Drug info - DXM Products in the United Kingdom

Discussion in 'DXM' started by adzket, Mar 12, 2005.

1. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    hi there i live in the uk and have heard of dxm on erowid but it says to be carefull as some dxm products contain things on which you can od very easly on in small amounts and as these are larger amounts compaired to dxm not advisable. but what i am looking for is a brand in the uk thats all or mostly dxm without any nastys mentioned on erowid. i would ask my local chemist but am curently on a methidone scrip for herion addiction and so he would probibly guess i wanted it for the wrong use. there is no other chemist in the small village i curently live in. if any 1 can be of any help that would be great. if your going to tell me to wait for acsess to sourse page dont bother please.

2. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    You also want to avoid chlorpheneramine maleate. Here's a couple DXM-only products in the UK:

Vicks Vaposyrup for Dry Coughs - 160mg DXM HBr per 120ml bottle. No other
    active ingredients.

Robotussin Full Strength for Dry
    Coughs
    - 150mg DXM HBr per 100ml bottle. No other active ingredients.

Probably more, but these seem to be the most popular ones.

3. Micklemouse

Micklemouse Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    To avoid confusion for folks in Briton...

ACETAMINOPHEN = PARACETOMOL

...so don't think that because you can't see acetominophen on the label it's safe. Always check the label and do a search on paracetomol dosages and dangers. Paracetomol won't thin your blood(you're thinking of Aspirin, Shovenkauf!), but but in high and regular doses will seriously damage your liver and kidneys.

This has been a Public Service Announcement. And now, back to our scheduled program...

4. retype

retype Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Ok, you could also try asking for "benylin adult dry cough" like i got yesterday, it comes in a 125ml bottle, and has no nasties but 162.5mg DXM and also 350mg of diphenhydramine, which seems a rare trip drug from what i have read, but a good one. Also i would avoid asking for robotussin in the uk, i havent seen it at all and it's name is synonymous with dxm. Your pharmacist would recognise that you just want to trip probably, and with benylin you can just say u saw the advert for it on TV if they get twitchy.

hope that might have helped :)

5. Reflux

Reflux Newbie

Reputation Points:

I've seen Robitussin for sale here in the UK in several chemists, and have never had problems buying it OTC. There's no need to worry about being suspected of misuse just because you ask for a cough medicine by it's brand name. Just go in and say you have a dry cough and ask what they have available. You'll find most chemists are very helpful in showing you what products they have.

6. billbong

billbong Newbie

Reputation Points:
    DXM is a controlled substance in the uk. To get cough syrup containing DXM you need a prescription from your doctor

7. ferox

ferox Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Never triedDXM before, am an occasional K user but due to financial retraints, have had to stop usage for the time being. Anyway, what dosage of Robotussin Full Strength for Dry Coughs, Vicks Vaposyrup for Dry Coughs and Boots Tusana Cough Linctus would I need for first time use? I am a 12 stone (approx 76 kilogram)male

8. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    About 200-250mg (around 2/3 of a 4oz bottle) would probably be a good first time dose (especially since you've done K before).

I would stick to Robitussin... IMO the mentholy taste of Vicks is disgusting.

9. Sway

Sway Newbie

Reputation Points:

I'm sure this is untrue, I've only tried DXM once and i bought that in
    Boots OTC, just asked the person behind the counter if i could have a
    look at a few cough meds, told her i was allergic to something or other
    (cant remember what, it was a while ago) found one that suited my needs
    and bought it no questions asked, only thing is that it wasn't exactly
    a huge bottle so I figured I'd just go get a couple more from a few
    other local shops and just ask for it by name (it was quite a famous
    brand but for the life of me I can't remember what it was).

Unfortunaly i couldn't find any in the other shops so It was pretty
    much just a waste of time and effort, got no effects that a few beers
    wouldn't give me. I really should give it another try soon...

10. kingkenny

kingkenny Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My been looking for the last few days, best he found was a bottle containing 150mg, which isn't very cost effective, plus asking for a couple of bottles at a time might set a few alarm bells ringing. Is it legal to get dxm powder sent to the uk?

11. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    I was looking at a bottle of benylin adult dry cough non drowsy the other day on the label it has ingrediants dextromethorphan then some other word i cant rember for the life of me beging with h I think it was hydro something or other is this ok or is this something else altogether? cheers for any help i can give swim. i have since found out it was hydrobromide so it has active ingrediants dextromethorphan hydrobromide is this safe is it the same as regular dxm? thanks again for what i can tell swim.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  12. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Yup, it's just the most common compound to find DXM in AFAIK although: