Do drugs actually kill brain cells?

Discussion in 'The euphoric body' started by pabel_giboon, Jul 29, 2005.

1. pabel_giboon

pabel_giboon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    113 y/o
    One hears over and over about hunderds of thousands of brain cells killed each time you abuse a drug (alcohol, inhalants, ketamine, etc). Is that absoulutely true?
    how many of this cells hould have died anyway if you didn´t take?
    wouldn´t all of us in this forum be already brain-dead if it were true?
    how many brain cells do we have? (in order to measuer how much we loose on each trip)

2. AcmeSewageCo

AcmeSewageCo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    To answer your question about how many cells are... The average human brain has 100 billion neurons aka brain cells... This is true all human beings loose a large amount of brain cells each time a substance is abused or misused... BUT...The average human beings that do not use chemical substances or "illicit" substances... Are losing over 100,000 brain cells every day due to natural reactions in the brain and disuse/misuse as in... Not using it to it's full potential... We are the only living creature on the planet that do not use 100% of our brain compacity... You have nothing to fear about brain damage or becoming "braindead"... You have to be an extremely heavy and chronic user... I will not post how much drugs hurt the brain... That you will have to look up for yourself... Since theres thousands of chemicals... And each one kills their own share of braincells... Keep in mind... 100 billion brain cells... You lose 100,000 brain cells a day on average... Plus you factor in the chemicals you are using... Then you will get your answer... Like I said... Every chemical causes their own specific "damage" to the human psychie... So... Google... Factor it in... Goodluck... Cheers [​IMG]. Edited by: AcmeSewageCo

3. dopefiend

dopefiend Newbie

Reputation Points:
    ^^^^^ If what you're saying is true were all 100% braindead after
    27 years (With my numbers anyway, but im pretty wrecked,) I ain't tryin
    to criticize (Even though i am.) But misinformation is never a good
    thing.

Peace,

Jesse

4. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Clearly alcohol kills brain cells. What about things like opiates, nicotine, caffiene, ect??? I was always told in school that ALL drugs kill brain cells. Well thats a very broad range.

5. AcmeSewageCo

AcmeSewageCo Newbie

Reputation Points:

Hmmm... Pretty wrecked?... A term for I am stoned? Well... Never try to preform mathematic function under the influence my friend... I'll prove you wrong and clear my sullied name with mathematic correction... So here we go... 100,000,000,000 brain cells... 100,000 lost per day... So... To get how many maxdays we have the possibility to live... Divide 100,000 into 100,000,000,000... Bam... You get 1,000,000 days... So... In order to get the years... 1,000,000 divided by 365.25 days in the yearEQUALS A GRAND TOTAL OF 2737.8507 YEARS WE CAN LIVE ...Yup... So there is is my friends... I've prove my statements correct... So trust me everyone... You have plenty of years to spend fucking around with "drugs"... Factor in your drugs how many brain cells they kill... And you still wont be braindead... Well... Meh... Unless you factor in some impossible/highly improbable numbers...

So... Not to act like a smart ass or a bitch or anything for having to prove what I said correct... I dislike when people tell me I'm wrong when I know I'm not...I'm not wrong... You must have whacked up the numbers perhaps by putting 10,000,000,000... It's understandable... Be sure not to post unless you do the math correctly... ::raises his glass:: Cheers my friend [​IMG].Edited by: AcmeSewageCo

6. dopefiend

dopefiend Newbie

Reputation Points:
    ^^^I stand corrected. Guess i missed a couple zero's. Kind of a shock to even find a post i don't remember writing. Anyway bro sorry bout that.

Peace,

Jesse

7. BrugmansiaBrujo

BrugmansiaBrujo Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    There are some drugs and herbs that are believed to be
    neuro-protective. Conflicting studies abound, as with anything.
    Do a little Googling on the subject and you'll find lots to read.

Would/could/can/do these drugs herbs reduce or reverse the damage
    caused by the "bad drugs" such as alcohol? Again, conflicting
    studies abound. Lots of stuff to read out there on this topic.

8. Muirner

Muirner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    *operator tone* Marijuana effects the memory. [​IMG]

With each hit your getting a little bit more forgetful too lol.

Muirner

9. pabel_giboon

Reputation Points:
    113 y/o
    AcmeSewageCo, tht´s good info, and in many many ways what I suspected. I´ll do some research on each substance`s brain toxicity and post them soon.

Thanks!

10. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    I think it is not only the quantity of cells affected, but also which cells are affected and how. Drugs killing cells seems like a simplistic concept, meant to scare: as the amounts of 'killed' cells AcmeSewageCo shows insignificant,I do not think the killing of cells is the main issue with drug use. Cancer shows another side of the coin, as this is exactly the opposite of the concept of 'killed' cells: unproportioned cell growth. I think deregulation of cells or chemical imbalance may be a much greater issue. Causing many unwanted side effects. Most of which are only temporary, but some are long term after effects.I thinkmoderation is the key.

11. pabel_giboon

Reputation Points:
    113 y/o
    Have been chacking DANCESAFE´s MDMA neurotoxicity slideshow, it´s cristal clear. And it´s an example of alfa´s saying. Yo can get no neuron dead at all, but you can suffer oxidation in your sertonic neurons axon´s that leads to a permanent damage on all that kind of neurons. No neuron dead, but a whole system of neurons wasted even forever.

Looks like a couple of cares would keep neurotoxicity of drugs on a controlled level, that`s common sense.

I am just trying to put together as much info as i can of how to make each drug less harming to the brain.something like:

MDMA, talke selenium th eday before and after, avoid doing it on a weekly or shorter basis, prozac after the comedown (but before 6 hours) seems to help preventing damage, etc.

K, let your brain rest from overheating 48hs between each K sesion.

Edited by: pabel_giboon

12. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    What's interesting (I'll try to find the article somewhere) is that they have shown quite recently that brain cells actually do regenerate over the course of your life too. Alfa is definitely right - the brain is a much too complicated tangle of neurons and glial cells to simply apply math to.

With people who have undergone strokes, what often happens is a swath of cells are killed by a lack of oxygen. They are responsible for a function of the human body. Dendrites actually find new places to attach to and new "bridges" are formed toother neuronswhich can often bring back the missing skill.

The point about humans not using their whole brains isn't really true. We do use everything - some of it is devoted to speech, some to color - studies have actually shown that there are specific cells that react to a line vertically but not at a 45 degree angle. The vast proportion of cells in the brain are what's known as glial cells. They are seen as filler (which is where that myth about us not using a percentage of our brain comes from). Neurons are known as the workers and glial the padding. But glial cells are only now starting to become understood. They do a heck of alot more than padding. Case in point - When Einsteins brain was dissected it was found that he had an average amount of neurons for someone his size - but he had a significantly higher amount of glial cells.

Peace all

Jimbo