Drinking water and Xtasy BAD

Discussion in 'Ecstasy & MDMA' started by Jetset, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Jetset

Jetset Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I read this and I think all should read this.

Drinking too much water after taking Ecstasy (Ecstacy, Exctasy, MDMA) can be lethal according to "New Science, Nov 2000". After people have taken Ecstasy (Ecstacy, Exctasy, MDMA), their blood contains unusually high concentrations of vasopressin. As levels of this hormone increase, the body retains more water diluting the sodium and other salts in the blood. This can swell the brain causing damage to the brain and nerve tissue

It would be fine to drink alot if your dancing or doing other things to sweat alot, butjust because you take E does not mean you have to drink alot of water
    <SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble();</SCRIPT>

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Reputation Points:
    Wow, i think i learned that in health class too. Scary

3. Insane Asian

Insane Asian Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    thats old but good, most people dont know you can over hydrate during X usage

4. Jetset

Jetset Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Your right it's old, but I didn't see where anyone else has said this in here, I did read where some reccommended drinking alot of water if they were going to do X though. Just figured some may not know and know why they need to drink if they need to drink more than normal.
    <SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble();</SCRIPT>

5. filbfilb

filbfilb Newbie

Reputation Points:
    What a load of rubbish accoriding to the NHS:

"the main risks in this context are dehydration or heat stroke as taking ecstacy and dancing for long periods especially in hot places can lead to body temperature rising dangerously. This is why users are advised to drink plenty of water (about a pint an hour sipping at regular intervals) and also to replace the bodys minerals by eating or drinking something with sodium content such as salty snacks, fruit or fizzy drinks. Water and sodium are advised to counteract dehydration caused by over exertion and ecstacy use no as an anitdote!"

Hope that puts the mind at ease, but it must be warned that there was a case in the uk where a girl died by intoxicating herself with too much water drink the advised amount - no more!

6. bowlingforcindy

bowlingforcindy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yes, one person had like 20 glass's of water in a hour and that fucked them up, i think they died, but i know it does take quite a bit of water to fuck u up, no more than one a bottle an hour is all i need to sip on, ppl just say 1 to stay on the safe side, which is what i stick to when it comes to drugs.

7. Kemikaru_Tenshu

Kemikaru_Tenshu Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o
    Woman are more prone to hyponatremia then men, and the amount of water necessary to bring it about is dependant on quite a few things.

The important thing to remember is that you do need water when you're rollin', but don't tweak out on it. I've seen this quite a few times: some kid is repeating the same old "you've got to keep hydrated" phrases you hear all the time, while he chugs down his bottle of water, fills it up again from the sink, chugs that one, all the while checking out his saucer sized pupils in the mirrror. Don't obsess over it, just make sure you're getting 2 20 oz bottles an hour while your on. Sip these, don't chug them. They do more good that way.

It just goes to show, too much of anything is never good.

~KT

8. mycoguy

mycoguy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o
    water intoxication. I hear that some people in Florida had caught onto this, and ended up extremely sick.

9. WILLmonKingCRON

WILLmonKingCRON Newbie

Reputation Points:
    theres a rule to the average sized person while rolling u should drink around 1/2 a litre every hour, u can over or underhydrate on extacy, under hydrating is usually a lot more devistating resulting in brain damage and kidney, heart and other organ failures but if u are in a rave or dance type atmosphere and are using up your bodys fluids(usually sweating is a sign) then u should drink atleast 1 litre every hour and a half

10. matti_2003

matti_2003 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Leah betts died in 1995 after taking 1 pill and then drinking too much water. She believed that water was an antidote to MDMA and drank loads which thinned her blood, swelled her brain and put her in a coma that she died from.

I have seen lots of things in the press about this case and most of them just say that say that she died from taking 1 pill and done mention that the pill was not contaminated in any way and that it was her drinking too much water that caused her death

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2007
  11. Tony Blair

Tony Blair Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The Leah Betts unfortunate truth, as pointed out above, has been repeated many a time.

i.e. Its water (or a plethora of other drugs) that kills people, but E gets blamed.

12. billyloner

billyloner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    how many people has e actually killed? as opposed to dehydration or overhydration. i know its not many, just wondered if anyone had any numbers...

13. whatwhybecause

whatwhybecause Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yeah i read recently on utopian pharmacology on the net that there's about four or five recorded deaths from hyponetremia every year. the figures aren't very high but that isn't to say there are more, as there are many different complications involved when diagnosing cause of death via a drug related incident.

it's probably better to drink isotonic or hypertonic drinks like lucozade hydroactive or something similiar. also, red bull is a good one as these all replace the sugars that are lost through thining of the blood. most places sell drinks like these basically for this purpose and you can always get tap water wherever, so worrying about hyponetremia shouldn't be such a big issue.

try and avoid continuation of alcohol intake once you're rolling as this can exacerbate the situation in some people and cause further thining to occur. also the combination of alcohol and ecstasy furthers the risk of rising blood pressure, although this isn't a massive concern so long as you take regular breaks from dancing etc.

there really isn't any need for anybody to be overly concerned; i danced in a club for six years for a living under the influence of jack n jills for fourteen hours a night, four days a week more or less; if i can get away with no massive fluctuations in body temperature and blood clotting then i'm sure the average clubber isn't going to find things all that problematic, although everybody is obviously different.

14. tweakerfrommars

tweakerfrommars Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The bottom line is that every ecstacy user should know every possibility involved with effects of the drug and unfortunately, so many people don't. It's so easy to just spend five minutes reading a couple paragraphs on the risks that it's stupid and ignorant not to.

And I would personally say that overhydration is more dangerous than dehydration, provided that the user is smart enough to know you need to drink lots of water. Even severe dehydration doesn't always prove to be fatal, while severe overhydration almost always does...with dehydration, the patient can be given a steady supply of fluids and nutrients to revitalize the body, while severe overhydration can cause massive swelling of the brain, and there is no way to just drain that much excess water out in time to save the person.

15. Alquimista

Alquimista Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I once drank too much water. Was scared to sweat so much and I knew that you HAVE to drink much water while on a roll. But I drank too much and puked luckily. Drinking too much water CAN kill you - not literally but truly kill you. I have a really doctor who has explained many myths to me and also this one.

16. PoleDancer

PoleDancer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    WhenIm on E'sI find thatI do everythign to the extreme... this can be from simple things like putting on lipstick...which I applythen re-apply several times... so I guess this can relate to drinking water too.. Its on peoples mind that they should drink it (as advised by government) and to it to extreme

17. Conkermon

Conkermon Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from The Netherlands
    its important to remember to sip water as opposed to gulping it, i gulped down a few standrad bottles over the space of two hours and my night was messed up then on, i burped up some yorkshire pud i had that day for lunch (rank, i know) and proceeded to feel sickly for the rest of the rave, to the extent that i could no longer dance and had to sit down, then had to leave early as it all became too much.

18. Tony Blair

Tony Blair Newbie

Reputation Points:
    heh.. Without E, I drink prob a pint of water an hour (that mounts up
    over the course of a 8 hour night (which is how long I usually go
    for)), and with E, I prob drink.... a pint of water an hour.

It flushes me through (oh boy do I pee when I get home / come down
    fully!), but I think thats a sensible amount. (Of course I would!
    [​IMG])

19. billyloner

billyloner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    yeah i dont drink all that much more when im on something. i find i need about a pint an hour too, otherwise i start to feel uncomfortably thirsty. so when im clubbing i just do the same. i often have to prevent myself from drinking constantly when im on e cos my mouth is usually so dry. i never have to piss when im high though. only once ive come down a certain amount, then im going every half hour [​IMG]

20. whatwhybecause

whatwhybecause Newbie

Reputation Points:
    for most mdma users, they find that after an hour or so that there's lips dry up, which instantly causes the brain to create saliva and urge you to drink something. if you use lip balm or vaseline or something similar the urge to overdrink reduces and the risks from hyponetremia dissipate dramatically.