Do SSRI'S eg Fluoxetine interact with opiates?

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by Klaus, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Klaus

Klaus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    inhibit or enhance the recreational effects of Dihydrocodeine?

Lab rats opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou.

Klaus.

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    The two classes of drugs operate in seperate parts of the brain. SSRI's affect serotonin and dopamine. Opiates primarily effect the release of endorphins. So there is not likely to be a difference of the analgesia one experiences from an opiate while being treated with an SSRI like fluoxetine (prozac). However there may be a percieved difference regards the euphoria that opiates elicit - especially in a pain-free individual using opiates recreationaly (people in severe pain do not report euphoria from opiates as do the recreational users).

This is a good question that needs answers from SSRI patients. If an SSRI does seem to block the euphoric qualities of opiates - this says truck-loads regarding the biochemical mechanism of euphoria. Wide open field here, kids. What say you?

3. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    No firsthand experience here, but I have heard that lab rats on SSRIs feel euphoria on opiates, just the same as when they were not on SSRIs. They certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves following administration of opiates. SSRIs should neither potentiate nor de-potentiate opiates synaptically, although some are said to possibly potentiate them through liver enzyme inhibition (although this has not been satisfactorally proven to SWIM, its still a potential and a caveat to be careful when mixing drugs!)

4. Klaus

Klaus Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thanks,I use Amitriptyline and Fluoxetine as analgesia but also enjoys the euphoria that comes from DHC.

I did read that fluoxetine may inhibit this and wondered if any rats had any experience of this.

Thankyou.

Klaus

5. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I have been taking Prozac 20mg a day for about 2 years now, and I can say that his SSRIs do not seem to help or reduce the euphoria when he takes opiates. He has taken opiates b4 when he was off of prozac, and from what I remember, I had basically the same amount of euphoria.

6. monkeygone2heaven

monkeygone2heaven Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SSRIs and opautes they're thought to be independent. but note that there are no controlled studies so would suggest not driving, be careful of any extra prone-ness to sedation..

if any1's taking MAOI's or even tricyclic antidepressants I would suggest being a lot more careful!!