dramatic change in effects forcing to quit

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by mp, Jul 26, 2006.

1. mp

mp Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I knew a guy that told me that he used to smoke marijuana daily for many years. Although he enjoyed it very much, he went on to tell me that after some time, he quit. His abstinance so he says, was about 5 years. He mentioned that when he tried to start up again, he had massive panic attacks.

He explained to me that there was no positive affect, only terrible fear that was the worst thing he ever experienced. He even mentioned that he tried some marijuana from different sources and at different doses for the next couple of months yet he had terrible reactions every single time. So given that, he told me that he decided to quit (this was a couple of years ago) and he hasn't gone back since.

I wonder what changed with him to make him react in such a way to something that he previously enjoyed so much. Any ideas?

2. Herbal Remedy

Herbal Remedy Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My guess would be that it has to do with tolerance. Imagine smoking everyday and building up a tolerance over years, and then takeing some time off and losing the tolerance. The next time that person smokes, they are gonna expect the same buzz and go about it the same way, but a hit or two later they find themselves in the middle of a bad trip. I find that, with no tolerance, he can have a pretty intense- psychadelic experience form herb. When I took a break, he really had to ease his way back into getting high, the first few times were really intense, sometimes almost too intense. Of course with a lil time, some tolerance can be built up and that comfortable high should stick around...

3. mp

mp Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yes herbal, I've heard the same thing. I offered that as an explanation to the person in question. They told me however that initial use of the substance (i.e. the very beginning with no prior experience) did not yield the sort of negative experience that was gained after quitting and then returning.

It has been suggested that this is not a unique experience, in that many who quit for long periods of time may never be able to go back.

Odd isn't it?

4. Solidly-here

Solidly-here Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Well, be thankful that Pot worked so well for a long time.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

I have heard this story more than once. For whatever reason, your body is NOT happy with Pot (at least right now). The Good News is: There are a lot of other fun goodies to try. Good luck. Then try back in a year or so.

5. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I agree with this. He has experienced it himself, and has seen friends experience it. He personally enjoys getting really fucked up off of weed that would just get him decently blazed because he took a long break, but then again he also likes some hardcore psychedelics.

I feel its not just the overpowering effects by themself, but also the attitude towards the drug. People just starting out often get extremely baked when they are smoked out by stoner friends. I have seen some people have very adverse reactions to smoking large quantities of premium bud because they have no experience. Still, the novelty of the drug makes them come back. After a person has laid off the drug for a long period of time and comes back to find negative effects they aren't as likely to stick around and tough it out as the wonderful feeling of trying something new and unexplored isn't there so why bother.

Thats just swim's thoughts on the matter though.