Drug info - DXM in Promethazine DM

Discussion in 'DXM' started by csharpprogrammer, Feb 10, 2007.

1. csharpprogrammer

csharpprogrammer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I was recently prescribed Promethazine DM for his cough. According to [a now dead and gone website] it contains DXM. Does anyone know the concentration of DXM in the syrup? I would like to use this as a booster dose.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2009
  2. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Promethazine is an antihistamine and weak anti-psychotic, in high doses it will cause the same type of delerium as caused by diphenhydramine. It's also a CNS depressant, so in high doses on top of the delerium it might also cause heavy respiratory depression or even respiratory failure, so SWIM strongly recommends NOT to take this for the effects of the DXM as it would probaply very dangerous, stick to DXM only products.

3. csharpprogrammer

csharpprogrammer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM already has a dose of a DXM only product. He would like to take some of the Promethazine DM because of the antihistamine to counter the itch. SWIM just doesn't want to take too much DXM and that is why he wants to know how much he will be taking, hence a booster dose.

4. mouthwater

mouthwater Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    As explained above, Promethazine is an antihistamine. Antihistamines block histamine receptors-- at medicinal doses, this causes alleviation of stuffy and runny noses, itchy eyes, and rashes (among others); antihistamines are also popular over-the-counter (OTC) sleep aids, because some cause mild sedation.

Some side effects of antihistamines are low blood pressure, heart palpitations, and hallucinations. You would be increasing the risk and severity of side effects by drinking more than the recommended dose of promethazine. As noted above, respiratory depression (and failure) could result.

So, of course, I recommend not to use this recreationally. I found one site which mentioned a syrup containing 6.25 mg/5 mL promethazine and 15 mg/5 mL dextromethorphan. You wants to use this as a booster dose, and I don't think there would be many negative side effects if You doses the recommended amount of Promethazine DM. DXM users are known to take very low doses of antihistamines to alleviate nausea and the robo itch with very little negative side effects. I know it's unsafe to mix antihistamines (above the recommended dose) with DXM, so You should dose according to the instructions on the bottle. SWIM estimates You will only get 15 - 30 mg of DXM as a boost if s/he follows the instructions on the label.

5. zera

zera Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Illinois, U.S.A.
    DM is the abbreviation the medical community uses for dextromethorphran, for some reason the recreational community uses DXM. I suppose because all drugs come in three letter abbreviations. So for future reference anything with DM in the name contains DXM. But then again there's always the issue of what else it contains.