Dope drought (Ireland & UK)

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Abrad, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    www.dundalktoday.com
    THE region's recent dry spell has coincided with another form of less welcome drought for Dundalk's cannabis smokers as they experience the most severe shortage of the drug in years.
    For well over a month now smokers of the popular yet illegal drug have been unable to score anything but the lowest quality hash and even that has now dried up.
    Head of the local drugs unit here in Dundalk, Detective Sergeant, Brian Mohan, puts the dope drought down to a combination of factors.
    "It's not something that is specific to Dundalk. It's a national situation. It could be a combination of any number of factors from the conflict in the Middle East and many of the hash producing countries to efforts by dealers in general to change the usual drugs of choice to more expensive options.
    "Certainly from our point of view we have been working hard to stem the sale of all drugs in the town and its environs. To this end we have been working with a number of state bodies and community agencies, who have provided invaluable assistance in terms of intelligence on where drugs are being sold, resulting in a number of major seizures of all kinds of drugs."
    Speaking to The Dundalk Democrat one regular user of the drug described the situation as "awful".
    "Even if you're willing to travel to get it there's still nothing available anywhere and whatever anyone does get their hands on they're keeping for themselves and their regulars."
    Another regular hash smoker said: "There's loads of grass around. The town is flooded with it but no-one can afford to buy it. They're doing €50 bags which equates to an evening's smoke to a regular smoker."
    Some smokers are finding that giving up smoking hash altogether is the best option while others are seeking alternatives to tide them over the shortage.
    "The hash shortage is the best thing that could have happened as far as I'm concerned, because I've given it up altogether," said one long term smoker.
    "I was a regular hash smoker for many years but I got fed up of not being able to get it and decided to knock it on the head once and for all.
    "It's great. I feel much better in myself and I have a lot more money so it's done me a favour."
    10 August 2006

1. 5/5,
      Nice Thread, shame about the properganer(sp)
      Aug 17, 2006
  2. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    If this isnt drug propagander ive no idea what is?!

"I was a regular hash smoker for many years but I got fed up of not being able to get it and decided to knock it on the head once and for all."
    ^^ that seems a pretty unrealistic statement

Im getting tired of this...

3. podge

podge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    this does sound fairly unrealistic alright. why would true cannabis smokers choose soapbar hash over bags of grass just because its slightly more expensive? doesnt sound at all realistic to swim.fantasian is right.....just more drug propaganda it seems.

4. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    In Dundalk it sounds realistic. Most misinformed muckshites out there don't even realise the difference between soapbar and proper hash, it's no wonder the cheap buffoons don't splash out the extra few euros for weed. That's exactly the kind of attitude that leads me to believe that the whole notion of Ireland's cannabis scene "improving" was just a big assumption. It's true though that nationwide the whole scene is very dry. SWIM can still find stuff which isn't particularly great but I'm sure many other less connected people are having real trouble. The true danger has been completely ignored by this article however. With no cannabis around people are turning to heroin (I have seen this for himself) which has recently started to flood the south. This is a big worry. Cork for example, was virtually heroin free for years, now it's everywhere. Substandard or even fake ecstasy seems to be around a lot as well. A friend of SWIM's bought a batch of pills recently that were actually downers dressed up as ecstasy. The whole scenario is worrying.

5. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    I found this article posted on an Irish based non-drug orientated forum where nearly everybody posting was complaining about only being able to get weed or polm.

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Fuck abrad84, that's just depressing. The mind boggles as to how people can be so stupid. Typical Ireland.

7. D.U.M.B

D.U.M.B Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM almosts feel ashamed to be hailing from ireland at the moment. Oh and I have also been stuck in a dry patch for a while. I did manage to get something today at least. What a lucky bugger that I am. When ever shall I get my hands on him!!!!!!!

8. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from ireland
    Didn't The Panel, a popular tv chat show on Irish television take the piss out of that newspaper for a good series?

And as for the drought thing, I am going mental and has even gone through his pockets and grinders for the slightest trace of bud.

9. Tzetze

Tzetze Newbie

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o
    The paper in which that article originated is one of SWIM's weekly reads. It was a front page feature and was very much to SWIM's surprise. The article continued to provide information with regards to a headshop in the "news"paper's target town.

I am thankful to the paper for at least opening his eyes to the existence of the shop! :D

10. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from ireland
    This drought may be coming to an end as I was in a pub last night and someone who he never met before just handed him a joint, witout any probloms. So that has to be a good sign right?

11. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    ^^^

Err...I don't think that really means anything in the bigger picture.

SWIM heard a rumour that someone was gonna bring 25kg of hash into Cork. Guess what kind of hash though? Soapbar. Couldn't care less.

12. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from ireland
    Course it was going to be Soap. What else do we get int this country from someone who hasn't been to Hollandand decided to bring some back for the lads. It's very difficulyt to get the good stuff, at least thats what I have told me.

13. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    I have overheard two strangers at the train station say that there is drought in the Netherlands as well and that's why Ireland is probably dry. The Dutch coffeeshops are on the hunt for decent weed. The heat has deminished the amount of weed from Dutch grow operations. The heat has disappeared only a few weeks ago, so if that really is the case, it will take 2 months from now before this gets better.

14. P3Z

P3Z Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have the feeling that by then the situation will be so poor that many will either give up the smoke or else resort to soapbar. Lets just say thank you for caffeine. Ireland sucks the big one as it's a small island. FULL STOP.

15. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Droughts seem to be annual and based very much towards the end of summer (and sometimes throughout summer). Alfa makes a good point about the Dutch cannabis shortage related to the weather. The hotter the weather, the more diminished the supply gets. SWIM can only hope it picks up soon as he's not in the situation to grow his own currently.

16. VODKA

VODKA Newbie

Reputation Points:
    No cannabis in the UK

Has anyone else noticed how difficult it has been to get any Blow/Weed/Skunk/etc in the UK over the past few weeks?? Have there been major busts or is there just none available?

17. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    swim don't know what your on about swiyou vodka must just be in the wrong places at the wrong time. then again supose it depends on which bit of uk your in as there are many rotes into the country dope follows.

18. dnb warrior

dnb warrior Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    agreed there definately seems to be a shortage around SWIM's area (yorkshire) over the last couple of weeks, there is some around but its getting harder and harder to come by (or so SWIM tells me)

edit: im sure it won't last long though, sit tight and all those hard working dealers will have plenty weed back on the streets in no time!

19. Akewstick

Akewstick Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    HELL yes, I live in the midlands, and has noticed this a lot, anyone have any idea why?

20. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from ireland
    I always thougt that what we get in in Ireland came from Morocco?