1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Oral use - Eat before taking Tramadol?

Discussion in 'Tramadol' started by picuru, Nov 28, 2011.

1. picuru

picuru Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi, i have some tramadol caps, how would be the best way to take it? Eating and taking Tramadol? Or taking it with a empty stomach?
    Thanks!

2. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Try taking some with some food this time, if it isn't to your liking, try taking it with out food next time.

3. picuru

picuru Newbie

Reputation Points:
    But whats the difference?

4. LoveNwar

LoveNwar

Reputation Points:
    Yeeeeessss! It makes a big difference. My mother took some tramadol while on an empty stomach and she nearly had a seizure. Not Joking.

5. picuru

picuru Newbie

Reputation Points:
    So whats the difference?

6. StinkinLincoln

StinkinLincoln Newbie

Reputation Points:
    the effects will be more intense on an empty stomach but SWIM thinks they upset his stomach so he doesnt like to take them...also keep in mind tramadol can cause seizures...it is SWIM's opinion that if your going to experiment tramadol is not the drug to do it with

7. MangroveShark

MangroveShark Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    My shark-friend has been taking a large amount (500-600 mg each day) of tramadol for four years. When she takes it on an empty stomach, it produces a euphoric feeling for her. However, it's not always practical to avoid eating. What works second-best is to take the dosage and then eat immediately afterward. When my shark-friend eats a large meal and then takes her tramadol, she feels no effects at all.

My shark-friend would also like to encourage you to read the threads about tramadol addiction and withdrawal before you make an uninformed decision about starting down this road. (She realizes that the original poster may not be reading this anymore, but she thinks it may help someone else who comes along with the same question.)

8. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    I don't know how much more info the OP needed, one involves your stomach having food in it, the other doesn't. How that will effect things is pretty subjective.

Tramadol causes seizures, the grandmother's seizure came from the tramadol, not an empty stomach.

above 400mg is quite dangerous and not recommended as seizures can result. I hope you consider getting treatment, or at least switching to a real opiate with out the seizure risk.

9. Gryzor

Gryzor Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Non-acidic foods are preferable. Banana's and cereal with milk work well. A small to moderate sized meal as nausea can be a common side effect taken on empty. The capsules of IR tramadol dissolve almost in saliva so suffice to say they don't last long with hydrochloric acid in your stomach. Some report antacids helping them feel the drug better i.e. gravol but no major difference imo unless taken with a huge meal.

10. edgewise1

edgewise1 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I've done/do it both ways. One of the effects of Tramadol, for me at least, is that it simply kills my appetite. As said above, when taken on an empty stomach the effects come up faster, but stomach upset is always possible. I've found that laying down for 10 to 15 minutes will usually take care of this. There were times, during my higher dosing day's, that I would actually throw up, but it would come up empty as there was nothing in my stomach to throw-up. Afterwards it would settle down with no more problems.

As I mentioned above, Tramadol really takes my appetite away. I usually take 2 dose's a day, and if I take the second dose prior to eating supper, supper may sit on the stove for a few hours before I feel like I can eat it. This sometimes make's for a very dried out, overdone, supper!