1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Australia - Dogs recovering well from marijuana poisoning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Docta, Feb 28, 2013.

  1. Docta

    Docta Idiot Savant Palladium Member Donating Member

    Reputation Points:
    7,211
    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2005
    Messages:
    2,634
    Male from Australia
    [imgr=white]http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=31541&stc=1&d=1362043938[/imgr]WILBUR is one of two Mosman dogs who have recovered after what is believed to have been marijuana poisoning.

    The three-year-old Cocker Spaniel is believed to have eaten marijuana on his morning walk through Clifton Gardens on Friday, and his owner Kate van Dijk said that later in the day Wilbur couldn't walk and was "really out of it and all over the place".

    Wilbur was the second pup to present at Mosman Veterinary Clinic, with a Labrador brought in an hour earlier.
    "We saw a four-year-old black lab with very, very unusual neurological signs which was very poorly, and had gone downhill rapidly since its morning walk, on which the owner had seen it eat something unidentified,"

    Mosman vet Charlotte Surridge said.
    "We stabilised it but it was deteriorating rapidly so we sent it off to the specialist hospital for further treatment.
    "After some detective work from our vets it turned out that both dogs had been walked down the laneway in Clifton Gardens ... and both had eaten something while there.
    "It was (later) concluded that they must have got into someone's ... drugs as both were showing signs of marijuana-toxicity."

    Ms Van Dijk believed the Labrador found the drugs first.
    "I think that the Labrador, who presented about an hour before ... Friday got the lion's share," she said.
    "We think they may have found some hash cookies, because it doesn't seem likely they'd just eat it straight out."

    Lisa Herbertson
    The Mosman Daily
    news.com.au
    February 27, 2013 11:27AM

    http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/ho...ctim-to-pot-find/story-fngwib2y-1226586706974
     

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. hookedonhelping

    hookedonhelping Titanium Member

    Reputation Points:
    2,352
    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    Messages:
    1,367
    from earth
    When I was younger I came home from work and Crystal (9 months old at the time), my now 12 year old pit bull, was walking sideways. I was very worried, unsure what the hell she had gotten into. I held her close, and felt her heart racing very fast. I began freaking out. What the hell did she get into?! It was then that it hit me. I raced into the living room and sure enough, the cellophane from 2 cookies that were laden with cannabis oil was laying on the floor by my computer desk!! These cookies were STRONG. A half of one of these cookies would leave you trippy for 6 hours!! I freaked out and called a out of state animal 911 type number. I was paranoid that someone would arrive at my house if I called locally. At the time I had a house full of chemicals and glassware.

    The woman on the phone instructed me to give her over the counter hydrogen peroxide. I did this by prying open her mouth and pouring the liquid down her throat. She responded by vomiting a light neon green color. This was the color of the butter I used to make the cookies.

    Needless to say I woke up the next morning after holding her tight all through the night, to her slobbering all over my face with her kisses.

    Like humans, I think it is very hard for an dog to meet it's demise from consuming THC. I know if it was me, I would have been insanely high had I ate those two cookies! They were by no means small and were made from a Northern Lights - Silver Haze hybrid strain.

    A few years later she ate my birthday dinner that I had wrapped up on the stove. It was filet mignon and garlic mashed potatoes. She has good taste.
     
  3. Baba Blacksheep

    Baba Blacksheep Titanium Member Donating Member

    Reputation Points:
    431
    Joined:
    May 29, 2011
    Messages:
    416
    Male from portugal
    ^^^ So pleased your dog recovered without incident. Bet you didn't leave any cookies within reach after that.
    Does she approach a cookie with caution now?
    Your post is a very good read. Best, Baba
     
  4. hookedonhelping

    hookedonhelping Titanium Member

    Reputation Points:
    2,352
    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2010
    Messages:
    1,367
    from earth
    Thanks for the kind sentiments Baba! She could care less what edible it is, she begs for everything and anything. The only things she won't eat is bananas, lettuce tomatoes and cucumbers. My other two pits (14 weeks old) will eat toe nails if you gave them to them.

    The worst thing my older dog Crystal ate, besides the THC laden cookies in 2002, was the cord to my Technics DJ Headphones. She caught an ass whoopin for that. She hasn't destroyed anything else other sine then other than the trim to a door frame 8 years ago and that was not her fault. She is a very well behaved dog. The other two pup's, Molly and Sparky, they are still in training but on their way to being very well behaved dogs. Pit bulls are tough dogs to train. Not recommended for first time dog owners. They are stubborn, but in my opinion, one of the most loving loyal breeds on the planet.

    In 2002 I was not as mature and even tempered as I am not. I am a firm believer in not hitting animals. The only time a really lost it was 11 years ago when that cord got chewed. Those headphones were very expensive and I did not possess the knowledge at the time to repair them. If that happened today I would deal with the situation much differently.

    Pet's are great, they can really help you mature and become a more responsible person. I hope I am able to open a rescue someday. I will keep the THC locked up, where it belongs. ;)
     
  5. Alien Sex Fiend

    Alien Sex Fiend Silver Member

    Reputation Points:
    1,385
    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2012
    Messages:
    4,425
    Male from Canada
    Why would animals react so strongly to thc? I ve seen my cousin's dog drunk after her drunk friends gave the dog liquor. Animals act really weird on drugs. Maybe cause they are low weights?
     
  6. ianzombie

    ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

    Reputation Points:
    12,257
    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2007
    Messages:
    11,136
    41 y/o Male from ireland
    Because they are animals and have completely different bodys to humans.
    People risk killing animals if they give them certain foods, so its no surprise that drugs intended for human use might affect them differently.