DXM Without Tears

Discussion in 'DXM' started by El Calico Loco, Aug 30, 2006.

1. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have been playing with DXM for a few months, usually by boiling the proper DXM-only cough drops until the powder is freed and pouring away the gunk. It's made him sick several times, and he's come to believe the "dirty" feeling that some ascribe to DXM is nothing more than the dissociated mind's way of communicating nausea. He thinks this often gets misinterpreted as horror, leading to bad trips. He has thrown up even after taking two precautionary dimenhydrinate pills before the trip.

He thinks he's finally found the Right Way to do it, however.

Forget the syrups. Get some DXM HBr powder and mix it into some 180 proof ethanol (Everclear) at a concentration of 50mg/mL. You'll only need to down one swallow instead of chugging a vile glass of aqueous solution.

Finally, the magic step: add 1/4 tsp of citric acid to your dose.

The last part came from a hunch. I'm still not sure I understand why it works - the Internet tells me that most hydrobromide salts are acidic, so the citric acid shouldn't have help. DXM HBr tastes bitter as hell to creatures, however, so maybe it is basic after all. Maybe adding citric acid raises the pH to a level more acceptable to one's stomach. I haven't witnessed any sort of acid/base reaction like one gets when mixing citric acid and baking soda, though...it just sits there.

SWIM starts with an empty stomach. He takes 50mg diphenhydramine HCL (Benadryl), wait twenty minutes or so, and then down the DXM/Ethanol/Citric Acid concoction in one gulp. The result is all the benefits of a DXM trip with none of the drawbacks.

My knowledge of chemistry is limited. Perhaps someone more experienced could shed more light on this.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2006
  2. tre2005be

tre2005be Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    are you sure You means diphenhydramine? pretty sure they are used as a seleepin aid.

3. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Oh yeah, I forgot that it wasn't actually me, but someone else. :)

But yes, I do use diphenhydramine HCl. DPL is a wonder chemical - antihistamine, anti-emetic, and sleep aid. Dramamine is basically diphenhydramine with a stimulant attached to fight drowsiness. Taking the DPL before the DXM fights his allergies and any nausea that might come up (no pun intended), though this isn't much of a problem when he remembers the citric acid.

He doesn't recommend taking more than 50mg. Some people take large amounts of DPL (500mg) by itself for its deliriant aspects; this leads to paranoia, dehydration, extreme lethargy, and temporary psychosis. Interesting once, but not recommended. Taking this much with DXM is just asking for it (severe dehydration, if nothing else).

4. Each Hit

Each Hit Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    swim only threw up on his first two "big" dxm trips. after that, he could destroy 3 bottles of syrup and have no vomitting and little to no nausea. his co-conspirators had similar early trials, but two of them can hardly stand to even see a bottle of cough syrup, now (that was their method of administration for a long while). glad to see You found a way to enjoy dxm without feelin sick.