Dragons Blood (Red Rock)

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by BEEKSc1, Feb 10, 2007.

1. BEEKSc1

BEEKSc1 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Dragons Blood (Red Rock) is a bright red resin that is obtained from different species of four distinct plants genera Croton, Dracaena, Daemonorops, and Pterocarpus. The red resin was used in ancient times as varnish, medicine, incense, and dye. It continues to be employed for the aforementioned purposes by some, down to the present time.

My bought some street Opium. Swim gave O to Swim's friends' dad. His dad tried the resin-tar, and said it wasn't the same as the Opium as back in the day. Swim smoked some of the referenced resin-tar, and got very noticable and psychoactive effects. Very similar to Morph and OxyCodone; but a lot less intente; same nature tho. And I have heard others report similar mildy effects as pertaining to dragons blood. So swim ordered some Dragons Blood resin to find out.

Some interesting info about the active component in the resin:

Modulation of dragon’s blood on tetrodotoxin-resistant sodium currents in dorsal root ganglion neurons and identification of its material basis for efficacy

Abstract To clarify the modulation of dragon’s blood on the tetrodotoxin-resistant (TTX-R) sodium currents in dorsal root ganglion (DRG) neurons and explore its corresponding material basis for the efficacy, using whole-cell patch clamp technique, the effects of dragon’s blood and the combined effects of three components (cochinchinenin A, cochinchinenin B, and loureirin B) extracted from dragon’s blood on the TTX-R sodium currents in acute-isolated DRG neurons of rats were observed. According to the operational definition of material basis for the efficacy of TCM established, the material basis of the modulation on the TTX-R sodium currents in DRG neurons of dragon’s blood was judged from the experimental results. The drug interaction equation of Greco et al. was used to assess the interaction of the three components extracted from dragon’s blood. This investigation demonstrated that dragon’s blood suppressed the peak TTX-R sodium currents in a dose-dependent way and affected the activations of TTX-R sodium currents. The effects of the combination of cochinchinenin A, cochinchinenin B, and loureirin B were in good agreement with those of dragon’s blood. Although the three components used alone could modulate TTX-R sodium currents, the concentrations of the three components used alone were respectively higher than those used in combination when the inhibition rates on the TTX-R sodium currents of them used alone and in combination were the same. The combined effects of the three components were synergistic. These results suggested that the interference with pain messages caused by the modulation of dragon’s blood on TTX-R sodium currents in DRG neurons may explain some of the analgesic effect of dragon’s blood and the corresponding material basis for the efficacy is the combination of cochinchinenin A, cochinchinenin B, and loureirin B.
    Department of Biological & Medical Engineering, South-Central University for Nationalities, Wuhan, 430074, China

Anyone have any experiences or perspectives to shared related to Dragons Blood?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    It is a form of cochineal-stain. It might cause a reaction in cells previously, or post, treated with tetradotoxin? That might come in handy if you are kidnapped by practitioners of Voodoo in Haiti. Other than this, I don't see your point.

You then go on to talk about 'O' which appears to be opium. How in the heck do you tie opium in with components of cochineal-stain?

Your query makes zero sense.

3. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I agree with Nag, your post is a bit confusing Beek. I'll try to scrounge up some info on Dragon's Blood but in the meantime please clarify exactly what you are looking for and what you meant in the earlier part of your post. Thanks.

4. Orchid_Suspiria

Orchid_Suspiria Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o
    I think he was simply asking if anyone has experienced this substance and if it does infact have some mind altering properties or is this just imagined?Thats my take on the post.

5. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've seen unscrupulous dealers trying to pass off this palm tree resin as opium, even more people who believed them. I can't for the life of me recommend smoking the stuff, I burn it for incense all the time and the deposits it leaves on anything left above it is rather thick, the thought of that crud in lungs, too much for me to handle.

So yeah, kid got scammed and got a hell of a placebo effect, probably the result of suffocation.

Love.
    Potter.

6. Thirdedge

Thirdedge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I found Dragons blood incense to taste terrible, anoying his throat more far more than any herbal matter he has tried. No psychoactive effects were noticed whatsover . I tried again in combination with Cannabis and noticed no synergy or alteration to the normal effects of Cannabis.

7. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I think its more likely that the person obtained a different form of opium (different level of purity, difference in appearance, etc.) and got those effects than the person getting Dragons Blood sold as opium and imagining effects due to placebo.

There isn't too much info on use of Dragons Blood really. Some people say its a mixture of several plants from the Croton species while others refer to it as a specific one (such as lechleri). Who knows what you are getting when you order it, and of what quality it will be. I'd simply be careful while experimenting with it, and try to keep expectations low to avoid placebo. Combinations could maybe be fruitful, but given the current information available it doesn't really seem to be worth trying.

I'll try to scrounge up some information on this stuff, but I don't know what I can really find of use besides maybe some anecdotal evidence if I'm lucky.

Beek, if You does get the order please let us know what happens if he ends up trying it. Thanks.

8. BEEKSc1

BEEKSc1 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thats what I thought the scenario was: different potency. Because when Swim smoked the opium; it was nothing similar to how Potter described it (thick, crud on lungs). It was smoother than the mid grade cannabis that swims smokes; and very sweet. I should be getting it soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2007
  9. emoduckie

emoduckie Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM just smoked some rolled with tobacco in a cigarette, aside from the terrible runs on it, it's smooth and the taste is pleasant. It seems to leave a heavy feeling in the lungs, probably due to a high tar content, because after all, it IS tar. No psychological effects were noted. Incense is pretty much all its good for, but SWIM might try putting some on weed for the taste, and maybe it will increase the value of the weed if sold, although that may be considered dishonest.