Experiences - Depakote ER (divalproex sodium)

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by Psilocybe S., Jul 30, 2004.

1. Psilocybe S.

Psilocybe S. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Okay, this isnt exactly a Benzo, but this is the only good pill forum.

I have 3 of these 500mg Depakote ER pills. I've done some research and such, and they're for "Migrains and Sezieurs". When we gave one to my friend, he couldent move.(sounds pleasant)I havent talked to him since, so I cant figure out all the effects, but I know he's fine.I assume it's safe to take one..but I'm still not too sure.

I looked on Erowid and I cant find anything, and this is what bugs me. But I've come across good pills that havent been on Erowid before..

Has anyone taken Depakote ER or just normal Depakotes? I want to take this tonight, and it would be cool if I can get some feedback on experiences if anyone has any.

Thanks.

2. OneDiaDem

OneDiaDem Nefelibata Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I used to take Depacote for about 6 months, it was prescribed. Not the ER, but I tell ya, I hated it. It did nothing for me, and also, as an added bonus, it made half my hair fall out.

3. Psilocybe S.

Psilocybe S. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Wow, I heard about the hair loss..I thought side effects that are listed in pills are uncommon, but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the Info, I wont be trying these anytime lol.

4. OneDiaDem

OneDiaDem Nefelibata Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Mind you, that was after 6 months of daily use. When I brought it to the attention of my Dr., he said that centrum silver vitamins prevent the hair loss. I didnt care at that point however, clumps of my hair were coming out, and I was over it. This was 7 years ago, and my hair has finally recovered and grown back. It did suck big time.

I have a really weird chemical imbalance. I cant say one way or another what this drug would do for anyone else. For me, it just wasnt worth it. One of my friends takes it, and swears by it. But this is for bipolar disorder, not recreational use. So, someone else will have to add to this as far as recreational use goes.

5. Psilocybe S.

Psilocybe S. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Well I value my long, beautiful hair, and I'll just not take the chance. haha

I found out that I was lied to, and my friend never took the pill..I almost made a mistake of taking it because I thought someone else did..

But yeah, I understand that you were talking about 6months of daily use, and not just once. But I mean, if it did nothing for you, why should it do something for anyone else?

thanks for the info, i'd say you're the most helpful person on these forums.

6. Raoul duke420

Raoul duke420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Any swiys ever on depakote take LSD at the same time? I take depakote for seizure control but wants to take a dose of sum blotter that is around, It sounds like I will be ok, anyone else have expierience with this?

7. Heretic.Ape.

Heretic.Ape. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    monkey takes depakote for his epilepsy and has taken acid in combination with the medication before. No negative affects were noticed but I can not vouch that it is completely without harm, this being purely anecdotal evidence.

8. Raoul duke420

Raoul duke420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thank you man^ Appreciate the feedback!

9. highguy

highguy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    yea I took 3 of the 500mgs yesterday. stong buzz then drank some beer and got super depressed.

10. Heretic.Ape.

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ^ You took valproic acid for recreational purposes? I would dissuade people from doing so. I can't imagine it would do anything pleasant, nor anything good for someone not fitting into the prescription parameters. High doses are not good for one's kidneys, liver, etc. and certainly shouldn't be combined with alcohol in the event that someone decided (god knows why) that it sounded like a good idea to take them in the first place.

11. Graduisic

Graduisic Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    I am prescribed Depakote ER and does not experience any hint of possible recreational value to them. The medication is prescribed for seizures, bipolar disorder (why I takes it), and for migraines. He has not been taking it for very long (under a month) but the effects are supposed to make him "have a longer fuse" as his psychiatrist said. More info will be posted here as time goes on.

12. emoduckie

emoduckie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    No recreational use here?

I am getting a bottle soon, and was told it was similar to Adderall... Guess not.

13. Heretic.Ape.

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Definitely not. When taking this medication at therapeutic doses, one needs to constantly get bloodwork to make sure their liver isn't disintegrating too quickly from the drug. This isn't something you'd like to take too much of.

14. Oxyman11:11

Oxyman11:11 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    Swim just got rx'd it for severe migraine / headaches - he looked over the drug summary and the possible side efx are too severe to take a chance. No go for yo.

So no one has clearly stated any recreational use? I welcome MORE data.

15. SamanthaRabbit

SamanthaRabbit Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My rabbit was prescribed Depakote off and on over a 2 year period and she experienced extreme negative side effects. These included but not to exclude those not mentioned:

Gaining 60lbs from January 02 - May 02
    Sloth like tendencies, there was no pep in my step anymore
    Suffered from severe ticks, couldn't sit still
    Hallucinations, Reality mixed with the alternate reality that embraced me while on Depakote
    Loss of Memory
    and Loss of coordination

Just to name some of the worst side effects I have ever experienced from a medication. I was a very petite girl when starting this medication, though very unhappy, to being a 5'2 160lb pregnant looking (but not)numb 14 year old. I was prescribed this drug in such high doses that she was sedated enough the entire time on them to not remember those months at all.

I feel that this drug overall has done more damage to her than any other drugs she has ever taken.

A staff member at the treatment center I was at did a term paper discussing Swim's case and some of the things that were said and happen were crazy things that I had said about being haunted by my uncle who swim lived with before entering treatment. I was shocked to hear about the things that she had said, because she had absolutely no recollection of saying those things. They did show swim her file and it was in the daily notes over the first month I was there. The reason Swim said these things, couldn't remember these things, and then long before ever experimenting with illegal drugs Swim's memory totally shot and brain was never the same and I no longer was I the writer I was before entering treatment at 14.

To this day I know others who have had similar sad stories as mine with their experiences with this drug. I don't wish anyone the effects that she experienced and would only hope that maybe this will save someone the trouble of trying Depakote.

16. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    Thanks for sharing that SWISamanatharabbit. This drug sounds like yet another disaster cooked up by the pharmaceutical companies and well avoided. I have read similar stories about pharmaceuticals prescribed to kids.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  17. SamanthaRabbit

SamanthaRabbit Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The saddest part is doctors know about the negative side effects but they still prescribe this medication in high doses and sometimes even in conjunction with other medications that can lead to a person being even more slow. Swim dated someone as an adult who was prescribed Depakote, Risperdal (causes lactation as a side effect, been there done that), and Paxil and its almost as though the combo was more harmful than helpful for him. He had some serious issues with being crazy and the medication didn't help him, it made him gain a lot of weight leaving him more unhappy and depressed, increased his paranoia, made him groggy all the time, and they made him a more edgy individual.

I have been prescribed a lot of different antidepressants in her life and Depakote was the least successful.

18. Oxyman11:11

Oxyman11:11 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    this is the precise feel I got from the asswipe doc that was analyzing him - - as a neurologist this shit for brains did not allow sweim to speak and nor explain his symptoms or detail what is going - he simply cut swim off and interrupted constantly.

Its all about the money and writing rx's that will help his bottom line.

swim also had a water bottle - a hiking type - that swim carries everywhere and the neurologist asked why such a water bottle was necessary and why swim drinks water?

Another test was to prick swim with a clothes pin to test if he felt it - I had a major phobia to needles so refused - the doc asked swim how he knew he was afraid of needles and was he sure it would hurt if pricked?

:mad::mad::mad:

19. chibi curmudgeon

chibi curmudgeon Gold Finger Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    As retarded as this question may seem at first glance, he might have been wondering if You were particularly thirsty or had dry mouth. But the reason for the question should have been clarified. If I ever ask a patient a question that seems weird, I make a point of explaining why I asked it. I've never understood why some practitioners want to keep their patients in the dark; the more they know, the better they understand why it's necessary to do the things they should do.

Divalproex may suck, and it's not anything anyone would want to take recreationally (taking it with alcohol is particularly fucking stupid), but it's still an important treatment for seizures and bipolar disorder. It's no longer 1st line (in many cases) because there are newer and safer antiepileptic/antimanic drugs, but I wouldn't call it a disaster.

20. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Someone in FUBARs family had these prescribed and got frequent anxiety issues from it. Especially when a dose was missed or taken behind schedule. The person was then taken off the depakine and had to slowly reduce doses over time, which caused further anxiety attacks.