Drug info - Does the Size of a Mushroom Affect its Potency?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by Curtains, Nov 22, 2005.

1. Curtains

Curtains Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    does the size of the actual mushroom matter when it comes to potency?
    swim just picked some and was wondering if an 1/8th of a few large
    mushrooms is equal to an 8th of a bunch of small ones strength wise

2. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    It's all the same. Weight = dosage.

3. Freak_

Freak_ Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Germany
    But you can't get sure how much psylocibin/psylocin it contains.

4. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    In general, there shouldn't be much of a difference. Shroom potency
    can vary so much anyway... an eighth is generally a safe starting
    point for experienced people.

Although there are people that claim that it's not so much the relative
    size of a shroom (big vs. little) as much as the relative development
    (unbroken veil vs. fully developed), since, although not proven,
    psiloc(yb)in production slows down as the shroom gets ready to start
    producing spores and shit. Even with a big, developed shroom it's not
    so much the total amount of alkaloids as much as the concentration.

The one major exception would be aborts (little baby mushrooms that
    didn't grow up), which most people find to be a lot more potent by
    weight.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  5. a-SalviaLover

a-SalviaLover Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from guam
    Well with shroomz everything is too relative. I've had awesome trips from a very small amount of shroomz and I have very little effects with much larger quantities. I mean that you can't guess its potency when you look at it. I've always been on the opinion that the size doesn't matter. And the larger shroomz are not always more potent than the smaller ones.

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I heard somewhere before that the caps of the shrooms are supposed to contain more psilocybin though I took this comment with a pinch of salt.

Not being able to assess the amount of psilocybin can be annoying though. SWIM's buddy went to see Prodigy play the other night and ate 10g fresh of psilocybe McKennai (usually an excellent and very potent strain) but got absolutely no effects off them and it's not like he has a great tolerance for psychadelics or anything.

I was sold rather dud philosopher's stones before as well. SWIM only peaked for an hour or so a good three hours after ingestion.

You win some, you lose some I guess.

7. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    The Notorious Cap/Stem Debate!

Yeah, I swear the debate over the cap/stem thing will go on forever... there actually was a study done, and that particular study showed that the caps contain up to 50% more alkaloids than the stems... although that was just one experiment. I'll believe it when there have been more done to back it up. According to that study, it seems to be a strain based thing - Mattias Romero/Ecudorian = stronger caps, Amazonian = equal potency in caps and stem. But honestly, who really cares - you eat the whole shroom anyways.

But anyways, varying potency can suck... too many genetic variables involved. SWIM once ate one large (fresh) shroom, thinking it wouldn't do that much. Let me tell ya, I was in for a big surprise...

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  8. Camapily

Camapily Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I believe that the caps do in fact contain more psilocybin than the stems. He's had better trips on caps than just stems.

Also, I'm not surprised that his friend didn't get much of a buzz off
    of 10 gs of FRESH mushrooms. SWIM normally sees them dry, and mushrooms
    are 90% water, so 10gs fresh = 1g dried. And 1g won't do too much.

9. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Yes, but they were McKennai, a very potent strain. They tend to get people tripping on as low as 10g fresh.

10. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    In my experience the stems and caps have the same potency. I have gotten an 1/8 of only stems and had an awesome trip. im not sure what kind they were as i did not pick them, but it was equivelant to any trip ive had with caps. and for the size matter that too hasnt made a difference in my experience ive had one shroom weigh an 1/8 and had the same caliber trip as 5 or 6 in an 1/8.

11. wednesday

wednesday Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i think i will do my own experiment

maybe get a 1/4 take all the caps off and do equal doses
    with lemon juice to potentiate of course

do like a gram of caps ground up with thejuice and a gram of the stems the same way and see how different it really is

12. rideburton56

rideburton56 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Sorry folks hit the enter button a little to early, but ya i dont understand why you would use lemon juice with the mushrooms. every time I has had shrooms he has chewed them up straight and swallowed, and has gotten plenty fucked up :)

13. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    This is a debate that has been going on for a while. Here is my opinion.

YES the size does matter to some extent. So does every other growth factor that went into producing the shrooms. These conditions include temp, humidity, strain, method of colonization, substrate....etc. Supposedly the shrooms stop producing alkaloids right before the veil drops. This is why many growers pick the shrooms right as the veil is starting to tear. They also tend to taste better at this point. I think the difference is minute unless you pick pins. One time I had to pick over 200g wet of pins for reasons untold. Well let him tell you 3.5 grams of pins is a nice bit stronger than 3.5 of fully grown shrooms. They must produce lots of alkaloids at the inital stages then the production probably slows down. just swims opinion though. 3.5 (35 wet) of pins made SWIM see entities in his room! WOW he wasnt expecting that.

14. fatmanstan

fatmanstan Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Swim used to grow, and yeah, the best time to pick is just after the veil has ripped, but then it's the whole "quantity versus quality" thing. Personally, he never really liked the taste, so he would sacrifice size for potency. Also, don't really know about the whole caps vs stems potency thing, but SWIM always prefered to just eat the stems, due to the taste.

Interesting side note, the faster you can dry them, the more potent they will be. Psilocin breaks down quickly, and if simply "air dried", alot will have been lost. P. Cubensis are generally approx. 50% psilocin and 50% psilocybin. SWIM always used the calcium carbonate method of drying, and for a purely subjective test, let some air dry to test the difference. Quite a significant difference was noticed.

calcium chloride, not carbonate.

Sorry
    (can't edit posts, or i would)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009