"Detox 5" program in UK- rapid heroin detox??

Discussion in 'General Addiction discussion' started by latter, Feb 12, 2005.

1. latter

latter Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My daughter has a 3 year heroin habit - athough has spent the last 16 months on methadone replacement.

She now really wants to go clean, however, has tried going cold previousely and has never made it past day 3.

She now wants to try an ultra rapid detox and a friend has recommended
    a clinic here in the uk called detox 5. This a rather sudden 5 day
    program consisting of 3 days anisthisa and then - so it seems to me -
    being shoved out of the door on naltrexone

I have serious doubts about both the method and the clinic - their
    rather flashy media claims 98% success rate (although they don't seem
    to quite qualify what a "success rate" is).

Before she takes the step to enter this program can anyone here tell me if they have any experince of this clinic or similar?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
  2. speedqueen

speedqueen Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Their success rate could be anything..24 hours clean even! imho a more suitable treatment would be a 28 detox and a rehab period..teach her how to live without her drug :) The 5 day treatment is drastic for a habit that took 3 years to get!

I hope all goes well, I trust you have numbers in the UK for advice, otherwise I'll help you out :)

speedqueen

3. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    SWIM asked me to say...

Please don't let your daughter do this me and my partner have been battling addiction me for 3yrs my partner for 7. we have know people go on the detox 5 program and all they do is put you to sleep for 3-4 day during which time you shit and puke all over your self. and charge you about £2000 for it also there is no after care and your daughter could easily relapse especially if she has same group of friends etc. if you want to chat give me a shout and i will help any way i can i would say to stick with your g.p or treatment service they can give her Subutex(bupreorphine + naloxone) but you still then need to cut down on that. another possibility is ketamine used in Russia for the same thing you use k for a week and keeps you slightly high so you dont notice the withdrawal ketamine is controled in the uk but me and partner have done this and wher clean for 6 months good luck for the both of you

4. moda00

moda00 R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My understanding of the premise is that it is intended to simply get the acute withdrawals over with while the person is unconscious, thereby bypassing the physical an mental anguish of the immediate symptoms. That said, one can generally switch smoothly to suboxone or other maintenance drug without going through such a program, and one wonders whether this program has any merits at all without additional treatment or follow-up, as much of addiction is very strongly rooted in one's psychological patterns and daily lifestyle.

5. 21archer

21archer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I've just completed detox5 and what I've heard people say is bollocks. No shitting or puking for me, I was on 60ml methadone but switched to gear a week before going in. They don't abruptly ask you to leave if anything you'll be wanting to leave yourself. If you have a low bmi and haven't abused benzos you will have a sleep full detox. If ye want to be clean a can afford it go for it!!!.