1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Combinations - DXM and Nicotine / Tobacco

Discussion in 'DXM' started by AlienLinux, Nov 29, 2009.

1. AlienLinux

AlienLinux Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The other day SWIM was high on DXM.
    He weigh 150 pounds (about 68 kg) and drank 4 oz of Robitussin Long acting.
    A little bit after he was feeling really strong effects from the DXM, he smoked a cigarette.
    Everything temporarily felt more powerful.
    The effects of the DXM felt stronger.
    Does smoking/vaporizing nicotine/tobacco while on DXM increase it's effects?
    Or does DXM cause your nicotine buzz to feel stronger?
    Or is it just Swim?

Feel free to comment on this.
    It'd be more interesting to find out more on this.

2. themidnighttoker

themidnighttoker

Reputation Points:
    My good friend SWIM found this info in Will White's FAQ about DXM + Nicotine:

Also, SWIM found several sources further accrediting this claim. However, these sources also suggested that one should not smoke cigarettes on a third plateau trip and up, as it can cause SWIY's trip to become very unpleasant. Thanks for bringing this question up though, SWIM hadn't researched this before now; perhaps SWIM will try it next time he trips, even though he is only a casual smoker.

3. EscapeDummy

EscapeDummy Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Nicotine is an MAOI (mono-amine oxidase inhibitior), and as such increases the effect of DXM. It isn't just swiy, a physiological reaction in the body causes nicotine to potentiate dxm.

4. [tanarilla.]

[tanarilla.] Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    My bunny has no desire to smoke under the influence, but she wouldn't think it would have a massive effect on the trip. It is actually written in ww's faq, as someone suggested before, that nicotine does indeed potentiate the effects.

5. VirtuallyEmotionless

VirtuallyEmotionless Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM has experienced this first hand. It was pretty surprising. SWIM feels it made as much of a difference as doing some Nitrous Oxide while on DXM would have.

Upon looking back Cheshire Cat feels he didn't explain this exactly as he wanted. Let him clarify.....

The effect that came from smoking a cigarette while on dextromethorphan was nothing like nitrous oxide, with the exception of the short duration. However, he has done inhalants while on dextromethorphan, but it wasn't nitrous oxide, it was a can of compressed air. The type that is sold to clean electronics. The effect from the tobacco was about as strong as the inhalant's effects.

It really took him by surprise as he's smoked more than enough on DXM. It may have been because he hadn't had a cigarette for a few hours, and the fact that it wasn't actually a filtered cigarette. It was a foil pipe with the tobacco from cigarette butts thrown in it. Yeah, it's nasty, but better than having no cigarettes.

Again, for clarification, the effects were not nitrous oxide like, besides the duration, and how fast it took effect.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  6. sandoz1943

sandoz1943 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I found this thread very interesting. There are several threads out there about using DXM to quit smoking. Funny how differently DXM effects different people.

SWIM dislikes smoking while on DXM. She finds the taste truly awful. Sometimes she wont even smoke for several day after.

It would be interesting to see a survey of DXM users to see if more DXM users like or dislike smoking while under the influence.

7. darrick41

darrick41 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Swim is pretty sure there is another thread about this that was made pretty recently. In the future please make sure to use the search function. There are two ways. One is the search at the top of the page between new posts and quick links. There is another search at the top right of each forum, this says search this forum, and that is a more specific search. When you make a post without searching it clutters the site.

That being said:

Swim loves to smoke when he does dxm. He smokes cloves on occasion, and often when he has taken a lower dose 300-350 mg, sometimes when he smokes it makes the trip kick in a little faster and harder when he has a clove. Swim doesn't smoke usually when sober, but he loves his clove cigars when he is dexing. :)

8. themidnighttoker

themidnighttoker

Reputation Points:
    SWIM is the same way; he usually only smokes hookah while sober, but when inebriated or baked he enjoys smoking more; especially cigars. I'd assume that he would enjoy smoking while Robotripping as well. Does the effect from the nicotine last the whole trip or does it dissipate after a while?

9. VirtuallyEmotionless

VirtuallyEmotionless Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    In SWIM's experience it wore off as fast as it hit, just like Nitrous Oxide.

10. themidnighttoker

themidnighttoker

Reputation Points:
    How disappointing. Oh well, thanks for the info anyway.

11. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco

Reputation Points:
    Hm. That suggests to Cally that the oxygen deprivation is as much a part of that trip as the oxygen replacement in question.

ECL

12. Hollow Hippie

Hollow Hippie Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Nicotine itself is not an MAOI, there are reversible minor MAOIs in tobacco that in addition to increasing DXM's effects also make nicotine pleasurable.

Nicotine without an MAOI would not be very addicting.

13. EscapeDummy

EscapeDummy Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Exact same as swim. When on dxm, after an escape dummy takes a drag off a cig, he feels a "hit" not unlike NO2, then it very quickly leaves.

And hollow hippie, thank you for the correction. So it would be correct to say tobacco is a mild MAOI? Or rather it has mild MAOI properties?

14. pmacris123

pmacris123 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    when me and my friends "accidentally" take too much robo we find that after the "side effects" ware off if we smoke a cig the "side effects" come back for a few minutes.

15. joesweep

joesweep Newbie

Reputation Points:
    swim was just wondering about this, my cat pretty much only trips 3rd plateau and up and enjoys cigs as a short boost after he's peaked. also dxm was the reason my cat cut down smoking considerably a little while ago.

16. stoner9493

stoner9493

Reputation Points:
    swim thinks cigs are the best on dxm.and they taste the best on dxm as well

17. Confetti

Confetti Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Yes, Harmala alkaloids are, to my knowledge, MAOIs in tobacco.

18. luckydxm

luckydxm Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    My friend says that when he smokes a cig on 4th plateau, it's like it's not even happening. When he went to light the cig, his vision was distorted..now, when it comes to the effect, at that high of a level, the nicotine didn't really change the trip. So maybe its different for different doses.

19. OTC Junkie

OTC Junkie Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I am, (i'd say unfortunately), quite well versed on the subject of DXM and tobacco in combination, as I have done quite extensive experiments on myself with varying dosages of DXM and varying types of tobacco/nicotine.

It seems to me that anything below the 3rd plateau will have subjective effects noticeably intensified for a short while. I think this is because on the 1st and 2nd plateau, one is still able to receive and interpret physical sensation in a meaningful way, so the tobacco's effect on the body is actually factored into subjective experience.

To me it feels like combining a nicotine buzz with your DXM buzz, plain and simple. That being said, I find that when I am tripping, the unpleasant physical sensation of smoking burning plant matter is much reduced, as are the negative effects of smoking too much in one sitting, so I find I would usually take much deeper, longer inhales while tripping and I think this may account for why the nicotine is felt so powerfully. If one inhaled as deeply while NOT on DXM, they would probably cough or gag or quit smoking that cigarette, where as while on DXM, that person will finish the cigarette and might light another very shortly afterwards. It is a good combination, the DXM effects and a strong nicotine buzz, which is why I think people assume there is some sort of biochemical interaction going on, but from my reading and experience I do not believe this to be the case, at least as far as immediate intensification of the DXM effects is concerned.

I say it combines rather than potentiate because the theory behind potentiation is Monoamine Oxidase inhibition, and in order for an MAOI mechanism to be in effect, the MAOI compound needs to be in the system before the drug being enhanced. This would imply that smoking before you trip might effect it, and daily smokers do seem to experience DXM ever so slightly differently than non-smokers, but not to the same extent that many other drugs seem to be effected by MAO inhibition. I have personally tried smoked a bunch during the day before a trip, but ended up simply feeling more paranoid while on DXM, (which might constitute "stronger" effects, but not in a desirable way).

As a previous poster said, 3rd and 4th plateau trips are not likely to experience the same subjective intensification of effects, because IF someone is capable of smoking a cigarette at this point, they are likely to be so cut off from the physical sensations of their body, a nicotine buzz is just not likely to register within their subjective experience. To draw some contrast, smoking pot seems to actually biochemically interact with the DXM metabolism, making you trip much harder and if someone on the 3rd plateau smoked a joint, they would most certainly end up on the 4th plateau. If nicotine had an analogous biochemical interaction with DXM that truly made you trip harder, (i.e. if the tobacco was somehow making the same dose of DXM feel stronger), one would experience the same intensification of effects that are felt when smoking pot, but again, from what I've read and what I've experienced, this doesn't seem to be the case. It instead seems to be you are experience a tobacco buzz through the lens of a DXM trip

Another note to point out, if one smokes while tripping on the 2nd plateau, it is a good way to inadvertently increase your nicotine tolerance and increase the amount you tend to smoke while NOT tripping, because of how much more deeply one smokes each cigarette while tripping, and because of how many cigarettes one can smoke in a relatively short amount of time due to the distortions of time sense DXM can induce.

Another thing worth noting, I had a bad paranoid trip on the upper 3rd which involved smoking cigarettes, and for about a month or two afterwards, whenever I smoked a cigarette while 'sober' I would get a mild adrenal flash-back roughly approximating the original bad trip. This makes me think I was triggering the same flight or fight response that hit me when I had the bad trip with nicotine, so whether there is actually some biochemical interplay with Chronic use of both DXM and nicotine, I don't know but based on my experience i'd say it is possible. This has subsequently lead me to quit smoking cigarettes all together, and my DXM trips have been noticeably less paranoid ever since, though on the 3rd plateau I still get flashbacks sometimes.

In summation, I'd say smoking while tripping can provide some short term kicks, but based on my experience it is not advisable as an ongoing practice.

20. willieboosie

willieboosie Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Its different for everybody, but I can remember totally avoiding cigarettes after the first time I smoked while tripping. It would kill me high with every hit. I could literally feel myself coming down.

Once I smoked about 30 minutes after dosing and it delayed my onset for about an hour and a half, and then the dex hit me super hard out of nowhere. I've never found a report of a cigarette affecting anyone like it did me but that's my experience.