Health - DXM Warning

Discussion in 'DXM' started by OiledMandible, Jun 20, 2005.

1. OiledMandible

OiledMandible Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Most of you already know this, but it is well worth repeating:

If you are currently, or have recently (a few days, to be safe) taken any sort of SSRI anti-depressant, DO NOT USE DXM.

SSRI's (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) are used to combat
    depression by inhibiting the reuptake (the re-absorption) of serotonin
    in the brain. Essentially, they leave lots of serotonin in your
    brain. Combined that with DXM and you are liable to get serotonin
    syndrome, which can easily cause coma or death.

As well: SSRI's are one such drug that inhibits the
    P450-2D6 enzyme responsible for breaking DXM down into DXO (Otton & Wu, 1993). This has the effect of minimizing
    hallucinations but maximizing confusion, and can cause the trip to literally last for days. (Wikipedia)

SSRIs include the following brands: Prozac,
    Fontex, Seromex, Seronil, Sarafem, Zoloft, Lustral, Lexapro, Cipralex,
    Celexa, Cipramil, Emocal, Sepram, Luvox, Faverin, Paxil, Seroxat,
    Aropax, Strattera. (nagognog2 and Wikipedia) Chances are thats not all. Do your research.</span></span></span></span></span>

More info on serotonin syndrome can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/9ayr5

Be careful. Dont use DXM if you are on an SSRI.

/Take it from me. I would rather
    not elaborate, but a close friend recently found out the hard
    way. A three day coma was involved...[​IMG]</span>

Edited by: OiledMandible

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    For those of you who are not certain which drugs OiledMandible is referring to as SSRI's, these include: Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, and the other newer anti-depressants. Also the new whiz-bang "cure" for ADHD - Strattera. Strattera was released as an anti-depressant as it is in the same family as Prozac et al. But it did not work very well. So they re-marketed it for ADHD. Go figure.

3. Rob Cypher

Rob Cypher Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Strattera isn't a SSRI - and I hate to admit it, but some folks have found that mixing DXM and Strattera causes a synergetistic effect where the Strattera feels more potent in nature and overcomes the "robowalk" and mumbled speech effects that DXM causes. Would not recommend for someone to do this, though; YMMV and it may actually overpower some folks due to what I believe is the cause of this effect - CYP2D6 enzyme inhibition.

Has anyone else noticed that from the two? It was interesting until I realized it was also making my semen turn into glue (thanks to how Strattera alters certain fat lipids) and as a result sex was painful upon orgasm instead of merely anorgasmic like how the SSRIs tend to neuter the process (and the effect continued on for days after the combination; obviously one is not attempting to 'come' while the DXM is active because of how it blocks those sensations needed to trigger the process in the first place).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    1. 3/5,
      Why are you bumping a poorly formatted thread from 8 years ago?
      Oct 10, 2013
  4. MikePatton

MikePatton Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from israel
    I'm very sorry for your friend. I've been on SSRIs for many years, when I tried DXM it didn't do much at all. I found that much like MDMA the effects are reduced to shreds. My highest dose was 500mg, which I didn't go beyond to not risk serotonine syndrome. The experience was weak and boring and I wouldn't repeat it. I also had the worst diarrhea ever, which I thought might be an interaction with the SSRIs, or it coud just be a side effect of the syrup alone.

So what I'm saying is that taking DXM on SSRIs is not only dangerous, but it's not fun either. I never really got to experience anything that I've read about the DXM experience. I'm on Sertraline.

5. drummingstoned20

drummingstoned20 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    25 y/o from U.S.A.
    .....Wierdly fear mongers preach all about ss but its not common with any of the doctors ive mentioned it to.

1. 3/5,
      more dangerous "advice" from someone who doesn't seem to have even a basic understanding of how drugs work
      Oct 12, 2013
    2. 3/5,
      This is insulting to people giving warnings of the dangers.
      Oct 10, 2013
  6. Nertplor

Nertplor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from Australia
    I won't encourage it, but above poster is fairly accurate. In my research anyway. I have also been suicial years ago and tried to induce ss. It is quite hard for a healthy person to die solely using this method and death usually occurs from complications regarding other health issues.
    One thing I will point out though. SS even if you don't die from it is hell on earth. You don't want to experience it.

7. MikePatton

MikePatton Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o from israel
    I only had Seretonine Syndrome once and it was on DXM + Sertraline. It was a very mild case but I have never felt so horrible in my fucking life. I guess some can pull it off and some can't. Not worth it if you ask me, don't mix these two together.

8. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    Something not being common does not mean it does not happen nor that people should not be warned about the danger. If you think this is 'fear mongering' then perhaps you missed on of the main points of this site which is harm reduction.

I dont see warning someone of a potentially lethal danger as 'preaching'.

9. tidruid

tidruid Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have read about being careful of doing dxm with certain food that contains maois. Certain bread and cheeses contain trace amounts.

10. pcp saved my life

pcp saved my life Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ^ I think it is the other way around, not eating these foods when taking MAOIs