1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Pharmacology - Does psilocybin release serotonin?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushroom use' started by markosheehan, Feb 21, 2017.

1. markosheehan

markosheehan Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    is psilocin a serotonin releaser? can someone showme a source on this? im seeing conflicting reports

2. Dreambird

Dreambird Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from Switzerland
    What conflicting reports are you referring to? There is quite some information on this topic online (Wikipedia, NCBI...), what is it exactly that you consider inconsistent?

On Wikipedia you'll find the following paragraph (under "psilocybin")
    Based on this, I would say no, neither psilocybin nor psilocin is a serotonin releaser. They just act similar to serotonin and bind to some of the same receptors. If you're aware of sources that say otherwise, you're welcome to share them so we can have a look at them and keep on discussing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  3. markosheehan

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    It just says it mimics it. It does not say anything about increasing or decreasing serotonin levels. Are you just assuming this

4. markosheehan

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
  5. Dreambird

Dreambird Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from Switzerland
    Yes, I am assuming it. As well as I'm assuming that psilocin doesn't cause fingernails to grow and eyes to pop out. The effect you are referring to isn't mentioned in the sources I checked, so I assume it doesn't exist.

Plus, there is a list of monoamine releasing agents (MRAs) on Wikipedia (under "Monoamine_releasing_agent"). Monoamines are neurotransmitters, they include serotonin. Psilocin is not among the MRAs:

If you are still in doubt and refer to "conflicting reports", please name them.

6. markosheehan

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    It says in what I linked extracellular 5ht levels slightly increased in the medial prefrontal cortex.

Also psilocin has affinity for SERT even though it is small

7. Dreambird

Dreambird Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from Switzerland
    Okay, I see what you're saying.

The study you're quoting basically found, that the administration of a relatively high dose of psilocin increases the serotonin level in the brains of rats.

That's nice and all, and it might lead to the hypothesis that psilocin does the same in humans.
    But so far, that's all it is, a hypothesis. I'm not aware of clinical evidence that supports this idea. However I'd agree if you proposed further investigation.

Serotonin affects different creatures in different ways. Some plants use it as a poison, in monkeys it controls dominance behavior, in other animals it's associated with hunger (source: Wikipedia, "Serotonin"). So I'd be cautious to presume that psilocin has the same effect on the serotonin levels in humans as it has in rats. Especially as no pharmacological description I could find mentioned such an effect.

8. markosheehan

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
  9. Dreambird

Dreambird Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from Switzerland
    The study shows, that psilocin has an affinity for SERT, agreed.

SERT stands for serotonin transporter. It's a protein that is relevant for the (re)uptake of serotonin. (source: Wikipedia, "Serotonin_transporter")

If a substance has an affinity for this protein, it means that this substance will bind to it with a certain strength. The higher the affinity, the less of the substance you need to occupy the binding sites. (source: Wikipedia, "Ligand_(biochemistry)")

But could you please explain why serotonin release should be affected if a substance binds to the SERT protein? After all, that's what the question was initially about.
    It seems feasible that psilocin might have an effect on the serotonin uptake and subsequently perhaps on the serotonin level. It's still a hypothesis, but it could be possible. Yet, I don't see how serotonin release is influenced by this.

10. Susmaster310

Susmaster310 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    20 y/o from Hawthorne, California 90250, United States
    magic mushrooms affect the brain's prefrontal cortex, part of the brain that regulates abstract thinking, thought analysis, and plays a key role in mood and perception. Dreambird basically said it all. it bind with your receptors and receivers. Then it mimics your dopamine and serotonine it adds a bit just to complete its bonding process to your brain but not much to make a dramatic change like cocaine. I've had around 17 grams of shrooms in a 3 hour period. I was not planning on it i was just kinda spaced out i just started eating away. I was fearless at that point in my life felt unstoppable. I really dont even remember much to be honest i do have really strong memories of what i do remember. At one point i lost all control of my body as if i had a stroke or paralyzed. i was just spaced the fuck out. Then they all started to creep at the same time. The reason I'm sharing this is because with doing that came consequences. After each trip i feel i come back a new me strong then the one that went in always or i simple just had a great time and it was a good day. My body is now all over the place. I twich at random times (neck, hands, toes, leg, ext.), I sometimes loose my cool and start being rude or simple just get annoyed for no reason. I felt so over powered, i felt honored to be part of this. Because of my excessive use of shrooms. I cant till this day enjoy mushrooms, its not that i get a bad trip. its the history i have with the fungi I cant be at peace going back in and out anymore. I stopped completly i got a tattoo of the chemical symbol psilocybin and been trying to fix my self little by little. It binded with me alright but it left me broken it didnt put things back the way it was. hard to explain. It was a wave of energy i felt course through my viens i felt like i was being decoded. As if this fugi was finding out everything about me, felt like he was looking thro my data. Then it let me have it i had multiple episodes (to long to type) I was also tripping for about 19 hours. It was a huge come down that i just knocked out. I still not sure what happened to me that night. Just wanted to share this to inform you that they can damage you really bad. You dont have to be at ease or happy to take them it will allways varie on you and the path that lays ahead. I still have hope in the art dont get me wrong this was my mistake. They created me, gave me something I am eternally greatfull for that is hope. Hope. never loose hope.
    Book: Compass of Pleasure
    ^talks about all kinds of things that activate our different receptors from drugs to food, gambling, charity, ext.