1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Oral use - Eating Butane Hash Oil

Discussion in 'Hashish & BHO' started by alpine, Aug 20, 2008.

1. alpine

alpine Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Can it just be eaten as is? Does SWIM need to do anything special to it to get the THC into his system? And How much should SWIM eat?

Maybe I will take a hoot in the meantime.

2. Panthers007

Panthers007 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    THC is not water-soluble - or soluble in dilute acids such as in the stomach. To be ingested, it has to be first dissolved in fats/oils. UTFSE (search engine) for recipes.

3. alpine

alpine Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Damn, Swim thought that it was just hard for the stomach to get it out of the plant matter. Well I guess Swim can make butter from hash oil.

And I tried the search first and was still unsure if hash oil was okay to eat.

4. FuBai

FuBai Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    There is a myth that orally consumed cannabis is inactive. Cannabis buds can be consumed directly, and some of the earliest accounts of cannabis use simply involve eating cannabis plant material, without lipids being consumed in conjunction. However, such consumption does appear to be less effective than using a lipid based vehicle for it. I have personally consumed cannabis without any lipid vehicle (that includes eating high fat foods for at least 4-6 hours before and 3-4 hours afterwards) and has achieved a very intense, almost hallucinogenic, high. The only form of preparation was to heat it in a small amount of water until all the water had evaporated, as a method by which to clean the material without losing potency.

As for cannabis oil, I have heard of it being added directly to foods such as pasta/spagetti bolognasie, alcoholic drinks similar to a bloody mary, oriental noodle dishes etc. I do not know about consuming it directly, although there seems to me no reason why it would not deliver a high, although I should imagine that the required dose would be greater than if it had a lipid vehicle.

5. Burnt

Burnt Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    just cook with it. its easy to work with it dissolves in lots of oils and butter. just add it to whatever cake or oil based sauce you want. I used to do this but be careful its strong stuff ;)

if the plant material or the oil has not been heated it will not be active enough so heating is a requirement. to decarboxylate the THC acid into neutral THC. this wont really happen in your gut.

this is sort of true sort of not true. neutral delta 9 THC will absorb into the body if ingested. however if the plant material is mostly THC-acid which is whats actually made in the plant THC is an artificat if you look at it that way. basically the fresher material most of the THC with be in its acid form, THC-acid is inactive and has no psychoactive effects. thats proven. notice how you heated the material heating or long term storage is required to turn THC-acid into THC. thats the key to this whole situation. plus solubility and absorbtion factors come into play but the important thing is that THC-acid doesnt do anything to brain.

6. therustedgauge

therustedgauge Newbie

Reputation Points:
    don't ingest; burn an entire cigarette down leaving the ash in one solid length, and then with the oil warm drip drop onto the ash and make sure a good blob goes on the tip of the ash, and smoke it w/ a straw as it dissolves down.

...or do the butter stuff all those people told you to :)

therustedgauge added 0 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

*light the tip of the ash and you'll watch it burn down

greatest effect, less waste this way.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  7. toostoned

toostoned Newbie

Reputation Points:
    You can eat the butane oil just the way it is. Put a few drops of a gram dose of honey color or green (black) onto an oreo. It is awesome. Been a method of mine for years...daily. You will get really gone on first consumption.

8. swimo

swimo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    "Cannabis buds can be consumed directly, and some of the earliest accounts of cannabis use simply involve eating cannabis plant material, without lipids being consumed in conjunction. However, such consumption does appear to be less effective than using a lipid based vehicle for it"

spot on swimmer, also. alot of oils have the solvent"cooked off" heat activates the THC ,also my cat has eaten about 3-4 grams of oil in a capsule ( it was green oil that was just evaporated and not cooked since a food grade solvent was used ) and my kitty nodded out way harder than from benzos and before he nodded out he had great euphoria

9. profesor

profesor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Colorado, U.S.A.
    Calling it "Butane Hash Oil" is confusing, especially in this context. Eating it has nothing to do with how it is extracted and processed. I had to do some googling because I knew that butane evaporates at a very low temperature and calling it "butane" hash implies that there is somehow butane in it. There is no butane left after it is processed into oil.
    In addition, it is like calling cheese "lactobacillus milk solids" or closer; calling a fine aged whiskey "heat distilled yeast beverage" It would offends a connoisseur's sensibilities. Or, so I am told.

10. swimo

swimo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    And by the way.... Hash oil is made from HASH not weed

11. Phaeton

Phaeton Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    65 y/o from Alaska, U.S.A.
    Used a bunch of bud oil (35 mg) in coffee with cream. Made for sticky teeth and took over an hour to digest its way to the brain.
    A teaspoon full (4 grams) in two dozen chocolate chip cookies tasted better and a single cookie (17 mg) worked in about thiry minutes.

And to be sure this is not considered a one liner:
    The simian makes his hash from weed. This is sematics more than a difference in product.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  12. al-k-mist

al-k-mist Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I hate to be the one to bring it to your attention, swimo, but BHO, (also known as Butane Honey Oil, or Butane Hash Oil, professor, and that is what it is called everywhere it exists, also errl, oil, wax, earwax, budder, whip, honeycomb, and any other name people want to call it) is hash oil. This is , more often than not, made from weed, and to be more precise, made from waste products or byproducts. Mostly. Sometimes its made from buds, and even high end buds, or low quality hash, such as the 160 bag(contaminant removal bag) and the 25 bag(which just collects the rest of the stuff, not the good stuff in the 90 or 73 bag, even 45). yes, sometimes these grades of hash are used to make BHO, but mostly it is trim, and small popcorn nuggets. THe buds on colas that get grey mold or PM, these often have the mold removed and the bud is dried somewhere else for BHO, since the mold spores are not soluble in butane but are in water
    What Im saying, longwinded tho I am, is that BHO is rarely made from hash. That is only for cannasuers or medical patients who desire a purer or stronger medicine

HOw much to eat? My 'estimate' is that 1/4 - 1/5 of a gram would be a dose for me , so if I were you, then I would start with half of this.
    Scaled up, this would be a recipe that takes 6g of BHO and makes 30 doses, treats, cookies, caramels.( my friends cannabis caramel recipe will have you begging for more, before you fall asleep , and its here...
    Anyways, I came to this figure by guesswork. If an oz of bud gives about 4g, but isnt the most efficient extraction, maybe 6g of BHO = the cannabinoids in an oz. Which is about 30 doses of good pain meds, when its the trim from the collective and our caramel recipe it can be more) which is 1/5 of a gram.

13. JJ1234

JJ1234 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah it may absorb better if dissolved in a fatty solution but it will work just dandy as is. This isn't going by what i have read but by personal experience.

Keep in mind that oral use takes a bit more than smoking, but also last longer and is a completely different high IMO.

14. al-k-mist

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Thanks,, JJ
    How much was consumed??

15. JJ1234

JJ1234 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Many different occasions so anywhere from say 50mg up to 500mg. Higher amounts can cause some pretty vivid hallucinations and also induced sleep.

16. al-k-mist

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Hmm, if its a possibility, one morning when i get up to use the bathroom, maybe I can take 100mg and go back to sleep, and see if I feel medicated when I wake up for the day

17. westie420uk

westie420uk Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from england
    I cant believe i've been making & smoking my own BHO for years & have only just realized that BHO stands for Butane Hash Oil! I've always called it Honey Bee Oil as that was the name of the thingimybob i used to make it, i just assumed BHO was the chemical name for the butane, What a dumb ass! SMH!

18. swimo

swimo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Calling weed oil hash oil is more of a slang term than anything , if you have smoked real HASH oil made from HASH you will know why I'm so specific about terminology , real HASH oil is better than buddered butane honey oil IMO , that stuff you make with leaf and or buds and iso or butane is NOT real hash oil

19. Phaeton

Phaeton Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    65 y/o from Alaska, U.S.A.
    I am fine with any name.

Oil made from hash is different than oil made from bud and different again from oil made from shake.

Personal preference. My preference is for bud oil, smoother with less aftertaste.
    Tom likes the hash oil, a lot more. He admits it hurts the lungs, a sharper pain rather than an expansion.
    Tate calls shake oil 'twister', I agree as it certainly twists my lungs up, sharp and expanding. I will pass if that is all that's available.

Semantics, as long as we understand each other all is cool.

The ratio's of the resins and oils make a large initial difference, two hours down the road and similarities dominate.

Much rather drink wine than rum, but two hours later the drunk is pretty similar.

20. zerozerohero

zerozerohero Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Guys, there is no question about semantics, get some proper info and see for yourselves - even in Hash-producing countries, they don't make oil using the hash, be it in morocco or afghanistan or india or anywhere else. The process itself does not make sense technically and economically.
    They will indeed pour rests or bad batches (rotten, moldy etc.) into the mixture as well if such a thing is on hand, but they don't make hash to transform it to oil afterwards, that's merely a legend. What they will do is extract from the weed that's been used to produce different qualities of hash already and produce a range of stuff, going from that dark-green or dark-brown oil to soapbar, using the same solvents and same base material...

Furthermore, i challenge anyone to differentiate BHO made entirely from buds (which, honestly, i've only very rarely heard off) and BHO made from buds, leaves and trim of the same plant in a blind-test, especially if the manufacturer knows how to work and is well equipped. Most producers will sell the weed and use the remains (trim, shake, moldy buds etc) to make BHO and bubble hash, which also makes much more sense economically. Other types of oils, iso- or such, are an entirely different thing, as they do extract way more material from the base ingredient than butane would and yield an entirely different product. Which brings me to another point: what most people believe to be hash-oil because of the colour and smell, is produced in morocco from rests of weed (no fresh unused buds there) and eventually the unsellable rests of hash they found rotting in some corner of a warehouse. The process usually involves alcohol (ethanol, not iso, as opposed to what most would do - don't ask me why, that's how i saw it done many times with my own eyes in morocco) and sometimes really nasty stuff, the same solvents that one can often smell in soapbar hash. The resulting stuff is potent but in reality, it's just unhealthy as can be and i always asked myself what exactly made me more high - the thc in the oil or the residual shit that's in there as well.

To come back to the original subject of this thread, i'm amongst the people who get full effects without cooking the hash, bud or oil that i ingest - i tried all different ways and there's no difference to me, so we're maybe not all equal in that. I therefore would recommend to cook it into some edibles as mentioned by others before me, just in order to make sure you get the full bang. I couldn't evaluate a quantity, as different processes with different typed of weed will yield different oils with different potencies. If i were you, i'd start small (250mg max) and wait at least two hours before doing anything more. Orally consumed cannabis can scare off even the most experienced smoker when doses get too high too quick.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012