Does hydromorphone ( Dilaudid ) Expire?

Discussion in 'Hydromorphone' started by Ventt, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Ventt

Ventt Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I got his hands on some Dilaudid that expired in Dec 03' and he was curious whether or not they would just be a little weaker, or possibly have any negative side effects...

From what i have read, opiates only lose potency over time and do not take on any harmful effects, especially after only 3 years.

Any help is appreciated by me.

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Does hydromorphone ( Diluadid ) Expire?

I believe they should still be at their former potency, and shouldn't have negative effects. If they were kept in a cool, dark, dry place during this time, SWIM can't imagine they would have degraded. Just be careful with dosages of hydromorphone, its a powerful drug!

3. oxalot

oxalot Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I think they put expire dates to keep people from leaving some , forgetting and having someone finding it (i.e. kids) and try to their chagrin. I have tried old oxy (more than 2 years) and it was fine . I agree as long as it is in bottle and kept out of extremes it would be OK for Dilaudid too.

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

A critter Bongo knew drank a bottle of codeine cough syrup he found in the basement of a pharmacy he worked at. It was over 40 years old - and it worked just fine said he.