DXM and addiction

Discussion in 'DXM' started by Dexer420, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Dexer420

Dexer420 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    DXM is a cheap, legal, hard drug. It's kinda like a video game or at least I Found it to be one. 4 different levels. 1st easy, fun relaxing. 2nd a little more vivid and antagonizing. 3rd taking over but some may find it fun :). 4th, you're not connected to reality any more.

Never the less it's hard to do with anxiety. It shouldn't be done with MAOis and if you want a cheap buzz every day this drug isn't for you. But if you like experimenting and getting an amazing buzz. Go buy a bottle of cough drops or syrup with 15 mgs of DXM hydrobromideas the only active ingredient.

If you live in Canada like me it's easy to get. f**k when I was doing it 3 or 4 times a week I'd just fill up my boots with lazenges. Go home grind em up throw em in a drink and down er. Or cough medicine. But it's a hard drug. Hardest I've ever taken. My best trips were my first ones. Just like weed. So don't fry out your neurons in one go. Do low doses every so often and you'll have a ball at raves or just chilling playing a game or watching a movie. :) I'm still fighting the addiction but I'm sure it'll go.

2. distilla_truant

distilla_truant Newbie

Reputation Points:
    my boyfriend says that he is not addicted to tussin, but he is dosing 2 4oz. bottles 3-4 times a week. i dex every once in a while too, like maybe 3 times a month tho. i dont understand why he is always dexing or why he needs to. i think he is addicted. okay... i know he is addicted because he cant stop doing it. what do you think? why do you think he feels like he always needs to be robotripping and is he addicted like i think he is? hes been doing it for about 4-5months now.</font>

3. dxmax

dxmax Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i think you need to find him some help, and tell him to stop telling himself hes not addicted

4. 2pacc

2pacc Guest

Reputation Points:
    i had the same problem about a month ago. except i was doing coricidon which is worse. everyday for 3 months i was buying a box of this stuff and having mind boggling trips to the point that when i was sober it felt like the world had changed and nothing else mattered but the buzz. even when i smoked weed it would take a whole blunt to even feel anything. Until one time a took some cccs real fast and got so f**ked up that i lost conciosness and woke up with my face in a trash can vomiting. that was it, i never wanted to do this again.But to bo honest i like dex trippin too much too quit 4 good, so for me its an every 6 - 7 month thing. tell your boyfriend he needs to take a break to reality because the higher of a dose he takes daily the harder its going to be to quit. and i dont care what anyone says it is addictive, an entire month of my lifei dont even remember because i was trippin so hard so long.

5. pickeljuice

pickeljuice Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i went through the same thing i was doing delsym almost everyday for a month or two i wasnt addicted but i just liked it ALOT! but i realized it was fucking up my freindships and my relationship with my family so i only do it 2 or three times a month but tell him all he needs to do is just not do it it is tempting but its easy to not do it

6. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    i always feel that i need to be doing it on a night when im just chillen by myself cuz nothins goin on, or even if im just chillen with 1 friend any night im just at home i always have the feeling that i want to do it really bad. luckily for me i got kicked out of 1 of the only 2 stores in my area i can get it from(that i no of). this limits me so i cant go and buy it every day instead like once a week.

7. Muirner

Muirner Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Lately i have been stuck at home and i have been DEX'in quite a bit. I dont think that i will continue hitting the DXM this hard for quite some time because it has taken a toll. Not a bad one dont get me wrong, but today i woke up sick as hell, and this was after ~4-5 nights of tripping for 5+ hours. So tonight will be a night off, hopfully i feel better. and hey maybe i'll take a RoboGel in the reccomended dose to stop my cough.

Muirner

8. Dreeker

Dreeker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Ive battled so called dxm addiction, only addiction i have had relapses with, ive accepted that as long as i can get some, i will always have some, but have limited my dosage SIGNIFICANLTY over 1 year, from 3-5 avg 600 mg doses a week, to 1.... up to a max of 3 over 2 weeks currently @ no more than 400 mg

oh btw over that span, i have lost 90% of my friends, sux, but i my good friends held thru

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2009
  9. RoboCop

RoboCop Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    You guys dissapoint me. I used heavily because I like it but as soon as the negatives outweighed the positives I was able to let it go. Although it is and always will be my favorite substance I easily gave it up. I always believed dissociatives to be the least addictive of all substances.(and my favorite) I now look back on my DXM trips as the high point of my drug use.

10. kuf66ver

kuf66ver Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Is anyone else addicted to DXM?

I found this note stuck in the back of a library book:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2009
    1. 3/5,
      Triple C's are dangerous please read the Wiki
      May 31, 2009
    2. 3/5,
      Very good post. Unfortunately it's full of self-incrimination. Re-read the rules please.
      May 31, 2009
  11. Abuse

Abuse Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: Is anyone else addicted to DXM?

wow...I had a story much like yours. Colledge student,started dexxing,dropped out, started stealing DEX, got caught and arrested and here I am now...still stealing it.

This shit won't go away.it come to SWIM in his dreams. I feel his insides and he doesn't like it at all. it's like he's full of rocks and broken glass....so SWIM DEXes, the he's himself again

12. sandoz1943

sandoz1943 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

DXM is not physically addictive only mentaly and socialy addictive. Since it's done mainly alone I would venture a guess to say you have developed a mental addiction and if it wasn't DXM it would have been something else.

TRIPLE C"S ARE DANGEROUS! Please read either the Wiki or previous thread about the dangers of triple C's. The active ingredients box on your OTC DXM should list ONLY DXM as the active ingredient. Please do not cause yourself injury and give DXM more bad reputation than it already has.

STEALING makes us all look bad and makes me have to ask the nice lady behind the counter every time she wants to purchase DXM because they have taken it off the shelves because people like you steal it. If I saw someone stealing DXM I would not only turn them in to the store security but I would also give them a good swift kick in the junk. I try not to be violent but I am soo tierd of a few jerks ruining a good thing for the rest off us I think I would follow through.

That being said. Welcome to DF. There are rules and you may want to read them. There are some great people and information (for those who will read it) I'm sure if you can play by the rules you will realy enjoy this site. At least read up on DXM. You sound very young and I would hate to see anyone end up hurting themselves trying to get high. I hope to see you better informed and playing by the rules so maybe you can stick around for a while. Play safe!

13. kuf66ver

kuf66ver Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I amn't that young, I am 22. And I do not steal it anymore as I have learned from his mistakes. Also, SWIM never lets DXM get in the way of school or work and has maintained an above average GPA and rapport with managers at work. I do not use CCCs anymore, it was his first time and did not even know what DXM was or that you could get high on OTC meds. I used to be veryyyy naive.

14. sandoz1943

sandoz1943 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I am glad to hear that. My own son turns 22 in two days so 22 still seems young to me. Life is a learning process I am glad to hear you have learned from your previous mistakes.

15. Sushi

Sushi Signals From 93 Dimensions Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    46 y/o from Łódź, Poland

Madlab has to concur, more or less.
    You model (pattern) of usage is obsessive and compulsive.
    Alf means that You self-indulgence is quite likely escapist and substitutive. I.e it probably masks some other problem (or problems) and it would be good for You to find out what this problem could possibly be. To get to the root of it would probably require more sobriety than tripping though.

This kind of (immoderate) usage's pattern is probably going to repeat so You should examine swiyself closely in relation to other psychoactives too, not only to DXM. Maybe things that happened in last few months were the result of finding "You drug of choice". But it's more probable that You has addictive personality and is susceptible to addiction and spiralling into immoderate usage.

Physical addiction is not something to worry in this case, not only because DXM is not physically addictive. First and foremost that's becuase the most important factor in determining addiction is the loss of control over a drug and this is something purely psychological.

You lost control over DXM usage, no doubt about it.
    Some theories are very pessimistic about possibility of regaining control over a drug after it was lost. Some say it might be possible, sometimes for some, but it's very, very hard to do.

Also some drugs are notoriously harder to control than others, especially alcohol, opiates and nicotine. Theoretically DXM is a dissociative psychedelic but -as You story proves it- in certain creatures it has highly addictive properties. But it is also chemically closely related to opiates and like opiates it offers a deceptively perfect refuge with it's tussin euphoria and dextro-space. And You was behaving just like a plain junkie already: stealing, hiding usage, overdosing...

What You should do?
    IMHO You should start treating DXM like a psychedelic, i.e introduce order and ritual into You pattern of usage.
    Something like "once a month", if it is not possible to stop altogether or do it even rarer (once-twice a year would be optimal probably).
    Possibly looking for professional help to investigate what is the root of addictive traits of You personality.
    Starting own thread at Recovery & Addiction subforum may turn out beneficial to You as there are many helpful, insightful and experienced creatures. And You story may turn out to be beneficial to others as - to swim knowledge - there are no threads devoted to addiction to DXM.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    1. 4/5,
      Good insight. Good advice
      May 31, 2009
  16. kuf66ver

kuf66ver Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I know why he started abusing dxm. It was because he was having a tough time with his social life and dxm was a substitute for those many nights alone. If I could find something else to do during the time he would normally be tripping, and make sure he stayed busy during that time, his abuse would really mellow out, as he only really craves it when he is alone and has nothing better to do.

17. Spare Chaynge

Spare Chaynge Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

hey an addiction counselor once told swim that dxm abuse is a sign of deeper emotional problems(mental disorders). You might want to get this checked out if it pertains to swiy. A psychiatrist might be able to help You with his social problems.

Furthermore, tripping is certainly not going to help you with your social life. It will make social life harder, which will lead to more dxm.

18. kuf66ver

kuf66ver Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

As a Psychology major Swim completely understands what you are saying. I have been seeing a counselor which has helped a little bit. It is a truly vicious cycle.

19. Big Bovice

Big Bovice Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I didn't think it was possible to be addicted to DXM.

I have been a heavy dexer for years at only age 21. I have a 4 bottle of Zicam a day habit. I am a drugstore cowboy. The only days that I don't dex is when he's cleaned out all the local stores. Sometimes swim burns out and stops for a few weeks, only to randomly start up again the second he gets bored around the house. The question is, how badly is swim doing a number on his body? Swim usually dexes 4 days a week until stored re-up. 16-20 bottles of Zicam a week.

Big Bovice added 2 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

Whoops.
    stored = stores

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
    1. 3/5,
      There's another active addiction thread. Join it instead of creating a new one.
      Jun 5, 2009
  20. wespawloski

wespawloski Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from U.S.A.
    Re: I didn't think it was possible to be addicted to dex.

God help you sir, god help you :/

Why Zicam and not robos? I really preferred the liqui-gels over any other.

https://drugs-forum.com/threads/17894