Side effects - Depression While on Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by biglifter56, Apr 12, 2007.

1. biglifter56

biglifter56 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    so swim's dog baxter decided to do some shrooms a few months ago. he told me that he felt really depressed the whole time. it wasnt a bad trip, he just felt really depressed about everything. baxter said its only ever happened on this one batch of shrooms. all the ones hes tried before never made him feel like that. anyone know why?

2. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: depression when taking shrooms

Psilcybin mushrooms often have strong emotional effects. my wife once spent 15 minutes crying on them, while saying that she had no idea why she was crying - it was just what she needed to do! Unhappy or euphoric experiences can sometimes occur with no warning or expectation with psychedelics, it's part and parcel of their unpredictable nature. However, mindset can often play a part, and perhaps your friend was in a state of mind at the time which hindered his enjoyment of the experience. I certainly wouldn't blame it on the mushrooms, they contain the same chemicals regardless of whether or not one enjoys their effects.

3. psycholic

psycholic Newbie

Reputation Points:

I find that when taking any psychedelic he prepares for the trip by having a small lunch take a bath and then begin his journey. The bath is the time that will allow you to relax and let the stresses of the day leave you/SWIM.

4. augentier

augentier Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Yeah, sometimes shrooms (or any other drug that can drastically change mood) can throw You into a fit or just a really low place..happened to SWIM the last time she ate shrooms. I think maybe you should just prepare yourself for the next trip...mental preparation is the most imporant, like SWIpsycholic takes a bath beforehand..do whatever relaxes you and remind yourself that bad trips are just part of the experience of eating shrooms. It's easier to move on when you learn how to correct whatever went wrong.

5. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

SWIM once had a very similar trip. He dragged himself into a thought-loop where his entire world seemed meaningless and dull. This only lasted the length of the trip though and he felt very relieved afterwards and cheered up. Magic mushrooms are very introspective in a sense. They can analyse an emotion that may have been bottled up for years. Their effects are very random because of this.

6. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:

If shrooms make You depressed, then SWIdr suggests You takes am average dose of 5-HTP (OTC), or L-Theonine (OTC) in a dose of 100-300mgs), (anywhere from 4h-45mins before shroom trip).

7. augentier

augentier Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
  8. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:

5-htp is a precurser to seratonin,it should also increse CEVs i dont know about the other one.swim often find himself speechless/sad(yet still very happy)while on shrooms

9. Flimmar

Flimmar Newbie

Reputation Points:

I don't think 5-HTP would do the trick - at least not in the long run. If You gets it like this, due to the mushrooms, then it's probaly just a random happening - it happens to everyone doing mushrooms occasionaly. Now, if You was brought into the state of depression, due to the emotional enhancer from the mushrooms and a depressing element in you's life, then You should learn to solve the problem.

I know it sounds dull to wait doing mushrooms 'till the problems are solved (some problems, which cause depression could take a long time to solve), but just knowing you're doing something about the problem will ease your mind, and would in most cases make your mind rest.

10. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

There was a trip that scared SWIM sober for two years decades ago. I remember crying, depression, fear, and then exceptance of some sort ... SWIM probably just couldn't handle it anymore.

I have found that long hours before a trytamine can cause depression and phobia.

11. augentier

augentier Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

What exactly do you mean?

12. Flimmar

Flimmar Newbie

Reputation Points:

I think he means late at night, starting a trip. Or maybe he's talking about being a bit tired when going on a trip.

If so, yes, it's very thoughtless, and if You decides to do so, well then you've deserved it.

13. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:

Well the first one, SWIdr does regret suggesting. 5-HTP is just a general drug which help with depression. But L-Theonine is an (OTC) drug, which some would say has some effects simalar to benzodiazepines. So the latter might help a bad shroom trip, but 5-HTP is just a general depression suggestion (which should probably be taken every day). Of course consult a certafied doc and or experienced person before starting.

14. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

You may want to look into using Kava-Kava as a complement to his mushroom trips, as it doesn't diminish the quality of the trip but rather diminishes anxiety and has been reported to make for a much more euphoric experience.

I have had shrooms that were extremely euphoric, to the point where he could compare the feeling to MDMA, and also has had some that were very dark and depressing. It could be simple set or setting, or maybe something more at work. Whatever the case, careful planning and preparation would probably be helpful, and some 5-HTP or Kava to help swiy's psyche along could be beneficial as well.

15. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:

Yes, Kava kava doesn't seem to interact with shrooms, and it does calm one down, very good advice!

16. biglifter56

biglifter56 Newbie

Reputation Points:

swim's dog said he really likes the idea of relaxing a bit before he takes them. just to clear his mind...swim's dog doesnt get depressed everytime he takes them, just recently.

17. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:

True, a general rule when taking hallucenogens is a clear mind. Always make sure one hasn't experienced a traumatic event or is anxious or depressed the day he plans on taking the specific hallucenogen (in this case, shrooms).

18. I<3Salvia

I<3Salvia Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Swim thinks sometimes one has to have a bad trip. This isn't in swim's mind actually "bad" it's just uncomfortable. I have had multiple trips where he's cried for 15 to 30 minutes at a time, but he analyzed why, and was thankful for the relief that the trip did for him. When he cried on mushrooms, it felt like his entire burden (or a large part of it) was being lifted from him, enabling him to continue on with his life. Taking other supplements and such to try and prevent a bad trip may be advised on a chemical level, but on a psychological level swim sees no benefit. Sometimes one has to tread the uncomfortable path for mental and spiritual growth. To those who wish to do mushrooms for only the good parts, I would advise to try another drug as mushrooms would probably not be the best for you in the long run.

Everybody has a bad trip sometime, and it's actually analyzing the trip, and dealing with the information that gives the real bliss and euphoria in the long run.

19. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    This is true, but it would be a better idea to deal with ones emotions without having to have hallucinogens drag them out.
    I have suffered with depression most of his life and has been on medication for the last 13+ years, however it is only in the last year and a half that he has been making huge progress thanks to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

Being able to talk openly and freely about things has done Swim more good than all the medication ever did. I have had emotional trips in the past however they were few and far between, he has not had any such experiences lately.

Substances like LSD and Psilocybin will drag stuff to the surface and anyone who is not used to that experience might find themselves being forced to confront their inner selves.

Where drugs like alcohol can mostly push emotions deeper into the recesses of a persons mind and essentially hide them away giving a person a temporary release from any anguish or issues, mushrooms often seem to dig stuff up and slap the person in the face with them.

I would recommend everyone Talk to someone, or have someone to talk to. Someone they can be completely honest with about their fears, their past and their problems. For Swim at least he prefers to have that emotional release in a controlled environment than under the influence of drugs.

In an ideal world Mushroom/LSD Therapy would be available to those who can not open up easily or need to go deeper into themselves but thats not going to happen, not now anyway, but until it does I would much rather see people going to professional therapists to try and get to the root of any emotional issues and avoid hallucinogens. I have seen some train wreck trips occur when people with mental issues found themselves forced to face up to themselves under the influence.

20. I<3Salvia

I<3Salvia Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This is true, however in swim's case, and this is probably true for many others, he has things pushed down so far and twisted around in his mind that he doesn't even know that it's really an issue until something forces it out of him. Going to counseling hasn't worked very well for him, as his defenses are so high by the time he walks into the therapist's office, he doesn't even consciously feel that there are any problems. Even after over 6 months of digging, and trying to make it work, he has seen little progress from his therapy.

He was only able to cry twice in his life until he discovered psychedelics. Thanks to them, he is finally able to find this healthy release for a lot of his negative feelings. He has also been more able to accept a whole range of other emotions and feelings, besides the negative one's that he's been feeling his entire life, especially from the aforementioned "magic mushroom." The therapy he's subjected himself to with mushrooms and lsd in particular, has widened his perception on certain topics and points of his life, things that were bothering him before are not such an issue anymore.

Swim also believes that the change in neuro-chemistry that hallucinogens bring is vital in some cases to the mental healing process. Just like a lot of doctors and psychiatrists believe that anti-depressants are invaluable because they bring a change at the chemical level to "snap" one out of depression, I believe psychedelics bring about this needed boost in another way. While mainly a happy experience, tripping can also be painful. Both can be equally as helpful if looked at in the right light for a given instance during a person's trip. For example, pain could be to bring light upon a person's specific pain, and happiness can help a person finally "get over" a certain trauma, or release one long enough to help escape the binds of constant, every-day depression so the person can view it from another perspective and change it.

I couldn't agree with You more. This is one of the main reasons that I believe these are vital to a person's therapy in many cases. Therapy in and of itself is not usually capable of throwing the issue in a person's face like an in-depth trip is able to. He says "usually" because he has never seen it, but never likes to throw anything out of the realm of possibility. Trips can also bring up either supressed, or forgotten memories of important earlier experiences in one's life that could have brought the "issue" around to begin with. This is equally helpful in showing the person a more complete picture of what's going on.

Novel advice. Swim also recommends one find a strong support group to help one through their life. When one creates bonds like these, one is not only helped, but is able to help, giving the healing process a double-whammy in finally dealing with issues.

For the people who are deathly afraid of themselves I would say this advice should be taken to heart, but these people are usually the ones who avoid psychedelics and hallucinogens anyway. Without getting into a huge lecture, the best words swim can find to describe his point are... "Proceed with caution, if this is what one chooses to do." Research, research, research, before doing any of it. Experience light trips, and medium trips before one decides to try the intense stuff. Do your counceling with yourself and a friend, a professional, if possible both and try to get an overlay of your problems. Have the right setting, people around, and goal in mind while tripping. And most importantly, if one does find oneself in these, "depressed", or "bad trips" then analyze this case double in comparison to one's other experiences. There is wisdom, truth, and insight to be found with these experiences. Most people experience a bad trip, and vow to never do the trip again, in fear of repeating the experience. These are usually the people from swim's experience, who do not like to analyze themselves to begin with and really find what the problem was. You can't hide from yourself forever without paying a horrible price, eventually one has to face the music some way or other.

Hopefully I has gotten his point across without making anyone too angry. He loves all you guys! :vibes: