1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Inhaling - Easy Ether

Discussion in 'Dissociatives' started by Meggy, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Meggy

Meggy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    You may know about the cheap easy way to make Ether.
    SWIM can spray Prestone Premium Starter Fluid into a bag and then mix with water till the ether seperates from the starter fluid. cut the corner off the bottom of the bag and drain the ether into a bottle. I have done it a few times and it definitely matches the fucked up ether trips from some of SWIM's friends.
    Now what I am wondering is how pure is this ether.

2. Stephenwolf

Stephenwolf Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    not very...from what i understand the water seperation method will not perfectly seperate the hydrocarbons (i think its hydrocarbons, w/e it is isn't a good idea to inhale) from the ether...this has been discussed before...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  3. fiveleggedrat

fiveleggedrat Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Not pure at all, and I'd venture to say unsafe to "use" for anything.

4. cra$h

cra$h Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from PA
    yea, this pops up every once in a while. the water extraction thing does work, but not good enough. But I couldn't find to much on how to make ether pure, but didn't look very hard I guess.

5. Waste

Waste Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I don't understand why anyone would do this, pure dyithyl ether is quite cheap bought online, by the time swimmers have paid for the starter fluid, they could have just bought a bottle of 99.5%+ pure stuff :s

6. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    SWIM wonders if You is not thinking of something else, as diethyl ether is a listed substance, and so can be difficult to actually obtain even if relatively cheap. where as starter fluid is cheap, legal and easy to obtain.

Saying this I would advise no one to attempt using starter fluid to make ether, for reasons this thread has already mentioned.

Peace
    Geezaman

7. gmeziscool2354

gmeziscool2354 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.
    yeah, erowid lists that "[Erowid Warning: The “water extraction” method is ineffective in separating diethyl ether from the volatile hydrocarbon liquids/gases in “starter fluid”. Our understanding of the literature is that there is no such thing as safe use of volatile hydrocarbon gases: their psychoactive effects are inseparable from nerve and organ damage"

so yeah, this is what the experts say. if You is willing to takes these risks, go for it.

Diethylethers effects are really not that great, they are greatly exagerated in the movies. Swim's chemistry professor always said that diethyl ether effects are virtually undistinguishable from booze at low levels and the effects it provides taht are unique from EtOh are usually considered unplessant

8. Pondlife

Pondlife Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
  9. cra$h

cra$h Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from PA
    I'm always hearing about poor extraction, but no one leads me to a place where a proper extraction can be done. Distillation seems like an option though. Swim'll keep looking, and help would be appriciated.

10. gmeziscool2354

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.
    well, it isn't that hard to get diethylether

swim knows for sure that he can order it onlne

but can't really tell anything else due to the forum rules

11. Meggy

Meggy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    alcohol is not even close to an ether trip. I has done just about every drug known to man and ether has been the most fucked up trip. if one does ether for a few hours stuff gets pretty insane. one of my trips still messes with my head to this day.

12. dazedandconfused44

dazedandconfused44 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o
    I believe one can obtain ether by the following....

1. mason jar
    2. starter fluid
    3. water
    4. eye dropper

procedure:

1. fill bottle half way with starter fluid and the other half with water.

2. place the lid on the mason jar and shake the shit out of it for a good 5 mins or so

3. draw off the top layer with the eye dropper and discard the water layer

4. store in sealed container

13. Stephenwolf

Stephenwolf Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    Bob, Your method is nearly identical to the OP's method, which has been stated as Inaffective at purification.

14. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I hope you guys realize that you're huffing heptane.

15. Greenport

Greenport Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    If it is distilled out one is not - heptane's boiling point is 60C higher than diethyl ether and thus can easily be separated via distillation. Also, heptane (unlike hexane and other alkanes) is pretty nontoxic (albeit huffing ether or heptane is generally not that good of an idea, but for purification purposes this could work.)

16. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ^ Under discussion is the so-called-"water method," not distillation.

17. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I am aware he is being lazy here, but perhaps someone with very good chemical and substance knowledge (better than my) could state or conjecture the other substances that would be left by the extremely crude extraction the methods in this thread would result in.

So far we seem to have heptane, but SWIgreenport has pointed out its boiling point is 60c higher and so can potentially be removed.

If anyone knows or takes the time to discover the other started fluid chemicals that would be left by the extraction, and can post them here, then at least those who will proceed with this extraction will know what other chemicals they are exposing themselves too... link that with a description of the harm caused by those chemicals and a few people may think twice and decide not to bother.

In addition to this some individuals may wish and be able to then take further steps of evaporation/condensation to further purify their extremely crude ether and reduce and harm they may suffer. (It would seem logical that the heptane at-least could be removed with a 60c difference in boiling temp existing between it and the ether).

This would seem to build a more conclusive reason as to why not to than "don't do it its badddd" or "i do it all the time its good" etc.

Lets raise this threads content quality to a respectable level!

Peace
    Geezaman

18. Pondlife

Pondlife Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    If we assume starter fluid is a mixture of heptane and diethyl ether, then shaking it with water and discarding the water layer will do nothing to purify the ether or get rid of the heptane. In fact it will make things worse, because the water will dissolve some of the ether so you'll end up with less in the end product.

This is because heptane and other simple hydrocarbons are to all intents and purposes totally insoluble in water. But diethyl ether is slightly soluble in water. From Merck:

So the water will dissolve up to about 8% of its weight in ether. After shaking with water, you'll end up with a heptane/ether mix plus a water layer containing some dissolved ether.

I guess if you had enough water, you could dissolve all the ether in it and then extract the ether from the water, but the method described above does not seem to do this.

In summary, I've never understood this water extraction/purification process, and it sounds like bunk to me.

Moving onto distillation, this looks possible as the BP of ether is 35 C and heptane is around 100 C. The big issue is that ether is highly flammable, and the ignition temperature is only 170 C, so it's easily ignited by a hotplate. It's very dangerous to distill ether without special precautions: no flames or hot surfaces, heat using steam.

Another possible issue for distillation is heptane and ether may form an azeotrope, which would prevent total separation.

19. gmeziscool2354

Reputation Points:
    29 y/o from U.S.A.
    yeah to do an efficient extraction one would need lab gear, ie a fractional distillation apparatus

20. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    So From my understanding of SWIpondlifes recent post.

If some idiot were to pour a kettle of near to boiling water into a bowl and then put a a dish ontop with an ether heptane mix only the ether and not the heptane would evaporate? then if the idiot could provide a suitably cold surface above this the evaporating ether, then it (and in a normal environment perhaps water) would condense?

Perhaps ( based on info from this thread so far) "idiot" would be producing a cleaner extract than the "mix with water and shake" method, even if involving a bit more effort.

So what else is in starter fluid other than ether and heptane?

Peace
    Geezaman