1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Health - Dimenhydrinate and asthma

Discussion in 'Deliriant antihistamines' started by adamkru, Mar 3, 2012.

1. adamkru

adamkru Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    So, 1,5 month ago i took 750 mg of DHM. I have light asthma. Yes, stupid, careless, idiot etc, i know that.

First question:

Does DMH shares bronchodilator properties with for example, atropin?

Well i'm wondering if someone with asthama takes high dose of DMH, woudl it be easier for him to have oxygen deprivation? Normal body - breathing sedation. Asthma - breathing sedation + lover dose of oxygene due to asthma. So on the first thought asthmatic woudl be more endengered of respiratory depression or something.

BUT if DHM woudl act as bronchodilator like atropin, it woudl negate asthma effect during trip, and it woudl be safe.
    Am i right?

Second question.

I am experiencing signs of worsening my asthma, is it possible due to DMH? I found this report, about user having worsen his athletic induced asthma after multiple DMH abuse. Mine is allargic caused. I dont know if there is really worsening of my asthma or just neurotic effects. You know, these last 1,5 month were really hard for me. Hypohondriasis all the way.
    There is no suden attacts like typically on neurosis. I often just feel that normal breathe does not "satisfies" me, and need to take deeper one. I had this before DMH but it seems that it worsend.

books.google.pl/books?id=UQcbk-zmUFoC&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=can+sedative+worsen+asthma&source=bl&ots=rkUfYINfox&sig=pp-p53-1ucKnWFADPnucFNVqpwk&hl=pl&sa=X&ei=LzlST5iPFM3ntQbHt_3_Cw&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=can%20sedative%20worsen%20asthma&f=false

In this book, they write that antihistamines worsening asthma is a myth. I dont know what to think about it anymore.

adamkru added 17 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

I mean respiratory depression while sleeping after this DHM. I felt asleep after 4h of waiting for effects - i was disappointed. Then i had some sleep like delirium, and i am wondering - if dose of 750 was more dangerous for me due to my light asthma. Well it really torments me.

adamkru added 37 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

oh and one more thing. woudl this bronh. properties keep such long time? 4 hours. you know during my sleep i remember waking up. i notice my breathe was shallow like someones asleep and felt asleep again. why woudl i wake up? any experiences with waking from dmh sleep with not apparent reason?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. PowerfulMedicine

PowerfulMedicine Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I don't know much about how dimenhydrinate effects those with asthma. I don't have asthma myself and have only ever taken diphenhydramine, a closely related compound.

I know that dimenhydrinate is the theophylline salt of diphenhydramine. The theophylline part of the dimenhydrinate molecule is what causes bronchodilation. This could in theory mitigate the respiratory depression caused by dimenhydrinate, but if you feel that it is worsening your asthma then it best to stay away from high doses of dimenhydrinate.

Frankly, this is not a drug that is appealing to most people and even for people who enjoy deliriants, like my can of sardines, there are drugs that are much better.

750mg of DMH is not actually a very high dose though, since dimenhydrinate is generally half as potent as diphenhydramine. Still, it might be better to stay away from this compound.

3. adamkru

adamkru Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Oh, by the way, about 36 hours before taking dmh i took 1 mb of clonazepanum.
    Was it dangerous, coudl it icreased sedacion effect cignificantly?

And i am wondering about warnings in erowid faq, about absolutly not taking it while having asthma. It is for people with serius asthma, asthma attacks etc or all people with breathing problems, like me?
    It torments me if my life was in danger.

adamkru added 0 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

1 mg of course

adamkru added 109 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

well it was probably 2 mg not 1 mg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. chibi curmudgeon

chibi curmudgeon Gold Finger Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Like other anticholinergics, dmh will dry out your lungs, and may very well also cause bronchodilation. While respiratory depression can be a problem with any sedative, I doubt it would ever trigger an asthma attack. (If it did, though, you'd be faced with the awkwardness of having to use albuterol in the midst of a dmh trip.....)

After 36 hours, you probably wouldn't have to worry about the clonazepam, but if you still felt heavily sedated from one drug, adding another sedative is of course dangerous.