Doctor Shopping

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by snowmizer, Feb 9, 2005.

1. snowmizer

snowmizer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    This post is a dream that I had. It is purely and completely hypothetical in all respects.

I was reading about Rush Limbaugh online, and this stirred up a question in my mind that has been in the back for quite awhile. Never really knew anyone who I could ask that might have the foggiest notion for the answer though. Rush got into alot of his troubles for "Doctor Shopping" Yes, it turns out that the man that would get on the air and rant and rave that drug addicts are just weak, and they should all be put in prison for a very long time to solve the drug problem - Is in fact being accused of being addicted to illegally obtained prescription medicines..

So, Hypothetically speaking - In the United States -

If SWIM were to go to a physician or pain clinic on Monday, and somehow manage to get a prescription for a *controlled* prescription drug say, Oxy-Contin for instance, and then took that prescription to a Pharmacy and had it filled - Then on Tuesday, I went to another physician or pain clinic in the next town over - and was somehow able to get the next doctor to give him the exact same prescription, SWIM then takes this prescription to a different drugstore and had it filled -Then on Wednesday, SWIM rinses and repeats, and so on, and so on.. Obviously, I would be paying for all the visits and scripts with his own money, and not filing these with My insurance company.

How would anyone other than SWIM be aware this is happening? I am looking for absolute facts on this one, in this case, not opinion or speculation. I am trying to settle an argument that someone I know is having.

Obviously because these medications are on a DEA watch list, eventually the DEA with their super smooth intellect and lists and all would see that I am in a god forsaken amount of pain (or pain meds, depending on how you look at it) and could quite possibly end up giving SWIM an awful lot of unwelcome attention - However - Due to Medical privacy laws, is there really anything that they can do? Do these controlled prescription databases seek to weed out evil doctors that have a nasty habit of giving people what they want? Or are they designed toidentify and further persecute people who like SWIM, are in an awful lot of pain, and cant get what they need to ease that pain from one caregiver?Or both? or is the DEA just a bunch of nosy nellies that need to know what everyone is up to?

I have been researching Statewide prescription databases, as well as other proposal for prescription reform, and most everything seems outdated that I have seen so far. I thought the HIPPA act would prohibit your information from being stored, and shared in a manner that would clue anyone off to this type of activity. I havent been following Rush's case too closely but from what I understand, his Attorney is or has or is going to be able to clear him of the charges of "Doctor Shopping" somehow.

Does anyone know the answers to these questions?

Heres what Purdue has to say about it

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width="100%">
    <T>
    <TR vAlign=top>
    <TD width="50%">

Purdue Pharma has been on the front lines in the fight against the illegal trafficking and abuse of prescription drugs. In the state of Florida alone, we have spent more than $150,000 to educate 680 law-enforcement officers about how to combat prescription-drug trafficking. We have distributed some 35,000 tamper-resistant prescription pads to 2,200 physicians throughout the state, and sponsored over 500 educational programs for more than 135,000 health-care professionals on the appropriate use of pain medications. We are also underwriting "Communities That Care" programs in Tampa, Tallahassee and Palm Beach County to identify and address the root causes of substance abuse in these communities, at a cost of $25,000 per site. </TD>
    <TD width="50%">

In addition, Purdue has pledged $2 million toward the development of an innovative prescription-monitoring program in Florida that, once completed, could be shared with other states across the country. And we are working with the state's legislative leadership to gain support for the legislation needed to establish a prescription-monitoring program.

Purdue is taking these steps to ensure that criminal activity does not determine health-care policy in Florida. As lawmakers seek solutions to the problem of prescription-drug abuse, they must be sure that responsible health-care professionals can continue to provide effective and appropriate care to patients suffering from serious, unrelenting pain. </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

2. bman1

bman1 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Where I am from your info is on a computer befor you even go to the pharmacy. This computer has you prescription info and refill date and any pharmacy can get access (with your permission)to this info incase you try to refill it to earlier at another pharmacy. You would have to grant permission to the pharmasit to look at your records if trying to get a prescription filled. I know this as fact. I have not tried what you aretalking aboutbut would guess when the second prescription came up just days later both being in the computerwould send the flag up or the pharmacist would notice two of the same prescrips when getting the second filled.

3. allyourbase

allyourbase Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    isnt oxycontin a bluesheet? arent ALL bluesheets sent to the DEA? dont you think the DEA would have a database that crossrefferenced for such infractions in dealing with these particular substances?

4. Motorhead

Motorhead Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    45 y/o from Canada
    Ya Bman is right. We live in the techo age now man, we are all on a database somewhere, somehow. Big Brother is watchin[​IMG].

The internet is great in that forums like this can exist, but on the negative side it can thwart fiendish swimslike usto become extra opiated.

5. Mike177

Mike177 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    A doctor of SWIM's told him an interesting story similar to the one that has been hypothetically outlined here.

One day a patient comes in with written documentation of ADHD and gets a prescription to Adderall (a schedule II drug), Nothing is sketchy or funny about it. Well, a few months later this doctor gets a call from the police regarding this particular patient. The police called to tell the doctor that they had pulled him over, searched his car, and found several prescriptions to Adderall from three different doctors. They called all the doctors on the label of the bottles and informed all three of them to what was going on.

The reason they called all the doctors is because they knew he was obviously using amphetamine recreationally, but were unable to take legal action, as all the pills were legally prescribed and in proper containers with the correct labels. So all of his current scripts got taken away by each individual doctor and he ended up with no Adderall at all :(

I think you could get away with this, but who knows for how long. If it was a 1-time thing, I’m sure you wouldn’t run into any complications.

Peace,
    Mike

6. Muirner

Muirner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    i dont think you could. Just because it's illegal to have 2 of the same script from different doctors. Because if it wasnt wouldnt everyone have 120 extra pain killers from the last time they rolled their ankle? I cant remember what the name of the law is, but having two of the same perscriptions for the same drug, for the same problem would lead to some very big problems.

Muirner

7. clipper28

clipper28 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    hey,
    how about being given two scripts for the same med (vyvanse) by the same dr. (because she's kinda a space cadet)? would bob still get into trouble trying to fill them both? Thanks for any answers!

8. UNIBLACK810

UNIBLACK810 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from U.S.A.
    SWIM disagrees. There is nothing illegal about obtaining two diffrent prescriptions for the same medications from two diffrent doc's. Just say I go into a doctors office and gets prescribed oxy 20. However I dont feel in his mind that these mg are adequate enough for SWIM's pain,so I go to see another doc later that day only thing is the next doc prescribes the same exact thing for SWIM. Swim now has 2 scrips for oxy. There is nothing illegal about SWIM filing both scrips as long as they do not total over a 90 days supply and I am paying for the scrips out of pocket. However if SWIM continues to do this on a constant basis then obviously flags will be raised and SWIM's credibility shot (in which I will have problem's obtaining future scrip's) But legally there is nothing ilegal about doing this. There is no law which say's you cannot posses two scrip's for a schedule 2 c.d.s. from two diffrent doc/s. Not in the US anyways.

9. OhCasey

OhCasey Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The key is informing the 2nd doc about the previously prescribed meds one recieved for the same condition.

10. Ganja Joe

Ganja Joe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    53 y/o from Canada
    FWIW, here's the scoop in my state regarding "doctor shopping" or rather "doctor hopping".

It is indeed illegal to go to one doctor, get a script for pain meds and then get another script from another doctor. IF caught, you can be prosecuted in my state.

As a matter of fact my state is currently in progress of putting together a central data base where all pharmacies in the state have to report their scripts on a weekly basis so they can identify people hopping from doctor to doctor for prescriptions.

Also, if you're using insurance to pay for the script, be careful too! Too many scripts and the insurance company will flag you and send a letter to every doctor/office/pharmacy you used in the last year just to bring it to their attention.

If I were you, I'd pay in cash and not use insurance for pain meds.

11. trdofbeingtrd

trdofbeingtrd Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    What if a person wants to go down in strength in medication?

Let's say someone was getting 10mg/325 norcos, but breaking them in half did not seem to work good enough for pain. After trying to find the right amount of one pill, they decide to call the doctor (say 10 days later) and ask for a lower strength (like 7.5mg hydrocodone), would that be wrong?

12. imme

imme Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    As long as the script is for a different dosage than it shouldn't be a problem as it is not that uncommon for people to need to go up or down in dosage. Insurance companies should not have a problem with this either.

Imme