1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Does heat and Citric acid acetylate morphine?

Discussion in 'Opium & Poppy' started by poppies_for_life, Feb 3, 2010.

1. poppies_for_life

poppies_for_life

Reputation Points:
    SWIM is intruiged about the effect of adding lemon juice and heating poppy tea (which he always does) and wonderes if acetylation is partly responsible for the heightened effect. Would love any input and ideas from SWIYS

2. Helene

Helene Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I can't quite see how adding citric acid and heat to poppy tea would have the effect of acetylating it. Also, regarding the thread title - "acetylated morphine" is, for all intents and purposes, heroin. If adding lemon juice and heat to poppy tea could make heroin, well, lets just say that a lot of Afghanis would be going out of business.

Anyway - could you offer some more details please?

H

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  3. blink1989

blink1989 Silver Member

Reputation Points:

I thought Heroin was DiAcetylMorphine.

4. bubbly nubs

bubbly nubs Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Yeah it is but is it still acetylated. Citric acid cant acetylate it as theres no acetyl group in citric acid. This is fairly basic chemistry to be fair. The lemon juice will do nothing but change to pH to a more desirable level for extraction/maximum potency.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  5. Helene

Helene Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Porchy explains it very well; Diacetylmorphine (heroin) is acetylated morphine. In rather basic terms, anything with an acetyl group (pictured) added to it is, in effect, acetylated. The "di" bit just means there's two of them. [IMGR=]http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=764&pictureid=7651[/IMGR]

Adding citric acid would acidify poppy tea, not acetylate it.

H

6. robshaka

robshaka

Reputation Points:
    Does anyswim actually notice any significant difference when lemon juice is added? Strangely, swim ran out of lemons a few weeks back and swears his high has felt more intense without it. What a weird paradox. He's going to try it with lemon juice tonight and see if he notices a decrease in euphoria.

7. wazup7

wazup7 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    yeah basically adding lemon juice to the tea lowers the pH of the tea which means more goodies (alkaloids) end up in the liquid. Without the lemon juice, less will be extracted, which is why some people use their grounds more than once. As for me, I eat my grounds dry with some lemonade. It takes longer to kick in, like 45 minutes, but it lasts longer and takes about half as many pod to get desired effects. Just takes some training to get used to eating mouthfuls of dust, but its worth it in my opinion. :)