Drug info - Diphenhydramine As A Sleep Aid?

Discussion in 'Deliriant antihistamines' started by CABS205, Nov 24, 2004.

1. CABS205

CABS205 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Lately I've been having trouble sleeping. Well, my habit messed up my sleep habits anyway...I haven't slept in days, probably not as bad as other people...So I went to the drug store and found these tablets, they said they'd be okay...BUT, has anyone heard of Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride or taken them? And do you think they'd work? They're only 25mg....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2006
  2. enigmatic

enigmatic Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have used them both for recreational and intended purposes. They work
    great to put you to sleep, just make sure that you don't have to get up
    the next day. I wouldn't recommend recreational use, because it sucks
    having to keep yourself awake. I also became very irritable while using
    them recreationally. They should knock you out. I would take 2 pills to
    total about 50 mg. I bought the generic which has each pill as 50 mg,
    and one works great.

3. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    I have also used diphenhydramine (Benadryl in this case) for recreational and intentional reasons... and like enigmatic said, this stuff will definitely put you to sleep in no time. Depending on how big you are, between 1 and 3 pills (25-75mg) would work. 25mg will make me really tired in like an hour.

Using them recreationally was a very interesting experience, to say the least. I have never had such real hallucinations (people that
    aren't really there, objects in the room disappearing, shit like that)... but again, I agree with enigmatic in that you're extremely tired the whole trip (its like a dream) and it also puts me in a really bad mood, like someone can say something perfectly nice and it'll just piss me off. I can also see a huge potential for bad trips and the like, because you won't realize the hallucinations aren't really there, at least not at first.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  4. Benzhead

Benzhead Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My experience with Diphenhydramine and anxiety/depression based insomnia is that: it didn't work.

The pharmacist told me that I could - with relative safety - take four times the prescribed dosage after asking me some questions about my state of physical health.

I could always tell when I wasn't going to be able to sleep. I would feel moderately to heavily(I know that isn't very desciptive) levels of anxiety in the early evening. If it was after 7 PM or thereabouts, no over the counter sleep aid had the desired effect.

Even Ambien(Zolpidem) offered no relief.

However, for most people Diphenhydramine does offer assistance in initially falling asleep. Heck, they use the stuff at 'retirement homes' as a sleeping pill, so it is effective in the majority of cases.

Happy dreams!

T

5. asystole

asystole Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Diphenhydramine HCl does NOTHING for me... it's pretty useless for rec. use as far as I am concerned.

6. Shadow_Addict

Shadow_Addict Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yeah I've used dramine pills to get to sleep, it worked for me for a couple of weeks, but after a while it stops working and you have to take more..sucks

7. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    It works, but as shadow addict states, you will have to up the doses if you use it alot. I prefer doxylamine succinate myself. That is the stuff they put in nyquil that makes ya sleepy, but I buy the sleeping pills that have it in them.

8. moldie

moldie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Diphenhydraminefor reacreational purpouses is a pretty bad idea. I remember trying it a couple times maybe 5-6 years ago. Each time I ate 2 boxes of dramamine tablets. The experiences was highly unpleasant, delirium is the only way to explain it. Feels sort of like a datura trip with its balls cut off. Terrible cottonmouth and vivid hallucinations (the problem is quite often you can't tell that you're hallucinating). I drove home from a friends house one night on a dramamine trip and literally hallucinated a cop behind me trying to pull me over. It took me about 20 minutes or so (who can sense time when totally delirious) to realize I was on the side of the road by myself and no cop was around. Your heart rate also skyrockets under the influence of large quantities of diphenhydramine, and I'm sure I don't have to explain the health problems this can cause.

9. angelofdeath

angelofdeath Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    once me and my friend took a little bit of the stuff recreationally. my
    friend took 1 whole pill and only felt "sleepy" for the rest of the
    day; but I who seem to be more sensitive to sedatives took only haf a
    pill [while feeling hazy from a night before of drinking and heavy
    marijuana usage]; anyways I lay down an just relaxed and kept falling
    in and out of sleep. Anyways my sister came home and woke me up and was
    all pised off because I was "drugged"; couldn't remember what happened,
    and didn't really know what was happening; had trouble standing up. My
    doctor prescribed me this stuff called "trazadone" for insomnia which
    acts quite similar but makes it even harder to stand up on. anywasy if
    your going to take
    Diphenhydramine, take it with someoneelse or when you have the house to
    yourselves - having someone swearing "your fucking drugged!", "what did
    you take!" kind destroys the "out-of-it" experience.

10. par excellence.

par excellence. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    God, what kind of brand did you take? You took half a pill and were
    that woozy? I find that incredibly hard to believe unless the
    particular pills you had were hella potent/had a lot of the shit in
    it...

Then again you did say you did marijuana and drank the night before, so who knows.

11. UnDrToW

UnDrToW Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride helps me sleep really well with a regular dose. But as for recreational use if you take about 20 of em (about 500 mgs.) it makes me trip balls. Extremely real hallucinations audio and visual. But it also gives you an extremely uncomfortable body buzz. And it makes it near impossible to sleep. So I wouldn't reccommend takin alot of it to sleep or you might get the complete opposite effects. Stick with about 2-3 of em to sleep.

12. timmytheturtle

timmytheturtle Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yea I had that same uncomfortable body buzz.. and I was too scared to sleep. But taking 2 or 3 will make you drowzy enough to fall asleep.

13. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    benadryl (diphenhydramine) as a sedative not deleriant

hey I has rescently started taking benadryl with his weed and sometimes other drug mixes (carefully), but he notices that few ppl enjoy benadryl, I has tried "tripping" on benadryl it was horrible, but swim loves to IM 100mg of injectable benadryl (lol doctor in the family and I am using benadryl) with a nice joint or a drink or 2. FYI I am on Prozac 10mg a day, maybe that has a synergic effect but idk.

14. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Benadryl operates primarily as an anti-cholinergic like atropine (Jimson Weed). It's effects on serotonin is low, so it is doubtful prozac is involved. But one thing is sure with anti-cholinergics - they will (non-medical term here) burn your brains out if used often. Ever meet a fan of Jimson Weed? They tend to wander around in a manic rage yelling about Jesus and threatening to hit people with their steel-plated bibles. They'd be a natural for attending a David Koresh Memorial Barbecue in Waco, Texas.

Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is good for the occasional bout of insomnia, but I'd leave it at that.