1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Do amphetamines enhance athletic performance ?

Discussion in 'Amphetamine' started by fgtss, Jun 1, 2006.

1. fgtss

fgtss Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    It's a simple yes or no question. I'm doing research on this, and have recieved different opinions from different people. If you can give me yours, i'd appreciate it.

2. Docta

Docta Idiot Savant Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Australia
    In the army we had a dermal injector that we called the fun gun.
    When the mind was willing but the flesh is weak one shot from the fun gun and you were away. (sweating like a rapist)

3. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from The Netherlands
    No, it supresses fatique so you can keep going, but it doesn't enhance your performance.

4. Myzrael

Myzrael Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Well , since performance is mostly mental it can definatly enhance performance. SWIM can go on longer with ephedrine for example and it gives him the desire to go faster and faster. It tires SWIM out just as much as without it but his brain thinks elsewise.
    On the other hand.....give SWIM good music , pump up the volume and SWIM will get a similair effect but not the same. So I don't think it really is the drug itself pur sang. The one things uppers are good for is to get you in the mood. If SWIM takes epehdrine he just needs to go to the gym and work his ass off.

For more information I'd suggest you also look on bodybuild forums.
    :)

5. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Dangerous for your heart, swim friend had a heart attack while playing basketball. He done a crushed 30mg Adderall XR thirty minutes before. He ok now, but swore off amps.

6. fgtss

fgtss Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    I was asking because I've read studies before where athletes took greenies and seen improvements in their performance.

7. Benzeneringz

Benzeneringz Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    This is an article from amphetamines.com, a sub-domain of biopsychiatry.com:

Three major types of CNS stimulant are currently abused in sport: amphetamine, cocaine and caffeine. Each drug type has its own characteristic mechanism of action on CNS neurones and their associated receptors and nerve terminals. Amphetamine is widely abused in sports requiring intense anaerobic exercise where it prolongs the tolerance to anaerobic metabolism. It is addictive, and chronic abuse causes marked behavioural change and sometimes psychosis. Major sports abusing amphetamine are cycling, American football, ice-hockey and baseball. Cocaine increases tolerance to intense exercise, yet most of its chronic effects on energy metabolism are negative. Its greatest effects seem to be as a central stimulant and the enhancement of short-term anaerobic exercise. It is highly addictive and can cause cerebral and cardiovascular fatalities. Caffeine enhances fatty acid metabolism leading to glucose conservation, which appears to benefit long-distance endurance events such as skiing. Caffeine is also addictive, and chronic abuse can lead to cardiac damage. Social abuse of each of the three drugs is often difficult to distinguish from their abuse in sport. (1)

1. http://amphetamines.com/psychostimulants/stimulant.html

8. Ahuaeynjx

Ahuaeynjx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Not conclusive and dangerous...

To be concise : of course it will enhance performance, but passed a certain dosage it will hamper it by the release of too much dopamine thus upsetting the fine adrenalin/epinephrine balance required for enhanced mental attention, thus peak performance. I do not encourage Amphetamine usage and if SWIM would absolutely want to use it for such a purpose in a dream he wouldnt go over 10 mg of Meth, or 20 mg of Amph.

If your goal if muscle-brain coordination SWIM would recommend using colloidal cold, ionic trace minerals and Whey proteins and a mighty dose of essential fatty acids. If the peak strength was the issue SWIM would then recommend a good dosage of R-Alpha-Lipoic Acid, an ATP delivery system and a small dose of PH buffered creatine (around 750 mg for a healthy livered person) along a good source of complex sugars such as honey. SWIM has alot more ideas if money wasn't an issue, intelligent nutrition leads to performance, not magic enhancers.

When you are facing endurance conditions is where some approaches will get dangerous, you can think for example of the simple amino acid Arginine (it IS very strong and has amphetamine-like effects at high dose, destroys the liver too) in all it's forms. The substance in 5-10 g dosage does create an tremendous amount of pump by liberating huge amounds of NO in the muscles, but when the effort becomes too great and is combined even with the slightest stimulant thats when you see the strongest men dropping like cooked asparaguses, even some cases of death... So if SWIM was obliged to take stimulants for not too high effort or endurance performance of course SWIM would take Meth over synthetic Caffeine for example... But SWIM knows too well that an intelligent mixture of herbs with a small dose of different forms of caffeine, ehphedra, yohimbe and tongat ali would be much gentler on the liver and heart (also more balanced in effect) than any single stimulant.

Thats my conclusion, small amount of lots of different natural performance enhancers instead of a big shot of one , SWIM would have to think about interactions as well... for ideas you can visit well known sport nutrition websites. They do have herbal-based formulas that are almost as strong as Amph but are still legal.

Namase,

Ahu

9. Ahuaeynjx

Ahuaeynjx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    'course I meant colloidal Gold... how come I cannot edit my own posts in here ?

Namase,

Ahu

10. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o Male
    Newbies cannot edit posts, you must get upgraded to silver to edit your posts.

11. xpr´k

xpr´k Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Thats the impression swim has when he's on amphetamines, your somewhat stronger and you definatly feel alot less pain but when he feels how his heart is pounding adding extra stress to it seems dangerous to him, he's never tried it though.
    Of course he's talking recreational dosages, i'm sure the answer is dosage related cause i know a cyclist who has used it with other from his club to get in shape for the season.

12. xpr´k

xpr´k Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    seems Ahu's post confirms my suspicions

13. FrankenChrist

FrankenChrist Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from belgium
    In swim's country cycling is very popular. Some years back, there was a cocktail for cyclists on the market , called Le pot belge, freely translated "Belgian stew". This was a cocktail of steroids and drugs. As far as swim remembers it had stimulants like amphetamines and possibly cocaine, and heroin to sedate pain. It was said to "give one wings".

By the way, in swim's country illegal growth hormones for cows
    and amphetamines (and ecstacy) are said to come from the same organised criminals.

14. Ahuaeynjx

Ahuaeynjx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Anyone how do I get to delete my posts ?

Namase,

Ahu

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  15. halfastspeed

halfastspeed Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Aspartame did it

The aspartame in the diet drink he took did it, not tha adderall.

16. Ahuaeynjx

Ahuaeynjx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    This sounds wicked, sadly as most places in the world... animal hormones yuck, where SWIM lives they feed it legally to the people through the meat and milk, no legislation, and sodium fluoride too ! Even synthetic oestrogens in the public water due to the consumption of birth control pills upstream !

The kind of insanities the sharing of ideas will erradicate forever I hope !

For those who like biking, hiking an all the 'kings SWIM suggest to try Maral root, it contains ecdysterones which are known to boost all kinds of strength and endurance by ~20% if it is used in the right dosage. (200mg total ecdysterones 2 times a day)

SWIM is not exagerating it makes him feel like running all around the place ; SWIM clairvoyantly sees that it affects the body by indirect anti-aromatase and directly within the ligaments.

Namase,

Ahu

17. FrankenChrist

FrankenChrist Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from belgium
    swim would really love to try hikes on coca leaves.

You better be referring to phenylketonuria , or I'm reporting your post as retarded.

18. desolated000

desolated000 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    Uhhg swim wouldnt dare try to push his body while on speed! It increases heart rate, blood pressure, breathing... It makes the body work like it is already being worked to its max. And it makes you feel like you have energy you dont, so theres serious chance of overworking yourself.

19. jesusfreak666er

jesusfreak666er Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    swim has used amphetamines (addy/dex) as an aid in work outs and lifting for football and lacrosse. Swim finds that if used properly amps do a lot of good but the slightest miss calculation or over exhaustion can be devastating. A few years back swim was at football preseaon camp, 5am in the mid of summer. Instead of coffee swim would often use adderall to get himself up. One not so faithful day swim was in an extremely hard practice running tons of sprints and fell down started weezing then started to dry heave. Fortunately swim was all right but one can see that how ephedrine related deaths in athletics happen (several famous in baseball and football)

swim does find though that for a morning lift session 10mg adderall does a nice trick of boosting swims performance and ability, swim just stays clear when cardiac conditioning is involved. Well thats swims opinion its not a clear yes or no, if one wanted to make a clear yes or no, it would be yes if you dont die and a definate no if you do :)

20. fishinabottle

fishinabottle Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from american_samoa
    Amphetamines don´t boost performance but endurance. Beats fatigue. So speed will be perfect for a bicyclist on the Tour de France but nothing for a 100m sprinter.

If 30mg of plain amphetamine would make people drop dead when doing sports you would have thousands, no tenthousands of victims in last 50 years. LOL.

Halfastspeed was actually right on the point. The chance that the softdrink killed the person (it it´s not a urban myth anyways) is at least as high as the speed.
    But serious sport is unhealthy by itself. Why do professors get older then construction workers? I tell you: Because to much workout is unhealthy.