1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Difference between Amphetamine Salts and Adderall

Discussion in 'Adderall' started by branderson925, Dec 16, 2008.

1. branderson925

branderson925 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Swim is a noob and doesn't know the difference between Adderall and Scrip that reads Amphetamine Salts. Is it just the copyright name for the same thing and Adderall can be XR.

Thanks

2. mykeamine

mykeamine

Reputation Points:
    "Amphetamine Salts" are a generic IR (instant release) version of Adderall.

Many users have reported the generic version feeling notably different when taken compared to Adderall brand IR tablets.

There are currently (I think) two version of the generic IR tablets—orange and, more newer, pink.

XR's have not been able to be made in a generic form yet. Shire (company who owns Adderall) is losing the patent for the XR quite soon. Generic XR's will be seen around soon enough.

3. dr. swim

dr. swim Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I would assume they make their tablets differently, and different inactive ingredients can affect rate of absorption?

4. Laudaphun

Laudaphun Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM takes the stuff everyday so probably is not the best canidate to tell the stuff apart, but was not able to tell any difference between the orange and the pink adderalls (both IR). Whichever the orange flavored ones were, were the ones. SWIM had a supply of both orange and pink and tried to take them on alternate days and really could not tell any difference.

However, less tolerant users or users who take varying doses may very well be able to tell a difference as the law states simpily that peak plasma concentrations have to be +/- a certain %... forget the exact numbers but there is a .pdf somewhere on DF so really wouldn't they be able to be able to make a considerably different tablet (compared to most other medications) considering there are so many different salts?

As long as it met the plasma concentrations specified in the guidelines for generic versions of medications, one would think they could be quite different. Someone like SWIM who takes her medicine everyday at the same dose and is "adjusted" to the medication at that dose would be less likely to tell any difference, however recreation or irregular users would be more likely to tell the difference. But as far as the salts go, I think it breaks down to something like 75% d-AMP base and 25% l-AMP base.

SWIM takes the pink generic IR ones and one dose upon waking and a second about 5-6 hours later lasts all day. They are a soft tablet and crumble very easily. But anyways, the different salts supposedly have slightly different durations of actions/onsets (SWIM thinks so anyways) so they make adderall last slightly longer than it would otherwise... SWIM has no experience with any other amphetamine so doesn't really know.

EDIT: Here is the link... http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=69&id=4835

It basically shows that plasma concentrations must fall between 80-125% of the brand name drug... however this must be so on a 90% confidence interval. I really don't want to think about statistics right now but given the confidence interval of 90% the range is in reality much smaller than 80-125%

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  5. Hollow Hippie

Hollow Hippie Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Adderall is simply a brand name for amphetamine salts. Adderall XR is simply an eXtended Release of amphetamine salts.

Adderall (IR and XR) is made up of:
    50% dextroamphetamine (50% saccharate salt and 50% of the sulfate salt)
    50% racemic (50% dextro + 50% levo) amphetamine (50% aspartate monohydrate salt and 50% sulfate salt)

6. mykeamine

mykeamine

Reputation Points:
    the discussion at hand is on the difference(s) between brand name Adderall and generic supplies, not what it's made of.

7. interluder

interluder Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Newbie here. If this question had been asked, please direct me to any thread or information as I have used the search but couldn't find an answer.

I was just diagnosed with ADD a week ago and first presciption of amphetamine salts I was given were the Orange/Peach, oval, beveled-edge tablets with [​IMG]/973 on the other side debossed with 2|0. These are 20mg each. I'm taking 2 daily.

The precription from my doc said to give me Adderall XR. The pharmacy gave me some written info that said these are XR as well

From what I've seen online these are IR instead of the XR right? Have I been given something that's not extended release?

Also do they act the same way as if i were taking 2 of the oval blue b 972's? They're 10 mgs each.

Just trying to get my meds right from the start

thanks

8. WalkingMonstrosity

WalkingMonstrosity

Reputation Points:

No, that sounds like 20 mg generic Instant Release. I have the exact same pills, except their 30 so it says 30 instead. I'm pretty sure XR is the hollow pills containing the beads inside.

9. interluder

interluder Newbie

Reputation Points:
    you're right. thanks.

would taking 1 of these 20mg orange tablets be have the same effect as taking 2 of the 10mg blue tablets?

Also regardless of the amount do they have the same effect?

10. stratry

stratry

Reputation Points:
    That description matches Barr Pharmaceutical's generic Adderall instant-release. SWIM has witnessed a pharmacy make the IR-XR mistake more than once. By the way, no difference between 1 20MG pill and 2 10MG pills taken together in SWIM's experience.

---

SWIM paid $115 for brand name Adderall vs. $10 for generic, same dose.

Tags: