, amphetamines by itself are allready very dangerous and almost always seem to end up in drugabuse instead of druguse.

8. wertfun

wertfun Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from finland
    yes, it would be considered any type of amph. depends on where you live. But I think adderall and dexetrine wouldnt be called as speed maybe because they are pills and trademarks, but we can say they have speed inside.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2012
  9. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'm in the states. I don't know many meth-heads...well, I know about 6 of them. They usually refer to meth as 'ice', 'crystal', or just simply meth. I associate 'speed' with amphetamine, but that may just be me. I can see how 'speed' could refer to both though and I wouldn't automatically assume that one is speaking of amphetamine when they use the term 'speed'. You can sometimes tell by the context of the conversation.

10. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Ok on another related question what does crank mean? is that slang for normal amphetamine, another word swim hears used is base when some people swim knows talk about speed. I thought base was something to do with rock

11. StigmataLectron

StigmataLectron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    Alicia, I think crank refers to methamphetamine. But of course it's all dialectical. Before I got around, I always thought speed = meth, no exceptions. But you know language, how words seem to apply to their synonyms, or drug slang terms attatch to their similar-effects relatives. Just try asking five random people what "Dope" is.. until I read a lot, I thought it could only refer to grass.

12. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah, I've only heard "crank" used in reference to methamphetamine...not sure about base though, although, it does sound as if it would be a reference to rock.

13. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
  14. StigmataLectron

StigmataLectron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    Bah, I hate it when the scientests make assumtions on how people feel based on speculations of brain chemical production. If they believe that marijuana will cause someone to be depressed, ask a marijuana user.

In SWIM's experience, the first time he tried pot he was uber-depressed the day after. Whether this was because of dopamine depletion, or because the day before, he came onto his best friend repeatedly before giving up in confusion. He made her feel uncomfortable, and felt pretty bad about it, so that's a very good candidate for why I was emo the next day. But I can tell them, from experience: marijuana doesn't make SWIM depressed. :p

15. trial-x

trial-x Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Speed can apply to both amphetamines and methamphetamines. While different regions may have slang preferences that dictate the appropriate use of the term, it is the context in which they are used that's important. They are "speed" when they are used recreationally, or "meds" when taken as prescribed.

Crank refers to the street form of methamphetamines, not to amphetamines or prescription methamphetamines.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2006
  16. bombastique

bombastique Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    SWIM told me that speed is actually considered to be dextro-amphetamine... But he also said that dealers will tell you anything you want to hear, just as long as you buy what they are selling.

17. Octo42o

Octo42o Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Any Stimulant really could be called speed. Even coke since its usually cut w/ some tweak. In My area Speed isnt really a term. Mostly Shit, tweak, ice, crank or chard for Meth.

Why is dope another slang word for Speed?

18. Octo42o

Octo42o Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Oh okay, cus ppl say "hey doppey" as in the seven dwarfs, so I thought it related to being stoned or heroined out. So when they say dope Swim thinks weed or H bomb cus it makes you dopey.

19. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Thats what swia thought. how dope can be referred to the speed i dunno..

20. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    I have always thought of 'crank' as sort of a lower-grade speed that contains a lot of impurities... popular with the lower classes in the U.S. and probably cooked up in someone's kitchen laboratory. Or at least that's the image in SWIM's head that's been there a long time.