Netherlands - Dutch Government: Dutch drug policy will end.

Discussion in 'Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics' started by Alfa, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    The Dutch policy of tolerating the sale and use of marijuana and hash in small amounts will not exist anymore in 10 years, so has Health Minister Hans Hoogervorst predicted at a drugs congress in Mexico. He expects that the Dutch drugs policy will become increasingly stricter in order to get in line with the rest of Europe.

In the past eight years the softdrugs policy became much stricter already. The amount of coffeeshops declined with 40% and in 80% of the Dutch municipalities coffeeshops disappeared completely.
    According to Hoogervorst the image of an extreme tolerant softdrugs policy is no longer a correct refection of nowadays reality.

Source: Nederlands Dagblad
    11-01-2007

2. Lunar Loops

Lunar Loops Driftwood Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Not a great surprise unfortunately. Whenever you see a light at the end of the tunnel, you can guarantee it's the headlights of the prohibitionist juggernaut bearing down on you, rather than some ray of hope.

Why a figure of ten years though?

3. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I think I just puked a little bit in my mouth when I read that. It's an unfortunate situation if Holland sells out its independent stance on such issues just to stay in line with the rest of Europe despite the success that has been achieved with their soft drugs policy. However I feel it may not be so simple a downward spiral as some people predict. I find it very hard to believe that someone could get arrested in Holland in a decade's time for a personal amount of cannabis possession. It should be interesting to see how this pans out. Will all the coffeeshops just close overnight in a few years to come or will people see sense and fight this before it happens?

4. Allez

Allez Newbie

Reputation Points:
    That's terrible. Good thing I've already got my plane ticket for this summer.

5. Riconoen {UGC}

Riconoen {UGC} Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Great, another sheep to the flock. hopefully in ten years the liberals in holland will get back in power.

6. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    If the Dutch decide to criminalise cannabis again surely they must harshen the legal status of the far more harmful alcohol. I'd almost campaign to ban it just to spite those liquid-lipped politicians who love the sauce but saw their toes off if they accidentally inhale marijuana smoke.

7. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from ireland
    Nate, trying to ban booze in this country will only cuase up roar! You saw whta happend with the restriction on people driving. The companys tried to have a seperate law concerning those in rural areas who otherwise might not be able to make it to their social houses.

8. BeetleJuice

BeetleJuice Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o
    Hypocracy in action,i agree, if anyone wants to ban mj, then its only commen scence that alcohol AND tabbaco be banned, why coz they both kill Millions worldwide yearly, while MJ does nothing. I say, Legalize it all,or ban it all.
    Its a damn shame really, one of the last havens for tru freedom is being trampled on.

9. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    That will never happen. Our minister of Jussearchtice is enjoying the pleasures of alcohol more than a bit. Just search the net for a pic of Piet hein donner and check out the mans nose. It says more than his own praises about alcohol in his public speeches.

10. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from ireland
    Alfa is right!

Look at this man!

[​IMG]

11. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Ten years is a long time... the pendulum could swing in the other direction by then. Seems to me it depends a lot on both government + the power of the tourism industry (?)... correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, why not keep a positive attitude :). Right now the big thing in Europe seems to be uniting in to a "one Europe" stance, but the notions of national and cultural independence could become more important again in the future.

12. Allez

Allez Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Just had a glance around. There's murmers of criminalising weed in the Dam every once in a while. Probably to please the rest of Europe. Nothings come of it yet.

God I hate people who say "the Dam".

13. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    Well they seem to claim to be in power for the next decade. Note that Holland is using the same voting boxes from the firm which has sponsored Bush his election campaign.

14. Woodman

Woodman A very strange person. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from U.S.A.
    That kind of policy would surely affect tourism and tourist-related businesses in Holland.

...and why the hell do the Dutch want THEIR drug policies to " get in line with the rest of Europe," when "the rest of Europe" has NOT been successful in diminishing the inflow or use of drugs, anyway?

I don't see an "up-side" to this.

Certainly, does not appear to be a smart move!

15. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I guess it's just a conservative putting a spin on things in order to paint a pretty picture: "We've been naughty little boys but Grandaddy Europe will teach us to play nice".

No offense to any Dutch people but if Holland did remove their soft drugs tolerance policy, the decline in tourism numbers would probably be a huge shock to the system. I don't think I would travel to Holland to see a few windmills and an everlasting flat landscape. Again, no offense.

16. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from ireland
    Don't forget clogs.

17. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    They are already closing down 70% of the red light district. The government does not care about tourism and income. It's all christian values now.

18. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Lol, because with those values the fabulous people will go far, im sure.

19. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    The Dutch government is using Diebold voting-machines?? You're doomed.

20. Alfa

Reputation Points:
    At least we got rid of even worse machines everyone could fuck with. I want my paper back!