1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Combinations - DXM and Adderall?

Discussion in 'DXM' started by penta, Dec 7, 2007.

1. penta

penta Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Swim was wondering if it would be a safe to combine both DXM and Adderall. Swim has tried multiple different speed combinations with DXM (caffeine, welbutrin, benzedrex), and swim hasn't really had any negative effects except for feeling quite nauseated after consuming dxm with benxedrex. Swim's new to adderall, and he really likes the effects that it gives him, and swim also enjoys the feelings of dxm.

What type of safety issues is swim looking at if he combined these two products. Also, if it's safe, how much adderall should swim take if swim's planning on consuming around 250 - 300mg of dxm?

2. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Amphetamines are serotonin releasers. DXM is also one and also a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. While the chance of serious serotonin syndrome from this combination is very low, hyperthermia might still be a problem. This is besides hypertension, which is caused by most stimulants.

The combination is not recommended. If one is stubborn and doesn't want to listen, starting at low doses and eventually building them up should be considered. I would also invest into a sphygmomanometer (blood pressure meter) for safety. My vampire has found out that DXM itself in moderate doses (~500mg) increases blood pressure (both sys and dia) by roughly 20%, which isn't dangerous per se (unless when used chronically), but should be considered when DXM is combined with more potent vasopressors.

3. penta

penta Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Would it make a difference if swim tried to use adderal xr? Since adderall xr is released over time, would that be safer? If it's too risky, should swim just skip trying it and stick to taking dxm alone?

4. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    If I were SWIY and it would be legal to do so, I would enjoy both drugs separately. No need to take risks here. Just my opinion.

5. penta

penta Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Yea, swim doesn't want to be rushed off to the hospital or anything. Even though swim can take some pretty massive amounts of uppers, swim completely agrees with you on this one. Adderall is a powerful enough on its own, and same with dxm. Swim thanks you for the help.

6. SaidinIncarnate

SaidinIncarnate Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Playing devil's advocate here, I have successfully combined the two before, but at a very low for me (100 mg) dose of adderall with a high dose of dxm (900 mg). Heartrate and blood pressure were high, but not dangerously so. It's up to you, obviously it's MORE dangerous, but it probably won't kill you.

7. Ranke

Ranke

Reputation Points:
    To add swiParacelsus' information regarding amphetamine and dxm, there is another piece to the equation. Amphetamine is also a mild MAOI which only compounds the problem of combining the two. However, swim used this combination once, he had been having a hard time stay fully awake and/or remembering the trip on 3p doses. As a result he consumed 5-10mg (his memory isn't so good) of d,l-amphetamine along with probably his typical dxm dose at the time (somewhere around 700-900mg). The desired effect was achieved and he felt no ill effects. Regardless, know that swiy knows of the interactions between amphetamine and dxm swim suggests that much careful thought is put into deciding whether or not to engage in this experiment. If swiy decides to go through with said experiment, start at a low dose.