Combinations - Diphenhydramine & Valerian Root

Discussion in 'Deliriant antihistamines' started by darkglobe, Mar 22, 2007.

1. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I've found that combining Diphenhydramine at stated dose (50mg) with slightly above stated dose of Valerian Root (1500mg, stated dose 1000mg) and 8mg of Codeine (from OTC pills, and 8mg is stated dose) makes for a fantastic sleep aid!

I've had a lot of trouble sleeping recenty, possibly due to stress/anxiety problems. I have had no success with herbal remedies used alone, and tend to have a high tolerance to Diphenhydramine also.

Took 1500mg Valerian extract (in tincture form), then following that 30mins later with 8mg Codeine (I now have no tolerance to Codeine) and 20mins later with Diphen @ 50mg.

The combo made for a very relaxing, even mildly euphoric experience. This experiment was done in order to evaluate the sleep-aid qualities, and I would recommend this to anyone! I'd probably cut out the Codeine next time as it's effects were probably negligible.

I know this report isn't my usual high standard ;) but It's more of an advice thing than a report. Besides, gold member status is no longer on my to-do list (after realising I'd probably never get it).

2. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I wouldn't think codeine would add much, least not as a sleep aid - isn't insomnia one of its possible side effects?

I also like diphen and valerian. He sometimes combines these two with kava kava and melatonin for a night of deep sleep and intense dreams.

ECL

3. darkglobe

darkglobe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I know nothing about Kava Kava as the plant has never interested him, but if it has sleep-aid qualities then I imagine he will look into it.

Melatonin has gained mixed opinions on DF and other sites, as such SWIM won't bother with that.

Valerian (aside from the blatant rotting feet smell) is a nice, effective and pleasant extract to work with, and leaves SWIM feeling (very slightly) sedated and quite relaxed, but only at very high doses. I get no unwanted side effects with its use, either.

~Dark

Tags: