driving while stoned vs. while drunk

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by kj_hash420, Aug 5, 2005.

1. kj_hash420

kj_hash420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from Canada
    for me, it is easier to drive while drunk than stoned, when stoned, i usually can't concentrate on the road, because i have a million other thoughts in my head, but while drunk (not completely wasted, but like 4 or 5 beers) i think i can drive just as well as if sober, and tend to make decisons quicker and be less causious, because i am apretty causious driver

it's not like i drink and drive or smoke and drive all the time, but i have done it a couple times, and i don't think i will be getting stoned anymore and driving because i don't really trust myself doing that, but aftera few beers it isn't much of a problem, as long as i don't get wastedtoo bad

what do u think is harder to do, drink and drive, or drive while stoned?

2. transit

transit Newbie

Reputation Points:
    61 y/o
    “During 2003, 17,013 people in the U.S. died in alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes, representing 40% of all traffic-related deaths.”

Odds are that most of those responsible for the deaths thought that they could still drive ok, maybe even better. Drinking impairs thinking.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  3. BrandonAA

BrandonAA Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i disagree i think even a little bit of alcohol can make you somewhat reckless ecspecially behind the wheel. i smoke trees everyday though, and alot of times while i am driving. i actually have come to believe that weed is alot worse for driving than i originally intended, i have had some close calls because i was blazed.

i don't recommend any of the above to anyone. if you hit someone or something you will be responsible. no one wants to go to prison on a manslaughter charge.

4. blindpanda_eric

blindpanda_eric Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Driving is about eye hand cordination, along with other elements.
    Most sports are also about eye hand cordination. If alcohol helps
    you drive, then it helps eye hand cordination? If so, why don't
    athletes take a few shots before games?

The thought that it gives you the ability to drive better is just silly.

5. searcher

searcher Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Driving stoned is easier to drive than driving drunk.

I would go to driver education driving lessons stoned and thats how swim learned to drive.
    Ha, that was 35 years ago.Edited by: searcher

6. skitz0frantic

skitz0frantic Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Driving stoned is way easier then drunk. Some think they can drive after a few beers, but after a few beers you think you can do alot of things! When im stoned and driving, i just tell myself to mission out on this, and all i have to do is get where im going. I do no rolling stops, I wait at least 4 seconds when turning right at a red light [​IMG].

its mind over matter man, and to me, weed extends the mind. booze numbs it.

7. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Driving high, if you haven't smoked that much, actually increases your
    coordination, I believe. But when you smoke a lot it makes it hard. The
    only thing I do when I'm driving high is drive way too slow. I'll think
    I'm speeding but I'll be going 20 in a 35.

8. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:

That's funny man. They did a study here in Canada and found that typically drivers would drive slower and be more cautious when driving high on weed. They also had less moving violations. Some posulated that it has to do with the "paranoia" of getting caught driving high.

9. korky8097

korky8097 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    haha same here, i always drive at least 5 under. I find if i find
    myself in a situation that requires a big quick decision, i start to
    fuck up but i can stop myself. THats only when im pretty
    baked, when im just buzzed i drive fine.

10. AcmeSewageCo

AcmeSewageCo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Personally I can drive under the influence of minute amounts of alochol... Also what I like to call the "tipsy" point... I can not drive while under a heavy influence of alochol... Usually by then I'm far to intoxicated to know up from down... Basically passed out... The entire world is spinning like I'm on a ferris wheel... I'm sure many of you would imagine that feeling...

While stoned... I feel that he has more concentration with minute through medium cannabis smoking... SWIM personally feels like a more "humble" driver... By becoming more mellow... He can control his average road rage against stupid teenagers and the elderly above 70... Only when he reaches the "stoned" point on his smoking spectrum... Will he be unable to drive... Often ignoring basic traffic laws such as stopping on red... Yielding at yellow... And going at green...

The way I see it is... When your smoking cannabis... Why waste your precious THC while driving? I mean... Can't you just chill where you are? Or perhaps take a bus to get where your going? Theres no reason to kill your buzz when your stuck trying to think saying out loud to yourself "green means go... green means go... HAHAHAHA THATS A TOTALLY KICKASS CAT MAN!!!"... I'd just find a ride... Chill where I was... Or take public transportation... Just my opinion... Cheers [​IMG].

11. Solidly-here

Solidly-here Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    When I am High, I have one thought while driving: "Drive Well."

I love to drive while High. It allows me to have a reason to focus my Concentration on just driving. I look ahead, in the rear-view mirror, in other lanes. I practice staying steadily in my lane, not moving around. Driving is a Game, so I can Pay Attention, and Win (get to my destination).

Most of the time I have planned for a place to turn (another lane, the shoulder) JUST in case some idiot cuts me off. This makes driving Fun, and very peaceful. When I am Not High, driving is more of a chore.

Kj_hash's mind, on the other hand, does the Opposite: "when stoned, i usually can't concentrate on the road, because i have a million other thoughts in my head." For people who use Pot to have a Rush of different thoughts (a good thing to do), driving is less safe.

I do NOT drive if I have ANY alcohol in my system (90 minutes of waiting for each drink). It isn't necessarily because I am paranoid about it, but I had a close relative die while blitzed on Beer (3 six-packs over 3 hours), and it just reminds me that if I have a Rule about drinking-and-driving, it will protect me in the long run (Hmm, how much did I drink already?).

12. Shwags

Shwags Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o from U.S.A.
    driving high is soo easy, I feel that I am a safer driver when high. Not a better driver, but safer because I drive alot slower - occasionally i might do something stupid but most of the time i am pretty much a perfect driver when im baked

13. pancho

pancho Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Minnesota, U.S.A.
    for me, my drivng while high has gotten worse but thats because im really lazy n i'd rather just chill. actually its not being high that makes me a bad driver, its passing the bowl n tryin to light it while paying attention to the road which makes me a little unsafe. but still perfect drivng record bitchs

14. amped

amped Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    HAHA Pancho same goes with me... i drive good but sometimes i forget to stop completley at stop signs because their are ALOT of them where i live. usualy 8-10 signs in a mile. but truley the hardest part for me is passing the bowl while driving... i usually have my friend or who ever is driving with me put their hand on to the wheel and i push the gas while i use my hands toblaze... did agagger(.6) while i was driving once too Edited by: amped

15. Sklander

Sklander Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from congo_democratic
    Driving stoned is much easier in my opnion. Driving drunk is just not a good idea at all.

16. FrankenChrist

FrankenChrist Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium
    Stoned: slow reflexes + realising that you're stoned which often makes one drive like an old lady.
    Drunk: slow reflexes + overestimating your capacities

IMHO, driving stoned is the lesser of two evils.

17. Gargalos

Gargalos Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I can no longer recall exactly how many times I have driven whilst
    under the influence of drugs. I find driving while on ecstacy
    hardest, because I take them orally and get the waves and eye wobbles
    happening sometimes. While on speed its fun though, you can convince
    yourself you're in a race car and just strap along at a totally
    irresponsible speed. When I first started driving there was no
    way I could handle myself (at all - let alone while driving :p) Now
    though, whilst I really do try and avoid this kind of situation, I find
    I can drink half a carton smoke like a chimney and whizz like a scooter
    without becoming unglued. I've never crashed into anything, never
    damaged anyone elses property (or mine). I've had PLENTY of close
    moments though. And they've been scary. Hence why I am very reluctant
    to get behind the wheel whilst on drugs. Plus it can become a chore if
    you are going long distances because you have to concentrate for every
    single second, which is hard to do when you have drugs in your system,
    as your body want to mellow out, and your brain keeps on trying to jolt
    it awake... This can lead down some very bad paths psychologically. I
    don't reccommend driving at all whilst on drugs. You need to be relaxed
    when high (under most any kind of high) or you can end up
    schizophrenic. I've seen it happen to some whizz runners. They
    boot up large hits of strong stuff, then drive for a day and half
    straight. They end up with scars from where they have been nervously
    scratching sweaty or cold spots or feel ants crawling under their skin,
    can't relate well to others... Not good at all. So you can all see why
    im reluctant to drive. You'll drive yourself down the wrong path if you
    don't kill yourself in a crash.

18. insanity

insanity Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    driving stoned is alot better if u are a smoker because people tend to usually get so high and top off, not getting higher. if the person in question smokes weed often, they know how to control it. for a drinker, the more they drink the drunker they get. and ANYONE driving drunk is so much more prone to accidents than WEED.

have you seen that commercial with the stoners who hit the girl on the bike coming out of the drive thru, thats hillariuous

19. Chaote

Chaote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Im surprised by the lack of "dont do either there both dumb"s

Whenever im under the influence of any thing while driving which is rarely i try to stay on the back roads and drive slow. Ive never driven drunk before but when im drunk i feel as though i could drive be it very slow i could still drive fine but this probably wishful thinking

20. insanity

insanity Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    driving under the influence is dangerous. please take all caution while drivin.