Depressed from smoking pot?

Discussion in 'Cannabis & Health' started by solitary girl, Mar 16, 2005.

1. solitary girl

solitary girl Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I heard that after a while you get depressed, as aneffect from smoking pot a long time, ´cause the brain emty it selfs from seratonin.

Has anyone of yougot depressed as a couse of somking pot , as longterm effect ?

(I don´t mean when your stoned but as an effect in between.)

2. purplehaze

purplehaze Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yes but why is this topic posted twice? read my other post in baboola or whatever his name is i forgot already thats terrible, anyways yeah.

3. shaun3416

shaun3416 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've never smoked pot but I have taken abnormal psych classes and a ton of biology and chemistry classes, and what you said is true to an extent. During the time of smoking, the pot is going to act like somewhat of a SSRI (somewhat not totally) and those are just a fancy way of saying antidepressants that inhibit the reuptake of the neurotransmitter seratonin. So when the weed is going through your system the seratonin is being blocked sometimes from going back up into thesendingneuron...this extra seratonin sitting inside this synapse, the space in between two neurotransmitters, will give you these incredible feelings of peace and comfort and all the stuff thats said to come from weed smoking. But when you deprive yourself from this weed, you go back down into a depressive state just because your body is used to this extra seratonin flowing around...so I'm not totally sure if it makes you depressed it might just make you feel depressed because you know what its like having the effects of smoking weed which is somewhat a type of euphorant...and when you come down from the euphoric cloud into reality its going to suck for sure. I would say just smoke on occasion like once every 1-2 weeks...this shouldnt screw you up too bad i dont think.

shaun

4. purplehaze

purplehaze Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well sometimes i can smoke for weeks at a time and quit and nothing happens but sometimes it does, i think it all has to do with how i feel when i wake up in the morning how i focus my physcological addiction toward marijuana when i quit the best thing to do for me is to quit hanging around my friends that smoke pot intill i can have about a week or two to get my shit str8 and sometimes i just tell myself there isnt anymore that it doesnt exist but thats false and wont work for long so you have to do it on ur on, kicking weed for periods of times to pass drug test or whatever isnt hard at all i dont get any long term effects and after about 3 weeks of quiting my memory is like a 8 grader in school perfect.

5. Djvr16

Djvr16 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've noticed I've gotten much more apathetic and depressed since I've started almost a year ago.

6. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Seems to keep my depression from getting worse.

7. Iggypoop

Iggypoop Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I supoose its all a matter of taste, some people find smoking everyday greatly enhances their life (lol in my experience its nearly always the highly strung people), for me tho i like to give up every once in a while so i can get my memory back (weed messes up my memory really bad!). Its nice to know that you can give up as well. For me i def feel a little depressed after smoking hard for a while, could just be me getting paranoid about getting paranoid! hahaha

8. thelizardking8945

thelizardking8945 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    short term? yes, youll be somewhat depressed. long term? hell no, after
    not smoking for awhile youll get used to the lower seratonin levels. i
    had to quite after smokin 3 times a day for 2 years. i felt depressed
    (in a way), but it went away very promptly in like 2 weeks for me.

9. Wintersleep

Wintersleep Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i find that the mood you're in before smoking is simply amplified when you're stoned.

10. max17

max17 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    I usually smoke once a week on the weekends. I have the best time of my life. Monday or tuesday i feel deppressed as hell. Marijuana causes depression.

11. dletterman

dletterman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Recently after a 2 months of 3+ times a day I stopped. I was a little depressed/cranky for a few days than back to normal. I find the depression is just me adjusting to being sober again.

12. whatsinaname

whatsinaname Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yes, after a long enough period of not using and stopping suddenly, of course you would get depressed.

one shudders to think what life would be like in the current day and
    age without pot...but i will have to get used to it as I am going to be
    on probation very shortly. ah well, at least twack only stays in
    your system for 48 hours.

13. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    I get wicked depressed when I run out.

14. 42itis

42itis Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yes it can, there are some simple rules that can help you avoid problems with this: First, dont smoke until you have been awake for 4 hours or more. Second, do not use more than 3 or 4 inhalations in a 12 hour period. Third, unless you are using it a medicine, do not smoke it every day. Fourth, and most important share it with a nice friend that you can talk with.

15. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I find for myself the depression can come from avoidance of doing things that one is supposed to be doing. So now I wait till the dishes are done, the work is over and the chillin' is okay to begin. It can cause too much anxiety otherwise. But it is indeed a cns depressant.

16. insanity

insanity Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i dont know if it's depleted seratonin, but i've been
    getting depressed from smoking too much al the time,
    it's always good to give breaks, but i smoke to the
    point where i don't watn to smoke anymore, but smoke
    more just because i have nothing to do. i feel like i
    have no purpose and lame and pathetic. I've admitted to
    myself and others i'm an addict to drugs, and thats why
    i am depressed. because i put drugs before life and
    happiness. neways, i can go on and on.

17. MescalinePirate

MescalinePirate Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yeah I find it depresses me.

18. BlackFang

BlackFang Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yes, it does make me depressed. I find that if I smoke alone, I get depressed more often, because I think about things, and i am unable to resolve them without talking them through with people. Smoke with people, and its usually better. After a craazy long marijuana binge (smoking 6-7 times a day for 3 months), i found that when i started to cut back, i missed the exclusion from reality, and it made me depressed, but thats just me.

19. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I don't think it has anything to do with serotonin as such, but in the case of cannabis, too much of a good thing will take the fun out of it. Amazing gear loaded with THC can seem like a blast at first but can become quite a standard buzz once you get very used to it.

This won't happen to me though because the gear here is absolute garbage and I only stumble across good shit every few weeks.

20. Explotation

Explotation Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I really don't get to depressed. I smoke once every other weekend with friends, maybe it's just because of how little I do but it really isn't THAT amazing of a high so I just look forward to it andgo on through the week and look forward to it on the weekends.Edited by: Explotation