1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Health - eating baking soda?

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by Lil Dragonfly, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Lil Dragonfly

Lil Dragonfly Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I want to know how much baking soda she can eat on a long-term basis without running into health problems.

Well, without running into significant health problems at least. Minor health problems she is willing to put up with.

P.S. By baking soda I mean exactly that, the baking soda you buy in the store. I am not using it as a nickname or slang name for some psychoactive substance.

2. TicksAndLeaches

TicksAndLeaches Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    why would You eat baking soda? is it for the taste or to potentiate opiates?

3. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well, I might say that is an odd habit.. But baking soda is in loads of foods you eat.. I don't think it's particularly harmful, but excess sodium is probably not a great part of a healthy diet..

Actually upon further research I found this on wikipedia:

So small amounts or in food are probably fine, however eating a box of baking soda is probably pretty unhealthy..

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  4. oblihatni

oblihatni Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from South Africa
    Why would You want to do that? Rennies works fine. It all depends on how often You chows baking soda. If it is numerous times per day, the stomach acids will eventually be neutralized (temporarily) which would result in poor digestion. Nutrients would not be absorbed as well since the colon had no help from the stomach to digest. The effects will probably be similar to eating McDonalds ONLY for a lengthy period. At least take some vitamin-mineral pills if You plans to continue this experiment.

Please note that I have not done biochemistry for a while, so the information is debatable.

5. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I seem to be rather senesitive in the bowels when it comes to baking soda, a spoonful will result in one of those I-think-I-have-gas-now-my pants-are-wet issues the next day. However, this does not seem to be universal and is probably not an issue for most people.

6. Veksul

Veksul Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    May I ask why You wants to eat baking soda?

Sure, I have once seen a man snort a line of baking soda up their nose. But this was an elaborate attempt to stave off fiending for more cocaine; whether it was an effective placebo I cannot report. I guess part of the high could arguably be from the act of snorting itself.. but I digress. What possesses You to eat baking soda? Any benefits? Enjoy the taste perhaps? I am really curious actually :s

7. evilisin

evilisin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have a grand mother that eats a spoonful of baking soda after every meal.
    She has been doing this at least 35 years, and probably even longer than that.
    She has no health problems, besides diabetes, which she got when she was 78 years old, and as a side effect of medications.

8. chibi curmudgeon

chibi curmudgeon Gold Finger Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Baking soda is alkaline and neutralizes stomach acid when eaten. A spoonful is probably overkill, a large pinch is usually enough for acid reflux.

Eating large amounts, especially with or before food, is going to inhibit your ability to absorb certain vitamins. Plus, sodium bicarbonate contains...wait for it...sodium! And that's not something most people need a lot of. If you do, ramen is a far more delicious source.

If you find yourself craving baking soda, that's called pica and it's usually a sign of a nutrient deficiency (not sodium.)

9. nonymouse77

nonymouse77 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from U.S.A.
    baking soda is of possible benefit to avoid radiation contamination (think 2011 Fukishima-some say it is worse than Chernobyl and that there is a cover up but the fallout is showing up in radioactive tuna in California in 2012 and radioactive milk from California although they say it is still at a "safe" standard.)

simple remedy for radiation exposure that the army recommends: baking soda. Oral baking soda diminishes the severity of the changes that uranium creates in the kidneys. Bathing in baking soda (1-3 pounds per bath, depending on severity of exposure) and in magnesium salts (magnesium chloride or epsom salts) binds to uranium on the skin and some soaks into the body. Sodium bicarbinate has been used to clean soil contaminated with uranium. You can also boil baking soda in water and breathe the steam (carefully!) as a nebulizer to bind with any uranium breathed into the lungs. So keeping 10 or more pounds of baking soda on hand is an inexpensive preparation.

Other home remedies that have been shown to help:

High dose vitamin C
    Chlorella and spirulina
    Miso soup and seaweed
    Cilantro
    Internal consumption of edible clay and clay baths
    Sulphur-rich foods like broccoli, cabbage and mustard greens
    Chlorophyll and chlorophyll-rich foods such as wheat and barley grass
    Pine bark extract, green tea extract, grape seed extract, dandelion root extract
    Gingko biloba
    Aloe vera and curcumin (tumeric) for skin damage

Some of these things may be good to use after CT scans and other diagnostic and treatment radiation exposure as well.>

that is what I found when looking up how to have a brighter post fallout tmorow...but I haven't done any of it yet, and am still drinking milk...but only Wisconsin milk.

10. Mindless

Mindless Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Baking soda is a salt, or sodium. There are varying figures given for a recommended daily amount of sodium, many say this is around 2.4 grams although this wouldn't account for individual variations. As long as your sodium use (including the bicarbonate) is within sensible limits eating baking soda daily might not cause any health problems. How much do you consume? If you're talking about large amounts of baking soda, Chibi's suggestion of pica and dietary deficiency could be worth looking into.

In daily life regular high intake of sodium is not recommended due to the impact it has on blood pressure. When our sodium levels become too high, salt enters the circulatory system or bloodstream, as the kidneys are not able to excrete this excess sodium via urine as usual. This salt increases volume of blood by attracting water, which increases blood pressure. High blood pressure is a significant risk factor for diseases such as heart attacks and strokes. It is also noteworthy that much of most peoples daily salt intake comes from packaged and processed food, most of us have little idea of how much we use.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012