Drinking milk to deal with poisoning?

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by Daeron, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Daeron

Daeron Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    i didnt know where to ask this but hey...

i got into a bit of a lab accident a few days ago and was forced to go on a complete checkup, and the fucking doc told me that i should drink milk.
    now wtf is with milk and poisoning? its gonna help? hardly

ive been so far poisoned by(dont ask, safe job,eh?) NH3,h2s,Br2,HCN(the latter being serious with blood vomiting) and every time they told me to drink milk?

wtf is with that, cos i know it doesnt help, and i know i have steady amount of blood poisons in the body for the last 5yrs or so

2. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Didn't Albert Hoffman himself drink milk as a general antidote for poisoning when he originally under-estimated a dose of LSD in 1943? I guess it works to a degree although I have no idea about the actual chemistry behind it.

3. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    It works for the headaches caused by welding galvanized steel. Always wondered how it works too.

4. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    The antidote for Hydrogencyanic acid is either Sodium Nitrite or Sodium thiosulfate.(ref: Merck) My best guess is that it has to do with milk being an alkali: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antacid

Check this: http://members.tripod.com/murli_dhar/manual2.html

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  5. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Interesting stuff. SWIM often hears the old saying that a pint of milk before heavy drinking helps line the stomach. I imagine this may now be true to an extent.

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Well the calcium might bind to certain toxins forming calcium salts - which tend to be less soluble in H2O, but I can't figure out the full logic. Ask the doctor.

Another antidote for cyanide poisoning is huffing large amounts of amyl nitrite. Cyanide works as a poison by bonding with hemoglobin more efficiently than oxygen, forming cyanoglobin - which contains no oxygen and you die. Amyl nitrite bonds even better than the cyanide, forming methoxymeglobin - which will supply O2. And you live. And it gives a you one frick of a rush as well.

1. 4/5,
      Useful info as always.
      Jun 19, 2006
  7. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Finally, a good use for poppers. I will keep it in mind if some bastard ever plops some cyanide in his coffee.

8. Daeron

Daeron Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from gaza_strip
    i was fed with amyl nitrite and NaNO2, but the guy who caused it had to get a neddle in the heart. heh i just puked blood...dont get the point of milk being an alkali since for CN poisoning you need some that will bond with hemoglobin, altho i think it has pH of ~6.5 so it isnt alkali...uh...hmm..al-khali,lol...

Nag in all cases of my lucky strikes the inhaled amounts werent that large, since they dont need to be, so even if there are salts with Ca they will be dissolved since the amounts are miniscule. i really cant figure it out at all, is it just a placebo thing?

9. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    May I enquire what your lab-tech did? I've read of idiots pouring 30% H2O2 into hot formamide for fun(!) and the resulting gas-attack. How did Beppo-the-Tech create such a mess?