Drinking [Cannabis] question...

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by powderhead55, Jan 5, 2006.

1. powderhead55

powderhead55 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i've read some different methods of making a drinkable form of marijuana and cant understand why when you cook it it has to be heated but most recipes for the drinkable form dont mention heating it? and if u got a good drink recipe post it

2. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Everyone seems to think that THC has to be heated to be active. I posted a topic about this along time ago and people agreed that this is not true. Alcohol will extract the THC just fine, but when using butter, heating does help in the extraction.

If you want to extract the THC out of pot with alcohol, get some strong stuff (+180 proof). Some people have used weaker liquors and they appear to work. Just let the bud sit in the liquor for a week or two and try it out. Enjoy! Also remember, it will take more pot to get you high because the THC is absorbed slowly in the stomach, unlike when smoked. It takes about 3 times more but the high lasts quite a bit longer, and it can be very intense.

3. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM's never done it using alcohol before, how much alcohol to how much weed for just a couple highs. Taking in mind your only looking to get stoned, not drunk. I guess it depends on the proof of alcohol your using. I also just realized i could just search for THC soluability in alcohol to answer my question, so ill find it and post it here,lol.

So far i can only find its soluability in water, which is-2.8mg/L (at 23 degrees celcius) Oddly enough ive found 2 sites that say 2.8g/L and 1 with 2.8mg/L, im goin with the second otherwise you COULD use water, which obviously you cant.

Apparantly there are no sites that i could find that had the actual solubility of THC in Ethanol, just that it was very high. I assume it wouldnt take more than like 1 or 2 shots for a dose (2.5-3g) to be more than fully absorbed.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  4. dr.octagon

dr.octagon Newbie

Reputation Points:
    ThC is alcohol soluble, so i guess that means if you fill your bong up with alcohol instead you could drink it after you smoked and get high? not sure though

5. sands of time

Reputation Points:
    Why would you do this? The whole point of extracting the THC is so you don't have to smoke it. By putting alcohol in the bong, your getting less THC by smoking, and consuming all the junk which is usually filtered by the water when you drink the alcohol. Why not smoke the weed in a bong normally and have a drink after?

6. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    What you are doing is making a tincture. Works best if you use two ounces of your favorite herb(dried) per pint of alcohol. Allow to stand for a week , shaking occasionally, then strain. Store in a dropper bottle and adjust your dosage by the drops.

7. sands of time

Reputation Points:
    Is there anything you can do to prevent the growth of mold? Perhaps the alcohol would prevent this.

8. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Im pretty sure mold growth needs oxygen, so sealing the container in which u have ur tincture can help greatly to prevent its growth. Mold needs oxygen, moisture, and something biodegradable to feed on. Alcohol is biodegradable so it could technically feed the mold. but if your plant material is completely submerged in the alcohol then i would say its pretty safe. the only opportunity for mold ot grow would be the surface of the alcohol which is highly unlikely.

9. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    If what you keep it in is 100% airtight, there should be no mold at all. Works for SWIM.

10. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    There is always a little bit of oxygen in the container unless u create a vacuum or replace it with another oxygen absorbing gas. but yes most likely even if its just a sealed container w/o these precautions u will be ok. i was just being technical i guess and imagining the perfect situation.

11. old hippie 56

Reputation Points:
    I think that what the shaking is for, and fully submerge the herb in the alcohol should take care of the mold. Plus in all the years I been making tinctures, never had no mold. Plus if you use a dark color bottle, and keep it out of direct sunlight mold shouldn't be problem.

12. Sky Walker

Sky Walker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    CorrectO ole hippieO as long as the plant matter is submerged there will be no mould.

13. armatitumor

armatitumor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Can someone give an approximate dosage in drops or mL or whatever works for you using low-potency and high-potency weed? I have no idea.

14. carousel

carousel Newbie

Reputation Points:
    don't do this before work.

15. rideburton56

rideburton56 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    if you used the same alcohol in a bong repeatedly, say change it every time you went through an eighth or so, and took good care of the alch whenever you wernt smoking it, say straining it and sealing it up after smoking... then you could make a pretty mean alc/pot tincture from all the smoke passing through the liquid....... lots of work and kind of pointless, not to mention disgusting tasting, but i think it would make for an interesting experiment.

16. DoorsPerception

DoorsPerception Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM once used everclear cut w/ malibu,....the idea behind this is that once you have the tinture you also have some nice cocnut flavored bud and it can still get you high or you can mix w/ some good bud to increase volume. And there is no problem with mold as alcohole is a poison!

17. old hippie 56

Reputation Points:
    I would try one drop first, wait thirty minutes or so, then try two. Go from there, in my experience, combined with the alcohol it should be stronger.