Drug info - Differences Between Dextromethorphan HBr and Dextromethorphan Freebase?

Discussion in 'DXM' started by blindpanda, Mar 4, 2006.

1. blindpanda

blindpanda Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've seen questions like this, but I have not seen this exact question. Please forgive me if it has been asked.

I have found "Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide, Monohydrate, USP" and Dextromethorphan, USP" from a chemical source that seems to be legit. My only problem is, I know going with DXM HBr is safe, but DXM alone is cheaper. I know monohydrate means it has one water molecule per other molecule. What I do not know is if DXM alone is toxic, or less safe than "Hydrobromide."

I tried to explain this the best I could. I am not ordering it for himself, but for a friend, and just wants to make sure it is right.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
  2. StigmataLectron

StigmataLectron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    From my friend's experience, regular DXM isn't that much different. I had the opportunity of hanging around a couple of chicks while they were doing around 500mg, and they told me that the comeup was "smoother" and not much else.

I think I may have read somewhere that regular DXM is more potent, though. I can't find the source for the life of me, but it'd be a good idea to try it out in lower doses and then move your way up.. on the other hand, the people I was with who were doing 500mg didn't seem like they were doing much more than 500mg of DXM HBr.

3. blindpanda

blindpanda Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thanks for the responce, and what you said makes sense to me.
    C18H25NO•HBr

C 18atoms * 12amu = 216amu
    H 25atoms * 01amu = 025amu
    N 01atoms * 14amu = 014amu
    O 01atoms * 16amu = 016amu
    C18H25NO = 271amu (77%)

H 01atoms * 01amu = 01amu
    Br 01atoms * 80amu = 80amu
    HBr = 81amu (23%)

By weight, Dextromethorphan should compose 77% of Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide. So if a person's normal dose of DXMHBr is 500mg, then 385mg should give the same effects when it is DXM alone.

This is, only if Hydrobromide does nothing for the high and also does not hinder any unwanted side effects.

4. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    The freebase version of DXM is absorbed less easily though isn't it? In that case you would need to compensate for that. Since the HBr is much more water soluble then freebase.

5. blindpanda

blindpanda Newbie

Reputation Points:
    bcS, do you know that for a fact or are you guessing? I know polistirex is absorbed at a slower rate because of the polistirex. However, nothing would be hindering the DXM absorbtion with pure DXM? I'm just guessing though, I'm probably totally wrong.

6. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    The freebase version would have a lower water solubility making it less easily absorbed.

7. blindpanda

blindpanda Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Lucky for SWIM, the source he found for freebase rejected him and the source for HBr gave him the thumbs up.

Thanks for the info, bcS. I owe ya one.

8. CrystalDextro

CrystalDextro Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Interesting, HBr is far more common then freebase is there any other forms that are common or can be used?