Do you consider yourself a drug addict ?

Discussion in 'General Addiction discussion' started by searcher, Sep 26, 2004.

1. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    If you are heroin addict with a $1000 a week habit, a coke head a meth addict or just an occasional user of weed,x,rc or 'shrooms..someone, somewhere will consider you to be a drug addict.

2. markdahman

markdahman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    I say we should try to draw the lines of being a addict and not being one! this is what i would have to say

IF UR A ADDICT U HAVE DONE THIS ATLEAST ONCE*

-hock'd cd's dvds or any possesions

-stole or done any illegal stuff other then dealing to suport ur habit

-cant go 1 day without ur drug

-u refuse to let ppl know about u doing drugs

thats all i can think of right now every should add on

3. crazyride84

crazyride84 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Iwouldnt say i'm an addict,but I am depened on weed. If i go a day without smoking I get mood swings,bored,restless,and every little thinggrinds my nerves.I have done the first two things on markdahman's list of being an addict though lol,but that was a long time ago,havent done anything like that in almost a year.

4. nicholson_tyler

nicholson_tyler Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I dont think im an addict, but my gf does.. I smoke weed every couple days(well lately its been every other day), do alot of 5meodipt(maybe twice a week), used to do alot of shrooms, um thats about it, but im aparently a drug addict according to my gf, then again everybodies gf thinks thier bf is a drug addict

5. adultswim

adultswim Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i smoke almost everyday at school between classes and people call me a drug attic and put me down, but yet i dont consider myself one cause i my grades are at the top of all the students in those classes and i have never stolen,pawned, or traded anythin to support my habbit

6. wizard warior

wizard warior Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i would consider myself a problematic user,i smoke pot just about every other day,just cause it passess the time and makes you feel happy.but i can see a time when i will just stop so i can try to make a sucsess out of my live without having to rely on a fix to get me by,all the time

7. thydarkprevails

thydarkprevails Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    i shroom occassionally, and dabble into coke, x, or any halluciogen i can find...i do not consider myself a drug addict..i do, however drink every day...and most of the time i just drink to take away the empty feelings inside me.....i consider myself an alcoholic, but i will not go to aa, i'm afraid of quitting..

8. nosociety

nosociety Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have been smoking pot almost everyday for a year.
    I have tried many other drugs like shrooms,coke,2ci/e,e,etc. I never feel asthough i need a drug i just feel bored an on edge without anything. I dont consider myself an addict, jsut a user. Drugs are a hobby.

9. hh339

hh339 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Well...I used to smoke weed and hasch everyday, and i never considered myself an addict. Nowadays i smoke weed around 3-4 days a week, but now i really feel like a junkie. About a year ago i just realized that cannabis wasn´t good for me. I feel like i´m putting my brain in the freezer when i smoke, and after a couple of days without weed it slowly warms up and starts to work again. Cannabis is just wasting my time, and i don´t even consider it fun anymore. So why the fuck can´t i stop?? Because i´m addicted, and i hate it. I do a lot of other drugs as well, but not daily or weekly. XTC, LSD, mushrooms, foxy, alcohol and other drugs are just fun to me, but that damn weed.... I guess when you really want to stop doing a drug, that´s when you realize if youré an addict or not. Fuuuck... but hey, let´s look at the bright side: I´m in love!! Maybe that will help somehow.

10. lost

lost Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I think a good deciding factor on whether you're an addict or not comes down to one question. When you get close to the bottom of the bag or bottle, are you already wondering when/where you're going to get more.

1. 4/5,
      Good point
      Feb 16, 2015
  11. Ximot

Ximot Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I agree with lost in the last post.

Also, consider this:
    If you cannot stop voluntarily, you are an addict.
    If you cannot function well without it, you are an addict.
    If it is more important to you than everything else, you are an addict.

If you do it even though you aren't having a good time on it, then you are truly and definitely an addict.

(= If you love and hate and still do it).

People are addicted to all sorts of stuff - other people, behavioural patterns, media, and, yes substances.

Prozac and other ssri's are considered non-addictive but most of those who use or have used know what I'm talking about when I say the day you want to just stop you realise than you cannot function without it. If that is not addiction, then the goverment is taking the mickey.

Having said that, I believe that battles with addictions can be won. I've won the battles with nicotine, marijuana, and ssri's. Of those 3 ssri's was the scariest and it's the one drug I haven't gone back to.

There have been plenty of other drugs in my life but all of these never really caused me long-term addiction. Two I realised were very tricky, though - cocaine and opium. A week of daily use with either can make a person a wreck for quite some time and a choice toward embracing life simply has to be met - failing that, God help you!

Maybe it's Darwin's way of checking how attached we are to life and granting it to those who truly want it?

12. Ximot

Ximot Newbie

Reputation Points:
    1- doesn't work for rich people
    2- again the economic factor, may not be the case for all
    3- so if you CAN survive for one day and then binge, you're NOt an addict?
    4- this is something I often do, for several reasons

13. Ximot

Ximot Newbie

Reputation Points:
    ooops, this forum hasn't got an "edit" button [​IMG]

... I refuse the let people know about me doing drugs

because

a. it is none of their business
    b. it may cause consternation (for them, and later, for me)
    c. it is frowned upon and people will either worry about you, talk about or simply shun you (or all 3)
    d. it is actually quite often simply illegal, hence it is a taboo subject (my survival instinct instructs me not to talk about it)

When I was a bit younger I was very open about it to all who'd listen, friends, family, etc., and I regret this, and I am now often known as s.b. who used to a bit of this and a bit of that. suits me fine. doesn't make me an addict, though [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
  14. Gijs_b

Gijs_b Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I smoked weed since I was 11 and done it everyday for years. A weed addiction doesn't come near a heroin addiction..

swik, I deffinately wish you all the luck you need.

15. P!MPJU!C3

P!MPJU!C3 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I find myself back in the answers 2 the 1st questions
    When I discussed that being a junkie was purely an economical status. The way Woodman described it anyway...ohyeah....IN MY OPINION.

16. Triple7

Triple7 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from sweden
    rephrasing ximot:

If we assume that we consider something that is not essential for our
    living at the first place.. we might say we are addicted when we cannot
    stop using it with our own will or that we cannot function well without
    it.

now we may include tobacco, sex and food into this.

17. RoboCop

RoboCop Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Im addicted to getting high, I love to get high and use any mind altering substance I can find. I prefer dissociatives and mary jane. But yes I am a drug addict, but I am not addicted to any one drug. I alter which drug im using constantly, I can go without any one drug but will use an alternative.

18. Dualpower

Dualpower Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Who care's if you're an "addict" by definition. What really matters is
    how your addiction plays out in your life. Does a new addiction
    suddenly dominate the other areas of your life? Do you feel bad about
    what you do? Are you losing friends and respect because of something?
    Do you feel like your brain is being destroyed because you indulge to
    often?

Those are the things that matter, not whether you fit into the DEA addict definition

19. serotonin

serotonin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i don't really think that there is a right or wrong definition for "addict".

ibelieve in some cases it's how a person percieves themselves. in extreme cases (junkie, steals, dying etc, etc) then they are without a doubt an addict. but in "mild" and "medium" cases (i apologize for using those words, but i'm jsut doing to convey the message) it's up to the "addict" in question, and also everyone else's discretion to decide if he is an addict or not.

20. TheCecil

TheCecil Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yes, i consider myself an addict. I pretty much use something everyday even if i black out its a vicious cycle, and i've been through treatment before and relapsed, but i have just accepted that i am an addict. thats my choice i guess.....

The definition of addiction is the repetitive use of a substance despite the negative consequences to the user. Simply using Coke or heroin may be illegal and health damaging But it is not necessarily addiction.

-From the book Buzzed