Drug info - Dried Mushrooms Changing Color: Are They Still Good?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by blotter, Jan 14, 2005.

1. blotter

blotter Newbie

Reputation Points:
    hey, I´ve had these drycubensis shrooms for a little over a month now, and the stems are turning dark. they are going from dark gray to a dark navy blue (the stems are) is this bad, should I toss them, or can I still take them? was planning on taking them today.

2. Dualpower

Dualpower Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    This is completely normal.

Mushrooms turn blue when some of their components react with oxygen.

If you start to see mold growing (if they weren't dried properly) it's time to throw them out. But you should be fine! [​IMG]

Trip Safe!

-Dual

3. cyberfunk

cyberfunk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Lets say i had a zip-lock bag with mushrooms in it and it was in the back of my closet for about 3 months and now when i look at it it has this blue color on some of it. Is this normal or has it gone bad?

4. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    The blueing is the active substance oxidating. This happens when the are bruized or under wet and warm conditions. It means that they where strong, but have probably degraded in strength. Check if they are moist. If so that's not good.

5. cyberfunk

cyberfunk Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well the caps seem to be really dry but some of the stems are a little soft. Should i toss the soft stuff and eat the really dry stuff or get rid of it all together?

6. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    sounds like shroom tea time to me. The best way to dispose them is by dipping them in stomache acid IMHO. LOL.