Storing - Dried Liberty Cap Mushrooms Around 8 Years Old - Still Good?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by jozxyqk, Feb 20, 2007.

1. jozxyqk

jozxyqk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    OK, I have a friend who has just recently moved house. During his packing/unpacking he discovered a long forgotten bag. In this bag was a quantity of Liberty cap's which must be at least 8 years old... maybe more but I'm guessing probably not less! I have no idea whether these things have a shelf life do to speak.

They were dried out at the time of picking very carefully and wrapped in paper for safe keeping... as far as he can tell after looking them over they look no different now to what they did when he packed them. I mean they were really dry. There are no signs of mold on any of the ones he's checked.

So, question is, would these still be OK to have a go at or is there a chance something has happened to them over that time to make you think he should just bin them?

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Re: Dried Liberty cap mushrooms about 8 years old... would they still be OK?

They will probably be OK, but the the potency has decreased a lot. There is only one way to find out how much.

3. chAos

chAos Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from belgium

I think they won't work anymore, but i'm not sure. But as alfa said, they are probably ok to eat.
    Swim once had an unknown amount of various mushrooms which were dried, then grinded and put into capsules. Then they were hold for about 6 months, when swim ate them he had very little effect. But maybe there weren't many mushrooms in there or the grinding and putting it in capsules had something to do with the decreased potency.
    So when your friends finds out if they still have the magic, let us know :).

4. jozxyqk

jozxyqk Newbie

Reputation Points:

Thanks for the replies:) He was worried they might make him ill or have a bad effect but since the only risk is a wait for nothing I'm guessing he might have a go at these. I shall certainly let you know what he says... will be interesting to find out anyway;)

5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

Dried black Chinese mushrooms, and various others, are a staple of Oriental cooking. They last for years and years in a glass jar and remain delicious! Think I'll make a batch of spring-rolls come to think....

6. jesuswantsmeforasunbeam

jesuswantsmeforasunbeam Newbie

Reputation Points:

looking forward to hearing the outcome of this, a number of rangoon and b+ mushrooms have recently made themselves known and are in a similar state of being- though not quite as old as that, more like 12-18 months.
    he should just go ahead try them for the sake of helping others ;)