Dopesick? What is it

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by hillbilly345, Mar 5, 2012.

1. hillbilly345

hillbilly345 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Is dopesick the same as withdrawal, or a more intense feeling? Are you unable to function in this state?

2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    Its just a slang term for opiate withdrawal, often used specifically for heroin.
    The level a person could function at would presumably depend on the intensity of their withdrawals.

3. trdofbeingtrd

trdofbeingtrd Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    "Dopesick" is the same as going through withdrawals. It's a physical state because of the body needing whatever substance. However, some would consider "dopesick" as withdrawals from specific substances such as heroin or other opiates. It just depends on the local drug culture and or geographical location. One can be "dopesick" on methamphetamines and some even claim from marijuana (considering both can be called "dope" depending on location and group of people).

Depending on what substance someone is having withdrawals from (dopesick) is if someone can function in that state. Someone can function when being dopesick on many different substances even if they are not wanting to. Then again, certain substances such as heroin, oxymorphone, hydromorphone, and other strong opiates can cause a person to function but very limited. It depends on tolerance before stopping and substance in regards to how much a person can function. Also, I have learned through experience and "withdrawal" reports on the site that someone who has been through being dopesick can usually function better than someone new to it, although if it's a strong enough substance and the person was using a HUGE amount it don't matter how many times a person has suffered it.

Another thing about being dopesick or going through withdrawals is what people use if not the substance to get through it that will determine how much they can function. This goes as far as how much a person sleeps because of being dopesick as sleep deprivation surely weighs in on how much one can continue to function decently. When people use natural herbs, vitamins, and over the counter medications (even certain prescription medications) then they are usually able to function better than without anything. Even people going through most substance withdrawals are able to function to a degree, even if this is laying down, throwing up, and going to the toilet frequently. There is a couple substances though that functionality is VERY limited, even more than described above. People who use fentynal, especially the high dosage patches probably (correct me if I am wrong anyone) even more than those addicted to opium, heroin, and poppy seed tea.

4. mctoothless

mctoothless Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    What's hillbilly? Check out my post on your other thread. I posted it for both threads but since it's against the rules to double post I gotta link you to it.

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/178791/page-2

mctoothless added 13 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

LOL, oops @ "What's hillbilly?" That's a typing error. I meant to type "What's up hillbilly?" Haha. Yeah, sorry about that, I'm a newb in these forums, and I can't find an option to edit my post. If there's a way to edit your post, then please, feel free to send me a PM anyone.

Sorry for being so newbish :cry:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. brettjv

brettjv Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Dopesick is just slang for being in withdrawals from opiates. I suppose it may have been co-opted by some other 'drug cultures', just like 'dope' came to be used to mean 'weed', even though it originally ttbomk 'dope' meant opiates LONG before, but traditionally 'dopesick' simply refers to being in a state of opiate withdrawals.

So, it just refers to the common set of conditions that arise when an addict ... runs out. It's not describing a level of severity (just like 'withdrawals' doesn't describe severity), both terms just basically mean... you're needing your shit.

Another oft-used term for this condition is 'hanging out'.

I believe that this term was co-opted by the normie culture from the drug culture and became common parlance to mean 'people being together, but not really doing anything in particular'. But originally 'hanging out' ... meant 'dopesick'.