Culture - DPT and the Temple of True Inner Light

Discussion in 'Tryptamines' started by transit, Jun 22, 2005.

1. transit

transit Newbie

Reputation Points:
    61 y/o
    In Tihkal, Shulgin, in his discussion of DPT, wrote:

There is a rather remarkable religious group known as the Temple of the True Inner Light, in New York City, which has embraced as its
    Eucharist DPT which they refer to as a powerful Angel of the Host. Their communion is confirmed by either the smoking or the drinking of the sacrament, and they have been totally unbothered by any agency of the Federal Government, as far as I know. It is not as if they were unknown. Quite on the contrary, I had on one occasion received a request for information on the drug from a reporter who was writing a story on DPT and its use in the church. I asked him just how he had gotten my name, and he told me that he was given it by someone within the DEA.

Does anybody have experience or knowledge of the temple, in particular about their use of DPT. It would be particularly interesting to know whether they use DPT HCl or DPT freebase, what their method of use is, and their dosages.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2010
  2. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    That is really interesting. I dont know anything about it, but I would assume they use the freebase for smoking and the HCl for taking orally but Im not sure. Kinda like the THCE if you know what im taking about, but they use (SPICE) 2c-i as a sacrament. What will happen when this stuff becomes illegal, if it ever does, which im sure it will.

3. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    I just did a search on google and a few interesting articles popped up but check this one out.

http://www.csp.org/nicholas/A58.html

I read somewhere else that they frown upon use of other drugs, and some dude mentionds a prior trip when he was there and he was booted. Someone also said that one of the entrys from TIHKAL might be from one of the founders of the church, the one that talks about the "heart of Jesus".

4. transit

transit Newbie

Reputation Points:
    61 y/o
    Just looked at Shulgin’s DPT section

There is one entry that mentions Jesus:

(with 250 mg, orally) "I was seeing the Light real strongly. The Light sort of
    looked like bright bursts of Light but also like a kind of Spiritual Tunnel,
    and it seemed at one point, along with that, I saw a Human form, but the Vision
    seemed like I was sort of inside the Being and outside, and the Human was
    inside me and appeared to be outside, but I didn't see the being's face or
    clearly see the various limbs because the Being seemed to be the tunnel of
    Light that I was inside in the Vision, and seemed much larger than me. As King
    Jesus said: St. John 6,56)
    'Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood lives in me and I live in them'."

And a different entry that uses the word heart:

(with many mg, smoked) "I saw this vision of two hearts rotating. They were
    shaped like the usual heart shape (like a valentine). They filled most of my
    vision and were rotating one inside the other. Around the outside of the hearts
    there were sparkling jewels or crystals of light of different colors, maybe
    four rows deep surrounding them all around. This vision was totally clear. When
    I saw this vision, time was very full and long and complete."

One of these reports taking the DPT orally and the other smoking.

Here is an excerpt from the link that raven3davis posted above (thanks). I have boldfaced some parts that seem to answer the question of method:

Droning music plays on an old boom box. Over it, dubbed onto the tape, someone reads scripture. Michael, just 22 or 23, with straight brown hair nearly down to his waist, lights the raspberry leaves he's put in the hookah bowl, I suck the white-smoke sacrament and
    put the mouthpiece down.

I have no idea how high I will get and worry about that. I worry, too, because I am with a stranger and have no idea whether or not this is the right stranger to be getting high with. The whole scene is a little shaky; I'm in a New York City
    tenement, sitting on the floor beneath a loft bed, smoking a bowl of raspberry leaves which are covered in a psychotropic
    substance I've never heard of, listening to religious scripture with an avowed apostle of the Lord, one who has explained to me that I am a sinner for not accepting Jesus as my saviour, and the white smoke as Jesus. It's not the most conducive setting in which to
    experiment with the stability of my mind. Still, here I am, holding onto that smoke until I know nothing will escape when I open my mouth and gulp a fresh lungful of air.

The high is instant and hard. No warning, no intimation, just swallow and peak. Suddenly, my worries disappear and I'm warm and sitting in West Virginia and it is 1971 . . .

Any more info on this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  5. Dimitri

Dimitri Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Really strange community in my opinion.

Here is theire website: http://members.tripod.com/~psychede

not really the most beatiful website I saw but at least they say what they like (to ingest).

I don't get it...Jesus and Sinners and all that stuff...really weird...
    The things psychedelics told me - I would need to throw them away if I
    would like to join! The openess to ALL people and beeings, the fact that words like
    "Sinner" and "Jesus" are just constructs to get power over humans, not
    to free them. Their readings and texts sound like another old and
    restrictory system of beliefs, one like all the others hundreds of religions which exist
    saying "I am right, believe me"

But I was teached, and by DPT as well -
    everybody is right somhow, everybody can be a god. God is not their and
    I am the little sheep. I am permanently a part of it! And every part
    has the whole information already inside. You just need to open
    yourself, not to separate from the world (like this group). Seeing god
    or BEEING God, thats exactly what causes a lot of trouble in this world.

btw. but interesting article

Edited by: Dimitri

6. Eirias

Eirias Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    The Church of True Inner Light has bee around for quite some time-- at
    least 25-30 years. They are based in NYC, and do not have any
    other "temples" or churches anywhere else but there. There are
    rumours that they have connections to high-ranking officials in the
    DEA, which is why some people claim they've never been harassed by any
    feds or other authorities. However, I think it's also likely also
    due to the fact(s) that 1) DPT was virtually unknown on the psychedelic
    market/scene until about 6-7 year ago when it popped up at various RC
    outlets (SWIM first tried it in 1999), and 2) even with it being more
    available and well-known nowadays, it is still very obscure and has not
    caused any emergency room visit "mentions" (like the kind NIDA follows)
    or any markedly adverse health effects, thus it has never gained the
    sort of fame/notoriety that substances like 2C-T-7 and 5-MeO-DIPT did.

If they (the Church of T.I.L.) ever end up in court having to
    defend their practices, ala the Santo Daime folks, it will be
    interesting to see if the courts decide that they are indeed a "bona
    fide" religion or not-- which is a key definitive factor in how the
    court views the particular faith and any of its 'sacraments'.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2010
  7. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    A friend of mine went there to check it (and the DPT) out. He reported back that they played all this hokey quasi-Christian speeches mixed with music while he was trying to get a handle on the DPT he was given to smoke. He said the guy in charge was an utter flake who sounded like he'd escaped from Bellevue. He went on to say the DPT was okay, but these clowns nearly ruined his experience. His advice: Smoke the DPT and head for the door!

8. Dimitri

Dimitri Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    [​IMG] aahh...cool story.

I wonder if they also smoke the HCL. Maybe it's nice to get some tips
    from them, since my DPT HCL leaves a black ugly looking wax in the
    bulb. Maybe I should lower or raise the temp?

They should also have a
    nice price, since they might buy it in really large amounts of that
    stuff. On the website they claim also to use other entheogenics.

9. Eirias

Eirias Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    It's possible that they were trying to "imprint" the
    Christian experience onto the DPT, like Leary would do with Tibetan
    Buddhism and the Hare Krishnas do with chanting. Leary and
    R.A.Wilson have several good writings on the topic. Also Stan
    Grof.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2007
  10. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Yeah? Well I knew a bunch of psychos who would give vulnerable teenage kids acid and try to "imprint" them with the belief that every thought one had was being beamed into their skulls by microwave transmitters from the CIA through the implants dentists put in your teeth! oooEEEooo...

I locked myself in their bathroom and Ooooooommmm'd all night. It was a tile bathroom. Had very nice acoustics. It drowned out their poundings at the door quite nicely.

11. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Fucking hell. How did the following weeks go?

12. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Having found out what these whackos were up to, I took off. At the time I was working with both MDMA and MMDA with a few tight people in my circle. We managed to lure some of this "cults" victims out in the country and offered them some of the M drugs. With one exception, they left the nuts and scattered to the hills to persue their lives. The whacko leader of this bunch denounced me as being a government agent.

I hear they are still nuts as all get out, and this was back in the late 1970's.

13. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    who, praytell, was this bunch? love your stories, mate.

14. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    So you want the full story of these wing~nuts do you? Okay. I'll take my time and write it up. It's truly hideous and hilarious in a black-humor sort of way. I'm rather busy for the next few, but wait and you'll howl soon! Heheheheh!!

15. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    At the request of Nanobrain, this is the disturbing true story of how some very ill people have misused powerful psychedelics. Why they did is unknown, and I suggest approaching such questionsfor what they are: A Bottomless Pit.

I was first introduced to these people in the early months of 1978. I was teaching high school chemistry, as well as being a student, at a private high school in a suburb of Boston, Massachusetts. I was mostly living in the research libraries of Harvard and M.I.T. and doing grad school level organic chemical synthesis. This high school, now closed, was more of a liberal arts college for advanced students that did not fit into the regular schools. A new student, I'll call him Tim, had appeared. He was just plain spooky. One day he approached me in my lab and asked me if I'd heard about a chemical called paraquat. I had. It was being used by the US government to kill marijuana fields in Mexico. Or so went the official story.

Tim asked if I could test some samples of marijuana for paraquat. Though I could not find any specific test for this, I agreed to see what I could do. So Tim brought me a bunch of samples. I devised a simple test using paper chromatography using a control of homegrown pot. It showed two bands of color under longwave UV light. Red and blue - which were chlorophyll. But on many samples from not only Mexico, but Colombia and Jamaica as well, there was a fluorescent band of white above the chlorophyll. Obviously a lighter molecule, and plainly it should not be there. I brought the samples and test equipment to Harvard and approached Dr. George Wald - a Nobel Laureate in biochemistry. He verified the results and we approached the city council of Cambridge, Massachusetts. Risking freedom, the results were shown to the entire council. And they voted 12-0 to have private people bring in samples of pot to the Cambridge City Hospital to test, and try to determine what this white band actually was. The Federal government stepped in and threatened to arrest the entire city council, and anyone else who touched any pot. So it went. But that's another story. And this is when I was introduced to spooky Tim's group.

There leader was a guy named Doc Humes. He was usually in jail for assault. But he had convinced a group of young people, mostly, that he was a victim of mind-control experiments conducted by the CIA under Project MK-ULTRA. MK-ULTRA was a real project that began in the 1950's and, according to the Freedom Of Information Act, ended in 1972 And MK-ULTRA did dose unsuspecting people with LSD, among other things. But Doc Humes had taken this a few leaps further. He claimed that the government was using microwave beams to place thoughts in people's heads. And that dentists were in collusion by placing recievers in people's mouthes in dental implants. Spare me - I know this is way out there! So how in the heck did he manage to dupe these poor young people into believing what was obviously the rantings of a paranoid schizophrenic? Well...

One night I was invited into the lair of the nuts, who offered me some LSD. I was, and remain, a hard-head with such. Luckily. So I took their LSD (it was quite powerful - Berkeley liquid) and they all sat down to wait. Then, when it was going on an hour or so, they began their indoctrination. They explained that all the thoughts in my head were not my own, but were being beamed into my skull with the government microwave guns! Oh Brother! One would start a sentence and another finish it. It was a very well choreographed routine. And yours truly headed for their bathroom. I locked the door and began Ooooooooming. It was a tile bath, and the acoustics were great with the Ooooms and the acid! And they pounded at the door all damn night! So this was how they managed to take a typical confused adolescent kid and turn him into a Spooky Tim, thought I. I waited for dawn and made my way out of there. As far as I was concerned, MK-ULTRA had nothing on these whackos!

Doc Humes, or as my squad called him, Doc Fumes, around this same time threw his pregnant wife down two flights of stairs. Of course it wasn't his fault - the microwaves told him to! He had a long track record of assault, as I said, and spent considerable time in jail awaiting various court dates. And the wife-tossing got him out of the picture for awhile. And I was working with MDMA and MMDA - in the beginning of the trials of these materials (though MDMA was the one that gained popularity as MMDA was already illegal) as a psychotherapeutic. I saw an opportunity to see what it could do for kids who were teetering on the brink of ending up in mental institutions tripped out on LSD thinking they were being controlled by microwaves. So...

One by one, we invited - Mike and I - these young folks out to a house in the country we were using. Though in each case it was individualized to address these folks greatest inner fears and demons, the results were amazing in almost all. Demon-Taming 101. With one glaring exception, they all ran like they were on fire from Doc Fumes and his insanity. The major exception was his closest friend and ally - aside from his wife he used as a punching bag - who decided he was stuck in his mother's birth canal and awaited the forceps to pull him out! Help! We abandoned that one. All in all, we learned a great deal about what MDMA was capable of doing for people, and spread the word quietly. We also spread the word to steer clear of Mr. Fumes and his invitations to party on LSD at his place. Not so quietly.

I won't go into the use of MDMA as a therapeutic tool further here. I believe this subject is well covered and written. Suffice to say, though, this was one of the first times it was used for this sort of thing: Pulling people back from the proverbial abyss. As regards Mr. Fumes, he denounced me and my people as being government agents. And his cult was reduced to only those who had already gone over the edge some years back. I don't think even MDMA is capable of affecting a cure for paranoid schizophrenia. But it could prevent it from being conditioned into vulnerable young folks. I hope who ever was selling Mr. Doc Fumes his acid got run over by a bus.

Mr. Doc Fumes died a few years ago. Probably stuck his head in a microwave oven. His wife had the kid, and he's totally messed up, as you might imagine. I only recently recalled all this due to a friend of mine giving me a call. He had rented an apartment from a woman who was totally nuts. She wouldn't let him use wireless computers in his apartment. Due to the microwaves. As he described her, I thought: "No! It can't be!" It was Doc Fumes' former wife.Edited by: nagognog2

1. 3/5,
      Nag I really appreciate this post, however you do incrimnate yourself... A lot.So I'm giving only one point, and then maybe you can edit the post.
      Oct 15, 2007
  16. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    ^thank you nagognog2, that was a great tale.

sure beats Playstaion, ay kids?

17. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Strong will power you have, Nagognog2 to block out these predators.

18. Hyperreal

Hyperreal Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I'm wouldn't be so sure about that.While it is true that their choice of DPT as their main 'sacrament' wouldkeep them relatively safe from the law, they also revere other psychedelic drugs, including the illegal ones. On their webite, they mention "DPT, marijuana, LSD, peyote, psilocybin, DMT etc." as the 'Flesh of God'

19. Euphoric

Euphoric Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    A fascinating article on the Temple of True Inner Light:

http://www.entheology.org/edoto/anmviewer.asp?a=123&z=4

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2017
  20. squeezix

squeezix Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I want to open this thread again. Swim visited the church and they shared sacrament with him on at least a half-dozen occasions in the mid 80's. The lab was in the same room they smoked in. The high, much like mushrooms without a peak and without the giddiness. They were weird. The guy was a black guy with dreads. Hella nice guy, but he would really start bugging out, crackhead-style, all fidgety once he smoked. Kinda killled the buzz. My a fairly spiritual guy and respect their quest to find God, so their quoting of scripture did not bother him, the hosts weirdness did though.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2010