Drug info - DOI (4-iodo-2,5-dimethoxyamphetamine) Drug Info

Discussion in 'Phenethylamines' started by Alfa, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    #67 DOI: 2,5-Dimethoxy-4-iodoamphetamine
    DOI

[​IMG]

2,5-DIMETHOXY-4-IODOAMPHETAMINE

DOSAGE: 1.5 - 3.0 mg.

DURATION: 16 - 30 h.

QUALITATIVE COMMENTS: (with 0.6 mg) There was a nice spacey light-headedness for a few hours, and time seemed to move quite slowly. Then a generic sadness came over me, as I reminisced about earlier days (recalling pleasures now gone) and wondered if I would be allowed to be here on the Farm when I am old and not important. There is so much to be done, and I cannot do it all, and no one else cares. My mood became present-day and healthy by about the seventh hour.

(with 1.6 mg) The general nature of the experience was depressing, with a sad view of life. There was no way I could connect with my emotions. Even my sadness was vague. At about the ninth hour I decided that enough was enough, and this strangely disappointing about-plus-two was aborted with 125 micrograms of LSD. The emotions became present and living within a half hour. I was greatly relieved. The erotic was not a mechanical attempt but a deeply involved feeling with an archetype of orgasm easily available. It was shaped like a flower, richly colored, with an unusual "S" shape to it. This was a lovely end to a difficult day.

(with 3.0 mg) This is a clear, clean psychedelic. The eyes-closed imagery is excellent, with clearly delineated patterns, pictures, and colors. Perfect for an artist, and next time I'll devote some time to painting. Total ease for the body, but no help for my smoking problem. I still want to smoke. And at sixteen hours into this I am still at 1.5+ but I'll try to go to bed anyway, and sleep.

(with 3.5 mg) I was at a full crashing +++ for about three or four hours. There was none of the LSD sparkle, but there were moments of `light-headedness' where one could move sideways with reality. I could leave where I was right over there, and come over here and get a strange but authentic view of where the `there' was that I had left. It would be out-of-body, except that the body came over here with me rather than staying there. This doesn't make sense now, but it sure did then. There was no trace of body impact, and I slept late that evening, but with some guardedness due to the intense imagery. This was no more intense than with 3.0 milligrams, but it was a little bit more to the unreal side.

(with 1.0 mg of the "R" isomer) There was a clear ++ from the second to the eighth hour, but somehow there was not quite the elegance or the push of the racemate. I was sensible, and managed to do several technical chores in a reasonable way. Easy sleep at 15 hours into it.

(with 2.3 mg of the "R" isomer) The water solution of the hydrochloride salt has a slightly sweetish taste! I was at a +++ without question, but there was a slight down mood towards the end. And it lasted a really long time; I was distinctly aware of residual stuff going on, well into the next day.

(with 6.3 mg of the "S" isomer) I was at a benign one-and-a-half plus at about two hours, and finally flattened out at a ++. Would I double this dose? Probably not, but half again (to 9 or 10 milligrams) would feel safe for a plus 3. By evening I was near enough baseline to drive into town for a social obligation, but even when trying to sleep later that night there was some residue of imagery; remarkably, it was all in slow motion. The fantasies were slow-paced and sluggish. It would have been interesting to have explored eyes-closed during the day.

EXTENSIONS AND COMMENTARY: Again, as with every other psychedelic amphetamine analogue which has a chiral center and has been explored as the individual optical isomers, it is the "R" isomer that is the more potent. And again, the other isomer, the "S" isomer, still shows some activity. The same was true with DOB, and DOM, and MDA. The only exception was MDMA, but then that is more of a stimulant, and there is virtually no psychedelic component to its action. Rat studies, where there is a measure of the discrimination of a test compound from saline, have shown the "R" isomer to have about twice the potency of the "S" isomer. That the "R" is more potent is certain, but the above reports would suggest that the factor would be closer to times-four rather than times-two.

A number of studies with DOI in animal models have shown it to have an extremely high binding capacity to what are called the 5-HT2 receptors. Serotonin is a vital neurotransmitter in the brain, and is strongly implicated in the action of all of the phenethylamine psychedelics. The place where it acts, at the molecular level, is called its receptor site. As an outgrowth of the cooperative studies of the medicinal chemists working closely with the neuropharmacologists, a number of compounds have emerged that interact with these sites. But this one interacts with these sites and not those, and that one interacts with those sites and not these. So, there has developed a collection of sub-divisions and sub-subdivisions of receptor sites, all related to serotonin, but each defined by the particular compound that interacts most tightly with it.

Thus, there were serotonin "1" receptors, and then there were "1" and "2" receptors, and then "1a" and "1b" and "2a" and "2b" receptors, and on and on. These are called 5-HT receptors, since the chemical name for serotonin is 5-hydroxytryptamine, and the scientist would never want to let the layman know just what he is talking about. DOI has been synthesized with a variety of radioactive iodine isotopes in it, and these tools have been of considerable value in mapping out its brain distribution. And by extrapolation, the possible localization of other psychedelic compounds that cannot be so easily labelled. A small neurochemical research company on the East Coast picked up on these properties of DOI, and offered it as a commercial item for research experiments. But I doubt that they are completely innocent of the fact that DOI is an extremely potent psychedelic and that it is still unrecognized by the Federal drug laws since, in their most recent catalog, the price had almost doubled and a note had been added to the effect that telephone orders cannot be accepted for this compound.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. Terrapinzflyer

Terrapinzflyer MDMA, RC & News Forums Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Doi

Can anyone add information about DOI ?

• names / synonyms
    • molecule
    • dose
    • duration
    • side effects
    • legal status
    • have there been any reported incidents with this compound?
    • since when has this research chemical been available?
    • stability of the molecule / compound

Names: 2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodoamphetamine (DOI)
    IUPAC Name: 1-(2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenyl)-
    propan-2-amine
    CAS Number: 64584-34-5,*(R): 82864-06-0
    (S): 99665-04-0
    HCl: 82864-02-6
    Formula: C11H16INO2
    Molar Mass:321.15g/mol

It is supposedly Illegal in Sweeden, New Zealand, Japan, Denmark, and Australia. Not explicitly scheduled in the US but could be considered under the analog act.

With a common dosage range of 1mg-3.5mg DOI has semi-frequently shown up on blotter paper.

DOI is a selective 5-HT2A, 5-HT2B, and 5-HT2C receptor partial agonist. Its psychedelic effects are mediated by its agonistic properties at the 5-HT2A receptor. Due to its selectivity, DOI is often used in scientific research when studying the 5-HT2 receptor subfamily.

The solubility of DOI hydrochloride in H2O is 10 mg/ml, and in ethanol 2 mg/ml. (source= Major International scientific Chemical Supply)

Experiences with DOI should be discussed here: DOI Experiences

3. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Doi

Swim tells me he has had DOI in solution at twice that saturation in water.

:joint:

4. Synesthesiac

Synesthesiac R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    A friend of mine was recently hospitalized after a very unfortunate mistake dosage mistake with DOI. Instead of taking 1mg he (somehow) ended up taking 15mg in one hit. He was also on MDMA at the time. Within a short while he had a seizure and had to be admitted to hospital. The doctors told him he had serotonin syndrome, and he was in intesive care for a few days. Within 3 days I think he was pretty much back to normal and was discharged.

5. FryMonkey

FryMonkey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My Acquaintance got a hold of 5 hits of DOI on blotter paper. He said it was measured to 1.64 mg per hit. My acquaintance bought the compound for a music festival where the long duration will be ideal. He plans to use DPT, Nitrous, 2-CE and acid if he can find it while under the influence of the DOI. I will report back after my acquaintance returns from his trip.

6. davestate

davestate Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from northern_ireland
    Not a good idea to mix DPT, 2C-E or acid whilst under the influence of DOI. DOI has been shown to be a potent long acting vasoconstrictor, IIRC due to its action on serotonin receptors, the 5-HT2C + 5-HT2B receptors, all of which, when agonised, can cause vasoconstriction of the arteries. DOI also has a very long half life and duration of action, you could think the trip is over, dose on something else then be thrown into a physically and mentally uncomfortable place, especially when you are in an unknown setting and set. Ideally you should be experienced and comfortable with the effects of these drugs in your own "safe" place, before taking them in a relatively "hostile" environment like a music festival. Loud music, massive unfamiliar crowds and paranoia can lead to a very bad trip.
    2CE, LSD and DPT all act on these receptors, dosing them on top of each other could lead to life threatening side effects, heart attack, stroke, loss of limb due to tissue ischemia, not to mention the risk of a very bad trip, as all these drugs are very powerful hallucinogens. Take them separately, long after the effects have worn off, as it will be far safer and probably more enjoyable, as they have differing effects, which may only be noticed when taken on their own.

7. xiaobendan

xiaobendan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Would the DF community rate this as good as DOC or DOB

Afoaf is very interested in picking one of these babies, currently he's gonna go for DOC.

There is so little about these even on DF.

Afoaf has looked at all the available info, but he wants more first hand opinions from experienced psychonauts like himself.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  8. psychedelaholic

psychedelaholic Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from england
    I found DOI to be very dull, uninteresting and way too long for the effects I got. First time was with 2.5mg which I found so mild I didn't feel he tripped at all. I snorted some 2CE way into it and for a few hours it was good but that was it. Second time was 4.5mg and I did get visuals but was mild and lasted 20+ hours of very slight trippyness. I found 2CI equally uninspiring though. I know it was good as a friend had 2.5mg of the same and loved it. Main I effect I got from both was speedyness and slight creeping, energy line, cartooning visuals

DOC however was intense as fuck. I did have 4.5-5mg which is a large hit but took it out and had to come back home early as couldn't really function. Visual, very strong body load, quite sexual and speedy. Very very shaky on the come up. DOM is my favorite though - 10mg is absolute bliss. Am still yet to come across DOB.

Could the iodine on DOI and 2CI be the reason why I didn't find them that great? Could it be something to do with metabolistation?

9. xiaobendan

xiaobendan Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    DOB and DOM are schedule one, so they're totally illegal everywhere, except China maybe. Afoaf has too many responsibilities these day to go against the powers that be.:(

So the choice falls to DOI and DOC really. Psychedelaholic Afaof has read some of your posts and understands your a serious tripper so you've basically pushed him in the direction of DOC. It's sound like what afoaf is looking for.

He loves 5 Meo DMT but he needs a longer experience. It's been a few years since he's been in Europe and could get good acid easily.

Thank god for Shulgin, wasn't for that man he's been puking his stomach out doing Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds or something.

Afoaf will get back to this forum when he has anything to report on this matter.

10. FryMonkey

FryMonkey Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well SWIM finally got around to taking the DOI. SWIM never actually took it at that festival as he had planned. He had so much acid, mushrooms, molly, nitrous, cocaine, marijuana and alcohol at Bella Tempo Music Festival that he never got around to the DOI. Maybe if he did he wouldn't have missed Beats Antique to his regret (SWIM slept through it). But if you follow the flow, everything leads you to perfection...

FryMonkey added 77 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

Well shit SWIM hit tab and enter accidentally and much to his dismay he can't edit posts because he is a noob. Well anyway bear with SWIM, he is still tripping. Davestate please don't lecture SWIM on the dangers of Serotonin Syndrome or Vasoconstriction. He is always well aware of the risks of the activities he engages in. And I understand that when combining psychedelics and amphetamines he should proceed with the utmost caution and use lower doses of each substance.
    I took 2 doses at 4:58pm on 9/30 of 1.64 mg DOI on blotter paper with atomic symbols on each hit (totaling 3.28 mg). The doses tasted bitter and a bit like 2C-E. He was accompanied by his fiancée. They were going to see Bassnectar and EOTO at 7:30 at the Roy Wilkins Auditorium in Saint Paul, MN. The DOI built slowly over the next couple of hours. The first alerts were at the One hour mark. And then at two hours I felt he got another boost.
    I was stupid and got his tickets too late. He was stuck in the balcony with all the other sad sacks that waited too long. He had to get to the floor. The DOI started coursing through his veins and demanded he be on the dance floor. Throughout the entire first couple hours SWIM moped about his seats. He tried earlier to convince his friends on the floor to bring him their ticket stubs to get SWIM and his fiancée in but a certain friend resisted. He said the idea was "too greasy." Well just as the DOI really started to take hold another friend brought some stubs. I had the cleaver idea to say to the usher that his friends had left early and given us their tickets. Much to My surprise it actually worked. He got on the floor! This mixed with the DOI drove SWIM into a state of BLISS. Bassnectar ripped my Mind Open! The DOI was so perfect for this situation. Clear headed with energy and just the right amount of psychedelia. Nothing overwhelming, the perfect social party psychedelic. So much like pure Molly that SWIM almost can't tell the difference (except for the duration and onset of course). The DOI made SWIM dance almost uncontrollably till the last second Lorin Ashton was onstage.
    I had tickets to the after party show across town at the Loft. The DOI left SWIM with enough control to navigate his Fiancée to the location with Google maps. He considers this level of self control a key asset in a social psychedelic. SWIM continues to think about the magic of serotoninergenic drugs and its combination with Music. Bassnectar seems meant to take control of serotoninergenicly activated mind and guide on journey. The Jumbo-tron was evidence of psychedelic pre-intent with imagery that almost exactly represented CEV’s. It seems almost any serotoninergenic will do; molly, mushrooms, acid, DOI. Any serotoninergenic activates the magic and connects one with the Experience.
    At the after party I could not find his friends and was a bit bored. He had a delicious drink of Vodka, Red Bull, and Sprite that lifted his spirits a little. But after a short will SWIM and his Fiancée returned home; stopping at McDick along the way (the only thing open at 3:00am). SWIM and his fiancée laid in bed and cuddled until she fell asleep at 5:00am. I felt a very sensual feeling but not a sexual one. He had a great time just enjoying the closeness of each other (much like Molly). He lay in bed and closed his eyes. This propelled him into the only visuals he would have that night. He was in a sort of half-asleep, meditative state and the CEV's took him on a mini psychedelic journey into the abyss. He awoke, sort of, from this state to figure out what he was to do with the rest of the morning until his fiancée awoke 8 hours later. He watched some Star Trek: The Next Generation which synergized well with his state of mind. I find futuristic space sci-fi to blend quite well with serotoninergenic magic. The episode was about Q which was especially trippy as it crossed a lot of singularity theory territory about the future god-state of man. I am finding himself more obsessed with the ever increasing change rate of technology and society. He is consumed with the wondrous futures that await the great organism "HUMAN" on its evolution to the God State. He only hopes to share in these futures.
    It was time to Experience the Sunrise so I went outside. He hopped on his trusty bicycle and rode away thinking of Hoffman's Great Bicycle Ride. A prefect synergy was experienced with man and machine. SWIM rode almost perfectly. The DOI gave him an omnipresent awareness of intricacies of bicycle riding. He stopped at Cub Foods to purchase Toll House Macadamia Nut Cookie Dough to make for his fiancée when she wakes up. She had expressed a desire for them the previous evening. He noticed no paranoia while conducting business, unlike LSD.
    This leads up to the current moment in My life. In retrospect he thinks DOI is a great party psychedelic. Clear headed enough to still be able to function but strong enough to take SWIM for a ride. He had little visuals but Bassnectar’s Jumbo-tron provided them for him. SWIM can't say enough about how perfect this evening was. He disagrees with psychedelaholic that DOI is boring. It has its merits. This is good for situations that you want to get serotoninergenized without a total mindfuck. Psychedelaholic didn't have to go home early on DOI. SWIM looks forward to dosing with the other three hits. And he looks forward to the day at the Renaissance Festival that he has before him (He got free tickets at work earlier this week).
    9:30 - FRYMONKEY (16 ½ hours and still trippin’) SIGNING OUT........

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  11. sveedish

sveedish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My friend has this mutant-gerbil who just got DOI blotter, with 5 milligrams per tab. Gerbil has read the PIKHAL entry, and all of the reports on erowid, and everything that the gerbil could find on drugs-forum and many other sources. Gerbil's frustrated at the lack of info, and the lack of consistency of the info that is available. Plus theres not as much reliable info on the blotter Route of Administration because (especially in erowid) people just say they took 1 or 2 "hits," without specifying what each tab was dosed with and without saying whether they dosed sublingually or if they swallowed it immediately.

Gerbil can't believe that somebody thought it was a good idea to put 5mg per tab because that sounds like too much, but then again, perhaps that makes gerbil dumb for deciding to get some of this blotter. Gerbil recieved DOI blotter from a source that supposedly produces quality product, but gerbil worries about why someone supposedly so reliable would put 5mg per tab. Like maybe the quality was bad in this case, so they had to compensate by putting more on each tab to ensure that one tab would be a decent trip. Gerbil is merely speculating and thinking of different scenarios., and Gerbil is definitely not taking the chance of doing a whole tab the first time.

Gerbil was thinking of cutting one tab in half to get a 2.5 mg dose and then gerbil will place that in between lip and teeth for probably about 30 minutes. Was thinking possibly 3mgs because it would be frustrating if 2.5 was only enough to give her insomnia and not a good trip...the nightmarish trip reports made gerbil worry and consider only doing two. But from what she's read 2.5 sounds about right. Does that sound like a reasonable first time dose? Gerbil weighs about 170 lbs, and is not on any medications, and does not plan to mix DOI with any other substances. A little background info on gerbil's experience with hallucinogens:

***shrooms about 30-40 times usually at the 2 gram range, and occasionally at the 3.5 gram range,
    2ci
    a few times, at the 25 mg range at the most
    4-aco-dmt
    - once did 36 mg, which was a very intense trip...got depressed and scared for awhile, but overall had a good time, might be Gerbil's favorite drug.
    dxm
    - countless times, probably the most gerbil did was something like 600 mg mixed with 400 mg of diphenhydramine, very intense, had moments of freak-outs, but was overall a great time so it was worth it.
    4-ho-met -
    15 mg very mild
    dmt -
    Gerbil's least favorite drug, had some incredible visuals, but NOT worth it. Even threshold effects produce feelings of extreme fear and panic, gerbil was disappointed because gerbil had such high hopes.
    ecstacy pills -
    had varied experiences, but Gerbil usually had trouble getting desired effects. Only done it a few times, but enjoyable. Gerbil worries about possible neurotoxic effects, and has had occasional periods of depression, so Gerbil does not partake anymore.
    LSD
    - oddly enough, Gerbil has never tripped on acid. Done it on three different occasions but they must have been weak hits because gerbil barely felt anything.***

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated, and gerbil plans to write a trip report after this experiment.
    Thanks you kindly!!!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  12. fatal

fatal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    5mg of DOI is a very high dosage for most people especially in a dose unit. Reminiscent of the tablets which resulted in DOM being made illegal(catastrophe). I would be concerned about products from that particular source in the future. Of course if you ate one or two of them and end up in the mental hospital then it just might actually be some good DOI. :\ Please do not hurt yourself.

13. sveedish

sveedish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Gerbil just wanted to come back and clarify that the blotter is actually 1.5 mg per tab. It was a fucked up typo on the part of the supplier.

14. Rob Cypher

Rob Cypher Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    [deleted; irrelevant]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  15. Wangers

Wangers Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    Monkey has had fair amount of experiencewith DOI, they are every where in my area, lasts to long for monkeys liking and he doesnt get real social on them and has trouble keeping up conversations and general babbling acid talk but most of monkeys friends can talk and dribble on all night and enjoy them, usually takes 3hrs to come on and have a few problems with people taking more before the 1st one kicks in. Monkeys friend recently changed alcohol to soak blotter and the paper seems to absorb better and not leave residue on outside, also they taste pretty strong and bitter so you can tell easily if blotter is a DOx