Drug info - Difference between medical and recreational dose?

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by adzket, May 18, 2006.

1. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    can i just ask what the differance is between a medical dose and a recreational one. is there much differance ofuasly the effects are differant.

2. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    A medical dose is quite enjoyable but what most would think of as a recreational dose tends to be higher. The effects are not different, just stronger.

3. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Medical dose is what is needed for your body to react the way the medicine is prescribed to work. A recreational dose, as said above is usually higher, but is what is needed to get the enjoyable effects of the drug. Example: A prescribed dose of oxycodone could be 5mg, and this might keep you from being in excrutiating pain from your tooth being pulled or your broken bone, where as a recreational dose could be around 30mg, this gives you the euphoria and warm numbness ect.

4. vacant

vacant Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    A medical dose tends to be considerably lower than a recreation dose in most cases. Sometimes, however, a medical dose can be considered to be recreational to someone who has no tolerance. Considering this is in the Benzodiazepines forum, I'll use one for an example. A medical dose for Xanax can be anywhere from .25mg-3mg and even more for those with tolerances. .25mg could provide a recreation dose-type feeling for someone with no tolerance or the reduced anxiety that it is prescribed for. It depends on how one's body reacts to it. A person who has more experience with the aforementioned Xanax could have a recreational dose that is much higher, which is dependent on whether or not they are more tolerant to it.

Keeping with that, the effects are somewhat different as the dose increases. Lower amounts of Xanax will provide relaxation, and they used to (on occasion)provide euphoria for SWIM. When the dosage increases, the effects intensify. At higher doses, one's inhibitions can be significantly lowered and some pretty interesting things could happen that the person probably wouldn't have any recollection of the next day.

So yes, effects, I think, can be different when it comes to medical doses and recreational ones. Recreational doses can often come with the mentality of either getting totally relaxed and having good time, or being totally "fucked up". Medical doses do what they're intended to do.

On a side note, I don't really mean to just talk about Xanax, but seeing that SWIM just had a few mgs (and she tends to type a lot) above the medical dose (disclaimer: I do not recommend attempting this unless you are very experienced and know what you're doing, though I really wouldn't recommend this at all, as it can be dangerous).

5. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    thanks for that was just wondering due to the fact swim knows people that take medicaly and recreationaly and was wondering what differant reactions there could be. are there any major dangers with long term use. I have been using for last 4 yrs medicaly most recomend that your only on them for two weeks if you read the acomping safty leflet.

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    If this is in reference to a benzodiazepine, there is indeed a danger with long-term usage - physical & psychological addiction. This is very much a real danger with drugs like Valium, Ativan, Xanax, etc. Abruptly stopping the use of these, after long-term administration, will result in physical withdrawl similar to that of alcohol - only MUCH worse. There is a very real danger of death from this. The withdrawl from this class of drug needs to be done under the supervision of a doctor who has experience in this field. It requires the drug be tapered off carefully while the patient is monitored. Extreme anxiety and hallucinations are also common to the withdrawl, and should be handled medically.

All in all - this requires a physician. Do not try to go cold-turkey from benzodiazepines.

7. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    very true. I had a nasty seizure when quitting "xanax" cold turkey. doctors said I could have been killed. clonazepam were a lot easier though. but NOT easy...

8. BlueMystic

BlueMystic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I would just like to re-emphasize nag's point.

this requires a physician. Do not try to go cold-turkey from benzodiazepines.

9. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    I was not thinking of stoping takeing them but if they where they would of coures consult there g.p. but was more interstad if there are any significant risk asosiated with long term medical use of these drugs, other than those listed in safty leflet given with perscriptions, but these are only acording to safety leflet ment to be used for a few weeks and the list some possible side effects but say nothing about long term use of them and if there is any exstra risk I am also worryed as they all say not to use if you have a bad liver I has hep c so liver not working at best swims doctor is aware of this but perscribs them anyway. I should realy ask his doctor more about medication he is given instead of just taking what he is told to but does not want to take up g.p's time as in the uk the nhs is over streched as it is.