Drug info - Easiest or Best way to Prepare and Consume Amanita Mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Amanita' started by antizero, Jan 26, 2006.

1. antizero

antizero Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    What would be the best way to prepare Amantia Muscaria for a trip? I'm getting an ounce, if that'll help form any recipies. Will cooking/heating them affect their psychoactive components?

Also, what, besides marijuana, will counteract nausea?

Thanks in advance.

2. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Amanita Muscaria should always be dried before feeding them to your monkey. Best way is to slowly heat them in a 140F oven until they snap apart like a soda cracker. Reason being is that you want to convert the ibotenic acid into muscimole before they are ingested. If monkey takes ibotenic acid, and it is converted in the body, monkey can have a convulsive reaction and get quite ill. They can then be eaten as is, or reconstituted in boiling water. Adding a spoonful of olive oil help to pad the entry and lessens nausea. Muscaria tea tastes rather like chicken soup! Yes - the monkey should eat the pieces as well. The Russians swear by taking with vodka, but they swear by that no matter what! LOL.

Always start your monkey low on these. The potency can and does vary all over the map. I have assayed a. muscaria where one mushroom was nearly devoid of actives, and one growing next to it was very potent indeed.

3. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    If fresh, dry them in the oven at the lowest setting, with the door cracked.
    Heat will help convert more toxic ibotenic acid into muscimol.

If already dry, most popular way to prepare is to powder them up and
    mix them into a cup of hot water (not quite boiling). Let them soak for about
    half an hour or so. 8g is a lower dose, while 15-20g is the higher end of
    the spectrum.

Weed goes good with amanita and helps counteract not only nausea, but
    also excessive salivation/drooling. Ginger is another popular preventative,
    as well as OTC products such as Dramamine (make sure you only take
    the recommended amount, or it'll knock you out).

LOL Nagognog, we replied at almost the same time.

4. antizero

antizero Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Thanks for the reply guys, and phungushead, trust me.. NO way I'lll be taking more than the recommended amount of dramamine again, one time I took an entire box shmashed up into a powder in a glass of water and I felt like the gravity of earth was increased 1000 fold. That + the amanitas = no good bad fellow.

5. Dogears

Dogears Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Drying them is important. It does seem to increase potency and might redusce nausia some as well. No not mix Amanitas with other random drugs.

Marijuana not only deals with the nausia well it also changes the trip in a very fun and interesting way. Just be carefull with the does of both the weed and the muscaria as this trip can very strong, very fast.

By the way A. pantheria is by far a better mushrooms than muscaria. Very little if any nausia, usually none, and often more potent.

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Pantherina are generally MUCH more potent. And the poster stated specifically that he was looking for ideas BESIDES marijuana. When test-piloting a new substance, the last thing a good monkey wants to do is mix it up with another psychotropic substance.

I wish they still taught reading in schools....among other things.

7. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Soma Preparation

NEVER USE THE FRESH MUSHROOM (fresh amanita muscaria is toxic !)

Picking the shrooms:
    I use to collect only the shroom caps (and leave the stem).
    You will find amanita muscaria growing wild in forest, from july to november (the best period beeing august-september).
    It often grows where ceps do grow (so if you know about an area where one can find ceps this is a good place to go for amanita muscaria hunting.
    You will find amanita muscaria in mountain & forest areas where there are birch (especially silver birch) or conifers such as fir trees or pines (the shroom will be growing in the shade of these trees or under some bush of the area if the trees are scattered)
    You will probably find more shrooms if it's been raining for a few days, followed by a few (2-3) sunny days (as humidity and heat is good for mushrooms).
    Amanita muscaria is very easy to identify (a redish or orange cap with small whitish spots on it). If you don't know what I'm talking about, just get an illustrated mushroom picking guide.
    If you have any doubts identifying a mushroom, just don't pick it (for instance if the mushroom has been too damaged by the weather so you cannot clearly identify it)
    Don't ever pick shrooms in a polluted area (for instance near a highway) as mushrooms acts just like sponges, absorbing all the toxins around them which could make you seriously sick (for the same reason I use not to pick Amanita Muscaria specimens which are growing just next to a deadly shroom such as Amanita Virosa or Amanita Phalloides)

Conservation:
    A.muscaria shrooms will rot quickly (within a few days) unless you dry them within 2days. The problem is that drying can be very difficult (even if you place the shrooms in the oven) as these shrooms are saturated with water (I never succeeded in drying these).
    So here's how I proceed:

12 hours at most (!) after picking the shroom caps, take a glass jar with lid and poor some quantity of strong drinkable (!) alcohol...anything which is 45-50% alcohol at least such as white rhum or vodka will do the trick, but the highest alcohol % the better (I use 96% drinkable alcohol which is sold for distillating liquors). One glass of 96% alcohol or 2 glasses of vodka will be enough.
    Then quickly wash the shrooms under fresh water and cut these into very small peaces. Place as much shroom pieces as you can in the jar, the less air left the better (I suggest you compress the shroom pieces so you can add more until the jar is filled to the brim). Once the jar is filled add a little more alcohol to cover the shrooms and close the jar tightly. Store the jar in the fridge (or in a cool & dark place)...this all procedure is intended to prevent the shrooms from rotting if you don't prepare them immediatly.
    Try not to store them for too long (let the shrooms soak in the jar for a week and then prepare them).

Preparation of Soma:
    Place the content of the jar in a blender (the shrooms in the jar should have released their water resulting in some messy paste with red-brownish juice).
    Blend them into the consistency of a "soup".
    Place this mixture in a pan. Place this pan in a bigger one filled with boiling water. Place a glass plate over the shroom pan to prevent excessive evaporation. Boil this for 3 hours.
    Note that cooking amanitas stink, it will smell bad in the all room, better do it in a well ventilated room, with all windows opened or under the hood).
    Filter through a piece of cloth (press/squeeze well to recover all the juice from the shroomy mush)
    Then filter the obtained juice through a cofee filter to get rid of the remaining small particles. This might take quite some time.
    You should end up with clear a redish-orange juice.
    Place all the juice in a large and shallow pyrex glass dish. Place this dish over a pan of boiling water until the liquid is evaporated, leaving a redish-brownish sticky residue. Scrap the residue with a razor blade.

Conservation:
    Place the residue in an airtight jar with lid, close it tightly and place it in a cool, dark and dry place (or in the fridge if you're sure that no water will enter the airtight jar).
    To avoid oxydation, I tend to use a tiny enough airtight container so the Soma paste fill it to the brim so there's little air space left in it (I use small plastic photo film boxes, which are airtight usually).
    Try not to keep it for too long (I suggest to use it within 6month at most).

Use:
    The Soma extract can either be smoked or eaten.

1) Smoking:
    Smoking will provide some definite relaxation with some "space", "weird" feeling associated to it. It's quite pleasant but the "high" (if one can call it that way) is much less strong than a marijuana buzz.
    To smoke it, take a cigarette. Remove the filter without damaging the yellow part of the cigarette envelope, and replace it with a piece of rolled paper.
    Make lots of very small holes all around the white part of trhe cigarette envelope (using a needle or toothpick). Spread some Soma paste all over it (don't put to much or the cigarette won't burn, just spread a very thin layer of extract all over the cigarette until there's no "white paper" left to be seen).
    Then take a cigarette paper (what is the english world for it? Rolling paper? you know, the paper stuff you roll your joints with), and stick it all around the cigarette (over the soma paste).
    And just smoke it ! I suggest you keep each toke in your lungs for 5 seconds for maximum effects.
    Note that the thick Soma paste often prevents the cigarette from burning well and you might need to strike it quite often (alsmost at each toke sometime).

2)Oral use:
    To get a real "trip" out of this extract you need to eat some of the extract (on empty stomach, meaning 4 hours after your last meal). I use to put it into gellcaps.
    Start with a low dose as amanita's potency may vary...
    ...I used 0.5g at first with very little effects (that was my very first time with A.Muscaria), on the next attempt I took 1g of the extract and got some definite effects but this wasn't a satisfying experience to me:
    I felt relaxed, somewhat drowsy, my mouth was a bit dry, warm feeling in my body, my eyes would be slighlty stinging (nothing really disturbing, probably due to some slight muscarinic effect), there was a slight pressure in my head, my blood pressure was slightly increased, I had a feeling of contentment (even if I felt irritable at a few moments), slight headache on the come down.
    The whole thing ended after 4-5h (which was a good thing as the trip was boring me, I was disapointed as it wasn't really unpleasant, but it wasn't really peasant neither, and it was absolutely not psychedelic.
    I had a slight pain in my back near my kidneys at T+7h, nothing serious I believe but I will report if I ever get this again on my next experiment (maybe A.Muscaria is a bit hard on liver/kidneys just like nutmeg is, not so sure).

Anyway, I need to experiment with higher dosages to draw conclusions about A.Muscaria ...It is said to be a nice psychedelic (in high doses) according to the erowid.org amanitas "effects page" which lists quite a lot of enjoyable effects and little negative ones.

If I do experiment again with this extract, I will report (I hope the extract is still good for use as I've been storing it in my room for over 6 months)...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  8. genaro

genaro Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    does any one know what are the degradation products of muscimol ?

9. Pharmacon23

Pharmacon23 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I didnt find much general info about the chemistry of muscimol, but swim knows that (in the body) muscimol will be turned back into ibotenic acid, when carbonated drinks are consumed, so dont use any carbonated soft drinks when trying to get high on amanitas, because ibotenic acid is toxic and has very weak hallucinogenic effects.

10. psychedelaholic

psychedelaholic Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from england
    How many grams of extract should SWIM expect to get from 20g of amanita? I would just make some tea with it but he hates the taste. Will the extract from 20g be enough to properly trip? I have done them before by simply eating 10g worth and did have a pretty interesting experience, very ethral and dream like but not that intense.

Would SWIM be able to simply soak the amanita in IPA overnight and leave that to evaporate as opposed to boiling it in water? as this would be far easier for him

11. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: best preperation

Nag, does You generally dry them at 140F? Swim emailed a reputable vendor he purchased Amanitas from asking how they prepared the mushrooms and got a reply saying they were dried in an oven at 180F. I think he has heard this figure elsewhere too.

12. dl5

dl5 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    What would be the easiest way of preparing A. Muscaria?

I recently ordered 25 Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds along with an ounce of A. Muscaria through the mail.
    The seeds made SWIM very sick, but SWIM probably could have taken more time with the skinning process. All in all it was a very unique trip for SWIM.
    Anyways, I was wondering the easiest way to prepare and take A. Muscaria, as well as how much one should take for the level of trip they desire.
    The shrooms appear to be pretty dry and brittle, and are yellowy colored with red caps. There is a fair amount of dust type shroom excess collected at the bottom of the bag, and SWIM wonders if all of it is usable.
    But I am unsure if extra drying is necessary.
    There are also a good amount of caps.
    I have considered simply eating the caps straight, or grinding everything up and letting it soak in hot water and then ingesting that.
    But SWIM also wonders about smoking the Muscaria after it is ground.
    SWIM also wants to reduce nausea as much as possible.
    Mainly, I want an easy, quick, and effective method of preparing and ingesting A. Muscaria, and how much one person should take after completing said method.

13. scyrusurcys

scyrusurcys Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: What would be the easiest way of preparing A. Muscaria?

SWIM ingested crushed Amanita Muscaria caps on 2 occassions using 1.) birthday cake and 2.) a Subway sandwich. The taste was covered by the sauce on the 2nd try, which made it a lot easier to ingest. I took 10g on each occasion. He fell asleep on the first try, which was a stupid thing to do since he missed all of the effects - but had some memorable dreams during his sleep. On the 2nd try, he managed to stay awake - very, very awake. He had an infinite amount of energy and feeling of content. He did not have any hallucinatory induced effects with this amount of Amanita, however.

He thinks that if he were to increase the dosage to 15-20g that he would have been able to have CEV or even OEV during the peak.

As for the grain that has accumulated in the bottom of the bag, I think that it could possibly be active, although not as much as the top layer of the Amanita caps.

14. PsychicTraveler

PsychicTraveler Silver Member

Reputation Points:

I think maybe the best part of Amanitas is the taste. I like the flavor, and the effects are less than noteworthy. SWIM's eaten 25+g straight and didn't feel any more than a SLIGHT dulling of the senses. Definately not worth $30.

But, smoking the red skins gets SWIM kind of high for a short time.

15. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

How did You eat them? Straight up? That sort of information is helpful to add when making qualitative comments about substances such as the fly agaric.

16. PsychicTraveler

Reputation Points:

Yes, dried stright out of the bag. And these were supposed to be A+ specimens from Latvia. They were a little orange, though.

What a disappointment. But, like I said, SWIM liked the taste so it wasn't a total waste.

17. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

^^^^^

If you see my thread in the Amanitas forum you'll see that a different preparation technique could possibly have an effect on the potency / effects of the fly agaric mushroom.

Also the "A+" - "B" - whatever gradings are meant to describe how the mushroom looks, nothing else. You're just paying more for prettier mushrooms. So long as you don't order from a terrible site you could at least get decent looking mushrooms that aren't complete with stems and dirt and suck as I has received in the past from crappier sites.

Also in the other thread there is a link to a place that tells you how to simply cook Amanitas for their taste (which apprently is quite good) without muscimol or ibotenic acid by straining them out with heated salt water first.

Might be worth looking at.

18. PsychicTraveler

Reputation Points:

The site SWIM ordered from assured him that they were heated until dry (at the proper temp) in order to convert all the bad to good. Also, there were no negative effects, so I don't think SWIM missed out on any of the potential. Maybe SWIM's an amanita hard-head? I wish they worked for SWIM, but I am more inclined to believe that, since placebos work, people might be adding wishful thinking to the actual effects.
    Why do you think they're legal?

19. Bajeda

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Be careful of what Ethno vendors tell you. As with anyone who sells legal mind altering substances over the internet, whatever site you bought from may not know alot about the substance themselves. The lack of good information on Amanitas anywhere on the net really including peer reviewed journal articles suggests that not enough is known about this substance so how the hell would the Ethno sellers know exactly how to use it?