Drug info - DOM (STP) (2,5-dimethoxy-4-methylamphetamine) Drug Info

Discussion in 'Phenethylamines' started by Alfa, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    DOM

STP; 2,5-DIMETHOXY-4-METHYLAMPHETAMINE

DOSAGE: 3 - 10 mg.

DURATION: 14 - 20 h.

QUALITATIVE COMMENTS: (with 1.0 mg) There is almost certainly an effect. Physically there is a slight dryness in the mouth, and my eyes are noticeably dilated. There is an eerie feeling overall.

(with 2.3 mg) Mood elevation at 2-3 hrs. After 3 hours, emotional effects become more pronounced, enhancement of color also. Very little distortion of perception, no disorientation, no creeping or flowing, but color enhancement considerable. The emotional content and empathy for others was closer to mescaline than to amphetamine, a welcome change. No suggestion of nausea at any time. Unable to sleep at ten hours, so I took 3/4 grain Seconal. Headache and listlessness next morning, probably due to the Seconal.

(with 3 mg) In the middle of the experience I found that I was able to separate components of complex things so as to evaluate them separately. There is no need to respect their normal purpose. The sharpness of observation is enhanced, but one can focus at every different depth of a thing or a concept. Colors are not just brighter; there are more of them. There is a profoundness of meaning inherent in anything that moves. A line of thought or a bit of personal history ties the thinker to the objects that had been thought of, or once experienced. It is this relationship that will prove productive. Not like in a movie which is circular in its totalness, but as in true life where the future is the result of your own involvement with everything about you.

(with 4 mg) The first four hours were largely directed to the body. There was a shuddering, and a tight jaw, and I am not particularly motivated to talk to anyone. It is more arousing (like amphetamine) than depressing (like phenobarb). I am feeling just a little sick at the three hour point, but a bit of regurgitation clears this up. Then at the fourth hour, it went totally outside of me. I saw the clouds towards the west. THE CLOUDS!!! No visual experience has ever been like this. The meaning of color has just changed completely, there are pulsations, and pastels are extremely pastel. And now the oranges are coming into play. It is a beautiful experience. Of all past joys, LSD, mescaline, cannabis, peyote, this ranks number one. Normally I have no color effects with mescaline. A dynamic experience. Feels good, too.

(with 5 mg) There was the magnification of light, color and odors. It was all very pleasant and beautiful, except that I had an overwhelmingly negative feeling. This at times grew to considerable intensity, and I feel it was clearly due to anger. At times the negativity disappeared completely, and I broke into the most enjoyable, even hilarious experiences. I alternated about 50-50 between joy and discomfort. As the evening drew on, I became withdrawn and pensive. It seemed clear that I had made all the wrong decisions--choice of partner, place to live, isolation, no meaningful activity. The greatest shocker was that my practice of meditation, which is one of my central focuses, and which I thought had brought me much peace and understanding, seemed to be a delusional solution to my unhappiness and isolation. The experience continued unabated throughout the night with much tension and discomfort. I was unable to get any sleep. I hallucinated quite freely during the night, but could stop them at will. While I never felt threatened, I felt I knew what it was like to look across the brink to insanity.

(with 8 mg) The very quiet development picks up speed betweeen the first and second hour. There is a rich curly-imaged eyes-closed show that interlocks closely with music. It is occasionally an off-beat fantasy and not directly knit together, and even occasionally unenjoyable. But always intense and completely appropriate to the music. There is a continuous thirst, and little urine. Napping seems OK at 16 hours, but real sleep must wait until the 20 hour point. Overall a rolling +++, and I am looking forward to a repeat some day.

(with 10 mg) If on this page I shall have expressed it to you then it is true that DOM has the glory and the doom sealed up in it. All that's needed to unseal it is to surround it with a warm living human for a few hours. For that human for those hours all the dark things are made clear.

(with 12 mg) The first awareness was at 30 minutes and it was in the tummy. The development was extremely rapid, something more like LSD than previously remembered. The body tremor feels like poisoning, there is no escaping the feeling of being disabilitated, but at least there is no nausea. This transition ended and the trauma cleared completely at about the second hour. The music was exceptional, the erotic was exceptional, the fantasy was exceptional. Listz's "A Christmas Cantata #1," part 1, with eyes closed was an experience without precedent. There were some residual effects still noted the next day. This may be a bit much for me.

(with 0.3 mg of the "R" isomer) Maybe slightly wiry? No effects.

(with 0.5 mg of the "R" isomer) There is a real effect, and it is significant that the first effects of the racemate were noted at 1.0 milligram. There is a trace of time slowing and in general a pretty full manic state. There is some mydriasis. Everything had pretty much cleared up by evening.

(with 2.0 mg of the "S" isomer) No effects. There was an unexpected slight tachycardia at the two hour point, but nothing suggesting psychotropic action.

(with 2.6 mg of the "S" isomer) There are signs of both pulse increase and blood pressure increase. There is some teeth-rubbiness, but still no psychological turn on at all.

EXTENSIONS AND COMMENTARY: The rationale for the design and making of DOM has already been discussed. One could predict that it could have been, theoretically, a totally inactive compound and maybe an effective blocker for whatever receptor sites are being occupied by other psychoactive drugs and even for strange things that some unbalanced people might actually make within their bodies, using their own personal chemistry. On the other hand, it could have been a potent psychedelic in its own rights, and if so, probably long lived. The latter "could have been" proved to be so.

The very modest amount of study of the individual optical isomers clearly indicates that the "R" isomer is the more active. The sparse comments suggest that some of the heavier physical aspects of the racemate might be due to contributions from the "inactive" "S" isomer. It is, after all, the "S" isomer of amphetamine that carries the major punch of that stimulant. Maybe if that isomer were removed, and one were to explore the pure "R" isomer of DOM, the dramatic visual aspects of the larger dosages might not be complicated with a troublesome physical component.

This compound, unbeknownst to me, was scattered widely and plentifully in the heyday of the Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco, in mid-1967. It was distributed under the name STP, which was said to stand for Serenity, Tranquility, and Peace. It was also claimed to represent Super Terrific Psychedelic, or Stop The Police. The police called it: Too Stupid to Puke. Actually, the name was taken from the initials of a motor additive which was completely unrelated chemically. Incredibly, and sadly, one of the avowed experts in the area of the "sensuous drugs" actually stated that STP, the motor oil additive, was really one and the same as STP, the highly dangerous psychedelic. The motor oil additive, he wrote in a book of his, had properties somewhat related to those of LSD, mescaline, and the amphetamines. How fortunate that the love children of the time didn't do much reading, for they might have gotten into yet deeper pharmacological troubles with drug raids on the local gasoline stations.

Two complications became apparent during this first appearance and they led to serious difficulties. One, there was no equation made between STP and DOM. No one knew what this drug was which had been distributed in a cavalier way throughout the city. There could be no educated guess as to the best treatment of overdose emergencies. And secondly, the initial tablets that had been distributed apparently contained 20 milligrams of DOM per tablet; later, it was dropped to 10 milligrams. Either of these, in retrospect, is now known to be a thoroughly whopping dose. The overdose situation was aggravated by the slow onset of DOM. The user may be aware of some initial effects at the half-hour point, there will be what might be called a + or ++ at the end of the first hour, and the full impact of the drug is not appreciated until some two hours have elapsed. But many of the recipients of the free handouts of DOM were familiar with LSD which can show its alert in 15 to 20 minutes, or even sooner with a large dose, and there is already a deep and compelling intoxication felt at the half-hour point. They, quite reasonably, expected this familiar activity pattern with STP and assumed, when there was little if any activity noted at the half-hour point, that the potency was less than expected. They took one or even two additional dosage units. Thus, some of the overdose victims of that period may well have taken as much as 30 mg of DOM. The slow onset of action, coupled with the remarkably long duration, caught many innocent users unprepared.

Clinical studies have documented the rapid tolerance development from repeated exposures to DOM. Five volunteers were given 6 milligrams daily for three days. Objectively, psychological tests showed a decrease in responses. Subjectively, all found extremely intense effects on the first day, and all but one found it unpleasant. By the third exposure on the third day, all had diminished responses, ranging from only "moderately strong" to "felt absolutely nothing." One actually slept during the experience on the third day.

2. JewishNazi

JewishNazi Gold Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Dr Shulgin write about it in one of his books. He beleives the effective dose is about 2 - 6mg. Some fool went and sold tabs with 20mg in them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
  3. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I just had a funny idea. I'll bet that, in certain areas like San Francisco,
    DOM (STP) had enough of a reputation at that point in time, that some
    dealers sold people LSD doses for extra money by representing it as
    "STP".Edited by: radiometer

4. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    DOM was sold as STP in Haight Ashbury in 1967.From what I have
    read it was distrbuted in either 15 mg or 20 mg doses, depending on
    what history you read. It gave DOM a bad name. It's not that different
    from the DOx coupmonds that are said to be circulating these days.

STP stood for Serenity, Tranquilty, Peace, although apparently the
    San Francisco police saidit was"Too Stupid to Puke."

By the way, it nothing like MDMA or other 'enactogens.'

Edited by: enquirewithin

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
  5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    It first appeared as a white tablet with blue spots - containing 20mg DOM. After that disaster, it reappeared as a scored 10mg orange heart-shaped tablet - very much like a 5mg dexedrine.

It caused quite a few major freak-outs. Including one person I knew who seven years later was still suffering from a psychotic break he attributed to DOM. He jumped off a 12-story building to stop it.

That said - this thread is moving...Edited by: nagognog2

6. Toltec

Toltec Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I believe most of the freak outs where caused by people feeling the need of having to take more, simply because they did not feel any effects after an hour? The people back then where manly use to LSD, and the nature of how fast they felt the effects, I remember you could feel it in 15min to 30min, back then! So I can understand that taking DOM @ 20mg which is a huge dose by its self, taking more would have been insane!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  7. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    there was a TV appearence by a major drug prohibitionist claiming STP motor oil infact contained / was a precursor to DOM, aka, yes, too Stupid To Puke.

Sasha got really surly over that one hittin the streets then, thus we probably havent been seeing any really interesting ones from him for awhile, torch passed arguemnts notwithstanding.

8. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Well, he did say that DOM (STP) was his "Problem Child" like Hofmann refered to LSD25. All it takes is some money-grubbing jackass to wreck it for the rest.

I have a friend who did DOM back in the 1960's when it was distributed to psychiatrists for testing. The shrink was his mother and she had a nice gathering of friends and family at her home. Candles were lit. Music was played. And they all took 5mg of DOM. The result was a wonderful all-night opening and discussion of how they loved this and that. It worked fine.

Meanwhile - some asswipe was pumping STP onto the streets and the ER's were filling up with casualties from the 20mg. tablets.

Did the peaceful and serene nights make the papers? No. Just the body count. It's the old addage: "Dog bites man" is not a news story. "Man bites dog" and you sell papers.

9. dmax

dmax Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    DOM == most "fun" drug I've ever tried. 18+ hours of speedy euphoric tripping. Dose ~10mg. I'd pay more for this than lsd.

10. Dogears

Dogears Newbie

Reputation Points:
    How could anyone put DOM out at 20mg? Was this person completely ignorant of what this drug was? Did they not try it themselves? Truely a strange bit of history there.

From what I have read it sounds like DOM is amoung the best of the DOX drugs.

11. FrankenChrist

FrankenChrist Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    How does one feel after DOM has worn out? (The day and week after?) Is there a possibility for a crash like with MDMA?

12. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    from 'Storming Heaven: LSD and the American Dream':

hey sailed into San Jose as rush hour began, beat a light just as it turned red, made a few quick turns and motored on without mishap to Denver, where Scully rented a house with a basement and attached garage, just off the park, across from the zoo.

When the lab was operational, he went to Owsley to get the promised lysergic monohydrate. But Owsley put him off, saying the time wasn't right. In fact what had happened was this: fearing that they might be busted, Melissa had stashed the precious lysergic monohydrate in a safe deposit box in Arizona under a phony name, and now she couldn't remember what the name was. They had tried everything, including hypnosis, to no avail.

But Owsley didn't tell Scully that. Instead he handed him a 3 X 5 card with several lines of notes. This was the next step, he assured Scully, the superdrug they had been waiting for. All Tim had to do was figure out how to synthesize it.

In time, the next step would acquire a name, STP, and a reputation: "Like being shot out of a gun. There's no slowing down or backing up. You feel like your brakes have given out … "

There was a period when the group mind also passed through the shadow, as it were, and it was here, as the Pranksters learned during the Watts Acid Test, when the urge to erase all limits, to annihilate everything was overwhelming.

The Haight had reached this point in its collective journey, and one of the reasons it was unable to summon the wisdom to guide itself past this darkness was STP.

People took STP and went on three‑day trips, many of them terrifying. "I saw myself on fire and then I began to feel the pain of fire … I was in hell."[21] It was the ultimate macho trip and descriptions of it sounded like war stories, people exploding through the envelope and burning, or filled with a cold wind that wouldn't stop blowing through the hollows of their mind. STP didn't stay a secret for long. The authorities knew about the new superpsychedelic ("the next step," enthused the chemists, the first of many new combinations) almost immediately because as soon as STP hit the street the emergency rooms filled with nervous, flipped‑out kids who quickly became screaming, sobbing kids when the Thorazine (the traditional antidote for a bad LSD trip) took effect. Apparently Thorazine acted as a booster to the STP, pushing the horror up a few more notches.

That wasn't the whole story, by any means, although it was the one that the average citizen received. What happened to most STP users was subtler, and perhaps even more profound. When Dick Alpert took it, he generally liked it and predicted a useful future. But he also made a curious remark: "I felt I had lost something human. I felt that I had lost my humanity."[22] Alpert wasn't particularly bothered by this (for reasons that will become clear) but it really worried Ken Kesey. Kesey took STP and "forgot something. I lost a thing we take for granted, something that's been forged over I don't know how many thousands of years of human effort, and it's now in us. All I knew when this high was over was that I'd forgotten it, and it was the most important thing I'd ever known and I'd known it since I was a kid." Kesey had a hard time articulating exactly what this was ("a way of relating that, when it's gone, leaves you mighty bleak") but finally he settled for "the tiller." STP had burned away his tiller.

13. Voices

Voices Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    STP is something I've heard about since I was a kid and always have an ear to the tracks for.

What are the odds that STP would be potentiated by Thorazine? I can't even imagine what it would be like to be on 40mg STP (some kids took 2 pills when after an hour they felt nothing) and hoping for the Thorazine abort- only to get kicked in the proverbial nuts.

14. glogga

glogga Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    From Pihkal:

15. dmax

dmax Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    DOM is the most enjoyable psychedilic I have tried. A crash occurred, but only due to irresponsible addition drug ingestion during the trip (there was ample time to stuff swim's head full of other drugs). I expect you'll be worn out the next day due to being sped up for 18 hours, but no hangover to speak of like I get from alcohol, mdma.

16. rocky

rocky Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    if somebody has tried DOC and DOB could you compare these two substances? i wonder do they have similar effects

17. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    in swim's opinon DOC is a 'smoother' and shorter trip than DOB. by smoother I mean less body load.

18. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    pinkavvy is correct. DOB is STRONG SHIT! The dose is much lower and it lasts for a lot longer. Also, it feels much more speedy and "dirty." I would compare both drugs to LSD, but if you could give each a nickname....DOB would be extremely dirty acid and DOC would be clean acid. The visuals with DOC seem to be more pronounced too. Much more clear. The dose I took of DOB was 1.5mg. The vody cramps and tremmors were terrible. He wouldnt have taken more if it was given to him. He WONT take DOB again. On the other hand, DOC is clean feeling and smooth sailing. Higher doses have not produced negative side effects.

DOB and DOI both pretty much suck in comparison to DOC. The trip with DOC isnt as long as either of those two for SWIM. The crash with DOB was horrible but non existant with DOC.

19. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Poor old Bongo did DOB a few times. He wanted to see if he could become immune to it. It put Bongo into a speedy Hell-trip with unending visions that he could only describe as like those painted by Hieronymous Bosch. The body load was hideous and contributed to this hellish venture. It was something Bongo would only recommend to people who pissed him off. Here, have some idea of the world Bongo experienced on it:

Attached Files:

20. RunRedFox

RunRedFox Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: DOM STP

I am planning on trying this chem very soon as he happens to have access to it. any advice for swim, could I dose his dose/doses out on blotter paper. Also I has the choice between DOI, DOC, DOB and DOM would DOM be the best choice. swims had both DOI and DOC.