Combinations - DXM + Codeine: a trip report and a word of caution

Discussion in 'DXM' started by El Calico Loco, Oct 28, 2006.

1. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    My friend I have read the DXM FAQ several times. He had been curious about the "synergistic" effect of DXM and opiates; he decided to try it for himself. Knowing the danger of respiratory depression, he decided to take it slow. He read a couple of trip reports with DXM + Codeine, then set out.

T - 30: A light dinner of noodles, veggies, and canned chicken.

T + 0: Took 50mg diphenhydramine HCL.

T + 0:30: Took 30mg codeine sulfate.

T + 1:30: Took 800mg dextromethorphan HBr (10mg/kg).

T + 3:00: At the three hour mark, he felt pretty good. It felt like a mild codeine buzz mixed with the Tussin euphoria. He wasn't having any respiratory problems, so he decided to add 30mg more codeine, bringing the total to 60mg.

Side note: he doesn't normally smoke cigarettes when using DXM, but had been this evening. For some reason. He's not sure why.

T + 3:30: He felt the other 30mg of codeine kick in like a mule. He felt pleasantly stoned, but little else.

T + 4:00: He still couldn't feel the full effects of the DXM. It still felt like the first plateau, when it should have been the third. He decided to smoke some weed. He took three hits of quality bud; the whole room began to vibrate and flang. He felt great.

T + 4:15: This is where it gets strange. He lit another cigarette and took a puff. He began to feel strange. He took another puff and started to feel a mild nausea combined with a feeling that Something Is About To Happen.

He stood up, not quite sure why. Maybe to get some water or to go throw up. He got about four steps before he collapsed on the stone floor. The last thing he remembered was his terrified girlfriend calling his name.

He...went away for a little while. He went somewhere he had been before: the same place 5-MeO-DMT had taken him several times. He had what felt like the classic descriptions of a Near Death Experience. Down a dark tunnel to a bright white light. He felt no fear. It seemed like an eternity of bliss.

He awoke to his girlfriend crying and shaking him. She helped him into a nearby chair. His breathing felt labored, but not really - just as it does when coming down from 5-MeO-DMT. He felt The Warp.

He was back to normal - well, tripping normally on DXM and stoned from cannabis and codeine, at least - within a few minutes. He decided not to smoke any more cigarettes that night.

He asked his girlfriend what happened. She said he had fallen to the floor and curled up into a little ball. He asked how long it had been and was surprised to hear that he had been that way for a couple of minutes - he had thought it was only a few seconds.

The DXM seemed to kick in normally over the next few hours. He tripped for awhile, then went to bed.

He's not sure exactly what to make of all this. He doesn't feel like he was really in any physical danger (well, except for falling down), because the experience was nearly identical to what he's experienced on 5-MeO-DMT. But what the hell brought that on?

He knows from experience that tobacco can kick a DXM trip up a plateau, but not necessarily in a good way (it gives nausea, and thus a dark edge to the trip). Cannabis + DXM has always been bliss for him, even at 1200mg of DXM. And why did the DXM take so long to really kick in?

He thinks the codeine must have delayed the onset of the DXM, somehow. He's done diphenhydramine and cannabis and tobacco with DXM before, and never has it taken longer than two hours to kick in, even with a full stomach. This time it took five.

And what does it mean? Is 5-MeO-DMT simply an Absolute Dissociative? Something that can be reached by combining other dissociatives in certain ways?

Swim strongly advises caution when mixing other drugs with DXM, even a little bit. He feels terrible for what he put his girlfriend through. She says it's okay - she's just happy he's not hurt - but he's going to do his best to make it up to her anyway.

He thinks he'll try it again, but at much lower dosages - maybe 15mg codeine and 200mg DXM (and start with the dex, this time). It truly was synergistic.

ECL

2. El Calico Loco

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Update:

Swim rested for a few days and decided to try again, this time with 400mg DXM and 15mg codeine. He took 1 tab of diphenhydramine (25mg) beforehand, waited half an hour, took the DXM, waited ninety minutes, and then added the codeine.

There was no drama of the sort he experienced before - no falling down or visiting 5-MeO-DMT-land (which he thinks may be the 5th plateau), even when cannabis and tobacco were added to the mix.

The one little pill of codeine definitely added something, however. He wouldn't say that it moved the trip up a plateau; it was more of a lateral direction. It was interesting, but not something he plans to do again. He felt no respiratory distress, but did sometimes feel as if he was forgetting to breath (if that makes any sense).

He advises against mixing the two, and using strict caution if one does.

ECL

3. pankreeas

pankreeas Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    99 y/o
    Dxm actually potentiates codeine.

Taken from the link posted below

"Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide - Therapeutic doses of dextromethorphan tend to smooth out a codeine buzz and add calmness to the buzz of hydrocodone, oxycodone, and dihydrocodeine. Anything above this amount may not be a good idea because of the respiratory effects. Dextromethorphan is technically an opioid in the same chemical class as Levo-Dromoran, without a lot of the same effects, of course."

I wouldn't reccommend anybody using the dxm / codeine combo. It can get really dangerous with high doses.
    Swim will however reccommend that a combo of marijuana with dxm be tried, as it is one of the nicest ever if you have a night to yourself with absolutely nothing pertinant to do!

THe whole potentiatng the read can be found here:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2009
  4. El Calico Loco

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Having seen what happened to my test subject in both circumstances, I agree with both statements.

I believe codeine and DXM can be combined in tiny amounts - say, 15mg codeine and 100mg DXM - but anything more than that is asking for it. The synergy is much stronger than my subject thought it would be.

Cannabis, on the other hand, seems to potentiate DXM very well even at the higher plateaus.

ECL
    (So long as your subject doesn't overdo it and go into paranoid psychosis.)

5. spectrum_92

spectrum_92 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    25 y/o
    good evening gentlemen. this evening I has used significant quantites of dxm, codeine and marijuana and i would like to document the experience which is not yet complete but well into the peak. these are rough timings:

swim orally consumed roughly 200mls of codeine following cold water extraction method.

15 minutes later: Opiatic feeling begins, tingling, one joint is smoked.

30 minutes later: Moderate-Strong sensation of opiatic nature, combined with mental state of marijuana.

From T+30minutes ever 15 minutes 60mls of dxm is consumed, this has thusfar occurred 4 times therefore 240mls of dxm has been consumed although this figure is likely to be slightly lower.

Very high temperature, moderate disconnection from reality, extreme diziness with slight movement, increased sensitivity to and appreciation for music, mild jaw clenching.

comments would be welcome, i will summarise the entire experience tomorrow.

6. EscapeDummy

EscapeDummy Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have found he gets mild fevers and a feeling of pressure in the head when taking over 350mg of dxm. That's why he recommends that Swiys take 1-2 regular strength tylenol or advil (ibuprofen), 30-45 minutes before the DXM. Those drugs work as fever reducers, and anti-inflammatory/muscle relaxant, which may also help with the jaw clenching.

And a question: did the ~200mg of codeine + ~240 mg DXM not feel overwhelming? I would think that is quite a dose of codeine to combine; does You have a high tolerance?

7. spectrum_92

spectrum_92 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    25 y/o
    I have a very high tolerance for both of the mentioned drugs. However, i would like to add the remaining experiences that occured following my previous message.

Immediately after posting the previous message, i observed swim stand up and as with most substances the effect strengthened as he stood up and walked around, soon it became impossible to remain standing and swim lay down on his bed. Soon swim began feeling his breathing start to dangerously falter, and the thought of impending death began to rise. For the next few hours I was passing out and desperately forcing himself to remain awake under the impression that if he passed out he would die. Eventually this became futile and much of the night is not clearly remembered by me however for hours consciousness became dream like and from memory swim recalls having conversations with supernatural beings and god, extremely vivid hallucinations and a complete disconnection from reality.

The following day I was feeling extremely calm and happy for the entire day, with minor to moderate cravings for further drug use. That is all

8. ProfK

ProfK Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    48 y/o from South Africa
    Hahaha, my pet cricket has had a very similar experience the first time he took 600mg DXM, and the first time he smoked weed on DXM. He first became very paranoid, imagined being in a military bed, captive somewhere, not for warfare purposes but medical experiments. Very soon this kind of coherent thinking was put to a stop, and he imagined himself in constant danger of being flushed through the curve of a toilet bowl pipe. Eventually resistance was futile, he let go and went out the dark, back end of the pipe, and he found himself flying in space, around a large Maltese cross a friend had shown him before the trip, drawn on paper, and he was holding hands with a beautiful girl. Later he has memories of strange people in a different place that had long been waiting for him, welcoming him with joy.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  9. hayburner

hayburner Silver Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    well since your friend took DPH and codeine before ingesting DXM, and knowing that all three of these substances are metabolized by the same enzyme group in the liver, the DXM took longer to convert to its metabolites and probably evened out the DXM:DXO ratio, hence why it was a bit "delayed". my talking coffee cup has found that the way one doses DXM matters greatly on the effects. coffee cup recalls an experience where he took 50mg DPH about an hour before sipping an 8oz (708mg) of tussin over the course of 30-45 minutes. once the bottle was done he had a cigarette or two and about 30 minutes later he vomited quite violently when he felt the DXM kicking in. but still it didn't feel like a third plateau dose to him, just felt a bit speedy, numb and slightly "stoned". the trip really didn't kick in until maybe 3-4 hours later when coffee cup smoked some decent cannabis, and was then launched into an incredible euphoria.

so coffee cup advises that sigma dosing DXM (one first plateau dose every hour or two) is by far the superior route to simply ingesting the entire dose at once.

peace.

10. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    correct me if I am wrong but dooesnt dxm depend on the same enzyme class for elimination and codeine also partially uses the same enzymes to convert to morphine? I would think this would weaken codeine since dxm would steal some of the enzymes for elimination leaving less for codeine conversion.

DXMs codeine enhancement comes from nmda antagonism which is believed to play a role in tolerance. I am betting this is the primary mode of the codeine enhancement.

11. EmergencyGrant24

EmergencyGrant24 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from Canada
    I usually take 750mg dmx and 300mg codeine and it always works out just fine for me

EmergencyGrant24 added 2 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

And dxm Is not an opiate it just happened to be in the right place at the right time so to speak and is a mirror image of levomethorphan if i remember correctly.

EmergencyGrant24 added 6 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

I do have a high tolerance to opiates I use fentanyl regularly so codeine is my favorite opiate though, I dont get the respiratory depression like other people here had mentioned i think i may lack cytochromecyp2d6

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014