Health - E & Antibiotics

Discussion in 'Ecstasy & MDMA' started by Marphex, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Marphex

Marphex Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Is there any real danger of taking pills/mdma whislt using antibiotics?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    None known. But if your lab ratis fighting off an infection/bacterial illness, it would not be a good idea to put any additional strain on your lab rat'sbody. Wait untilhe/she isfully well. And be sure to have your ratcomplete the course of antibiotics prescribed. Failure to do so can give rise to creating a "Superbug" that is resistant to conventional methods of treatment. Edited by: nagognog2

3. JewishNazi

JewishNazi Gold Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Antibiotics really should be taken on their own and not mixed with anything else. MDMA, antibiotics and a little splash of alcohol would make you regret it for life

4. xpr´k

xpr´k Newbie

Reputation Points:

I'm notta gonna claim mixing those 3 wont make you feel like crap . But i got a feeling your basing this on the myth that alcohol and antibiotics shouldnt be mixed cause they will mkae you sick.

That story gets told so much everyone seems to believe but the simple fact is , if your taking a drug that will interact will alcohol your MD will advise you on it and there will definatly be a mention of it in the paper they add with the medicine (whats the actuall englisch word for this anyway???).

Those papers with all the what and what not's arent there for your protection but for the protection of the pharmacutical company that made it against law suits . If there even is a small change that antibiotics would enhance the effects of alcohol it will be mentioned .

Last time i had to take antibiotics there was 0 mention of it.

That said you shouldnt do drugs when you sick period , ive done so in the past and the experience is almost always bad. (I once turned yellow after taking speed and XTC on a Parriet subscription for a stomach infection)

5. quinone

quinone Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Nagog is right that there is no known contraindications from mixing
    alcohol and antibiotics, but that doesn't mean that its ok to drink
    alcohol. When you're liver is busy trying to deal with the poison
    (alcohol) you've introduced into your body, the antibiotics rate of
    absorption, breakdown, excretion are effected ... aka alcohol will
    impair the effects of the antibiotic. There are 3 antibiotics
    specifically, however, that you should NOT mix alcohol with, these
    are metronidazole, cephamandole and ketoconazole.
    Metronidazole is actually closely related to a drug called
    Antabuse. Antabuse was a drug once used for the sole purpose of
    detering alcoholics from drinking by causing severe nausea and
    vomiting. While none of these 3 drugs will hurt you more then a
    headache/nausea/vomitting, they are the most dangerous of all the
    antibiotics to mix alcohol with.

The bottom line is that health is paramount. Recreation can wait
    for a week or two for your body to fight off the infection ... you wont
    die without drugs. Give your body time to recoup, and then
    indulge again. SWIM can't imagine a bad trip while your sick
    either. So no, don't do shrooms or K, just wait for the 2 weeks
    of your prescription. Infections can kill !!! take them
    seriously, do everything you can to get better (try and get more sleep
    if you can, try and eat a lil healthier for the week your on the drugs
    .. anything that can aid your body in dealing with this bacterial
    threat) and be thankful that drugs exist to cure your disease.

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    "Nagog" never said anything about mixing antibiotics and alcohol. That can cause certain antibiotics to lose effectiveness. My statement - scroll up - dealt with MDMA and antibiotics.

7. quinone

quinone Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Sorry, I meant that you said there were no contraindications for
    antibiotics period, my bad, apparently I must go back to english class

8. xpr´k

xpr´k Newbie

Reputation Points:

Drinking a few beers when sick but not on antibiotics has the same effect, antibiotics do not enhance the effectsof alcohol otherwise it would be mentioned in 'the manual'.

My dad used to be a marketing director of one of the biggest pharmacutical companies in western europe . Its from him i learned that story of how those 'manuals' are not for the consumer but as a legal protection for the firm itself.

Since then ive read from different sources that antibiotics enhancing the effect of alcohol is a myth. Like nanog saidall it will do is hamper with the effectivenessof the drug. The feeling drunk faster is purely the fact that your sick.

And for the sake of staying on topic, XTC has a far greater bodyload then alcohol so taking some when allready sick is a very bad idea. If anything the myth proves that point.Edited by: xpr´k

9. Boyv

Boyv Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Antibiotics is used for bacterial infections and alike. For the antibiotics to work at their maximum, the level of the antibiotics in the blood must remain constant (or near to constant) during the use of it.

Like antibiotics, XTC will be broken down by the liver. When using both, the liver has to work harder. This can effect your level of antibiotics in your blood, which can cause a negative outcome of your cure. Besides of this, the matter/disease/illness/whatever which you are fighting against with needs all the energy that the body can give, so it's not wise at all to use XTC during this.Edited by: Boyv

10. KomodoMK

KomodoMK Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I have just been prescribed metronidazole for a dental infection were the wisdom teeth are pushing through. I was going to do some MDMA this weekend but after reading the above he thinks he will put it on hold until the course is completed. Gurning probably isn't going to help much with that dental problem either lol.

SWIM can verify that drinking alcohol whilst taking metronidazole is a bad idea, because it made his best friend fairly sick when she took both.

11. SomeoneNotMe43

SomeoneNotMe43 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    The danger of combining antibiotics and mdma typically rests in whether or not the antibiotic is having an impact on an enzyme in your liver called Cyp3a4 (typically, not always). This enzyme is used in the breakdown of drugs in your body, its the enzyme that stops a drug from working. When you take an antibiotic that inhibits this enzyme and take a drug like mdma, you run the risk of getting sick ie serotonin syndrome, or generally feeling shitty from your liver being overworked, or being high way too long. The many possible drug interactions are way to complex to say concretely that "taking antibiotic A and drug B will make you sick", but its worth noting at least.

In short, if you want to feel safe about taking an antibiotic while rolling, you should see if the antibiotic in question has an effect on that enzyme. The list of ones that do is quite short, but some common ones like amoxicillan are on there...

But of course, its always better to just wait until your healthy and off antibiotics, because they can't do their job while you're high as a kite dancing to Techno. Hypothetically speaking.

Also, someone had mentioned metronidazole. Dangerous while drinking, safe with mdma. Here's a link to a study. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11601665/