DXM and Tramadol?

Discussion in 'DXM' started by D-termine, Jan 18, 2006.

1. D-termine

D-termine Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Is this a bad idea, and might the be a risk of Serotonin Syndrome? I routinely mix 300mg Tramadol and 300-600mg of DXM. Hope Im not doing something retarded here.

I found this little tidbit while surfing around, anyone have any opinions on it?

Tramadol is an analgesic with opioid and serotonin-reuptake inhibiting properties that is metabolized by the cytochrome P (CYP)-450 isoenzyme 2D6. Serotonin syndrome has been reported from interactions between tramadol and sertraline22 and fluoxetine.23 Possible causes include SSRI inhibition of CYP 2D6 metabolism of tramadol, tramadol abuse,23 and multiple co-administered medications.22

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Err on the side of caution: Avoid.

3. D-termine

D-termine Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Im thinking I might, but from the 3 times Ive done it, it has been magical

4. Chunkz

Chunkz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    well dxm is one of those mix with anything types of drugs.Ive mixed it with a bunch of other substances before. On the other hand, tramadol might be bad to mix with Narcs, such as alchohol or something similar.

5. Chunkz

Chunkz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    correction, I didn't mean anything anything. Just basic stuff, and not too much!

6. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Huh. I had the opposite experience. He found that DXM, while a fine chemical on its own, mixes poorly with almost everything. Even simple cigarettes gave him trouble. The only exceptions he found were cannabis and nitrous.

ECL

7. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Avoid the combination.

I did it a couple of times (the tramadol potentiated the DXM a little bit), but now he knows that both DXM and tramadol are serotonin reuptake inhibitors, so the risk of serotonin syndrome may be quite high, especially at the given doses (300mg tramadol and up to 600mg DXM) - but you said nothing about yous tolerance to both chemicals.

8. Chunkz

Chunkz Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    I meant aliitle of dexter. An average amound could easily cause problems. But really, it is better than you think to avoid than to go down magic trail.

9. BakaBilly

BakaBilly Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o
    I recommend if you want to mix it with anything to mix it with Darvocet. I say he loves it.

10. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    1. Although this depends on dosage of both chemicals, a mixture of DXM and dextropropoxyphene (one active ingredient in Darvocet) can lead to respiratory depression. Not fun.

2. Darvocet also contains acetaminophen. Not recommended unless a cold water extraction is done.

3. You/I shouldn't recommend anyone to engage in illegal activity.

4. This thread is about tramadol with DXM, not about random combinations including DXM.

11. Chug Chug Chug

Chug Chug Chug Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My cat is prescribed tramadol now and is wondering if it'll be safe to take his recommended dose 50-100mg with or after dxm? His dose may be around 1000mg of the extended release(delsym but powder). He's taken a long break off dxm and plans to keep it going for a 'nother month until he's temporarily done with his classes. So he was thinking taking tramadol to sleep on dxm on maybe even potentiate may be considerable? Especially since I only need a low dose. I'll accept all opinions. Thanks.

12. PsychedelicSoul

PsychedelicSoul Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    AFOAF used to do this combo when he took Tramadol on a daily basis. It did not cause him any problems like seizures but it made it a more intense experience. Tramadol also possesses NDMA activity as well as serotonin like DXM does